Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TV Diggers ..still acting like idiots

Elton, its one thing to say that you think our antics are a little outlandish but to say that we are acting like idiots is harsh. I totally understand that some people may not like the show and am totally fine with that. But its real I cant count the number of times that we have ran around jumped up and down and went crazy over something great that we have found, Its not just for the show, that's how we really are we don't act like that when we are in someones private yard but out in a field having found a seated coin or Barber half you bet your but we jump and yell. Our DVDs have a ton of dumb Monty python type skits burps farts fun and yelling and we have always had a pretty large following. Nat Geo approached KG and RM because of the DVDs and how funny they were not because they were informative and showed proper techniques. I am sad that they couldn't make the show more like the DVDs but hey that's the production companies choice. Tim and George just show up and detect where told. They had a chance to detect some unbelievable places and meet some great people, They spent 6 months away from their family and jobs working very long boring hours most days not being able to detect at all, Heck when they were up on my mining claim filming the gold prospecting episode I became very irritated with not being able to actually do much prospecting and having a camera pointed in your face and having to repeat something you said like 400 times. I hope that all who watch just keep in mind how hard it was to do this, and that they had to take time off work and away from their family ( and they are very family orientated ) not to mention missing hunting season and we haven't had man night in at least that long ( we get together every Friday and play guitar and drink some beer) To bring a show to the masses not knowing how it was going to turn out in the end. Anyway I don't want to rant anymore :0)

There is no need for personal attacks over someones opinion if a TV show is liked or disliked Travis. Implying that Elton, or any of our Moderators are not nice people because they help keep Finds Forums on an even keel is quite immature of you. You are stepping on more toes than Elton's with your comment since I hand pick and guide many of the Moderators here, ALL of them well respected, level headed individuals.

Since this thread has more to do with "opinions" than Metal detecting, I am moving it to the General Interests Forum ......... let's not get all bent out of shape because someone does not agree with you, everyone has an opinion.

No bending was done, and I really don't feel like I was attacking, more defending the choice of words from a moderator towards our group. I have known Elton on this forum for some time and have had dealings with him on the classifieds and he is a stand up guy. And I really don't get that upset with what some people think but it hurt a little to have someone who has always been so positive and fair make such a harsh statement. How is the word idiots an even keel? If I made a statement like that about anyone on here I would hope that any of the moderators would remove it immediately, but I guess that even isn't always even.

Not even suggesting others do not watch it Montana... Just saying from my view point it wasn't for me...... and in my opinion only, "it isn't how I would act in public while detecting"..
I most certainly would not detect with others who acted the way I viewed their actions for the part of the show I saw.....

It's all in perception !!

Ya Elton its a blast, Tim and Bones have been playing for years Tim was in a band called no spokes back in the 80's I just started playing a few years ago and they make fun of me because I play the tenor guitar. But we have a great time.

Just didn't expect that calibur show on National Geographic ....... usually associated with Human Interest productions on the serious side, or geographic areas of interest !! .........:thumbup:

Hi Elton, and thanks for the second thread, I happened upon the Diggers as they were comming on last night and decided to watch for any changes. Nope , I saw very little for the better, though I read somewhere and agree,the " fellers' were promoted to being more personable characters. They surely were,which, they soon managed with their loonacy to destroy any good thereby gained.Also the Big $$ signs aimed square between potential Noobie eyeballs was phased back just a bit, but leaving the "Potential" $$ value imbedded square between said eyeballs.Archies the world over are surely doing their Happy Dances(with Glee) every time an episode aires. "Agenda," folks, it's all about agenda whether you realize it or not, and it is not good for our hobby.Many favorable reports on the fellers have complaints about their behaviour, so I would have to ask what happened to "our" wishes for presenting a Good impression to all our non diggin friends, neighbors, and Public"? How much "Fav"are you willing to give their Agenda? I believe you will find there are far more of us Not eating dirt than those that are. Thanks to you too JB for what you said (in other thread) about Nat Geo Programing being more in line with the Cartoon Channell. We all know you know your detecting and allways appreciate your input! Lol, your thoughts helped me feel more better about myself and my watching so much Sponge Bob lately.Hey, he makes more sense than most of what is on TV now and I can watch him for a laugh, or for a nap and not feel embarrassed while watching. Nuff said,and Happy Hunting Everyone! Charlie

n/t

n/t

I flipped over to that show for one minute, and as soon as I saw the one guy pick up an old doll laying in plain site at a ghost town or whatever, I said "that's enough for me" and I turned the channel. I don't need to see the rest to know what I'd probably have seen. After hearing a few friends in Emails tell me the gory details of running around and such and the continued emphasis on the price of found items, I knew it was the same old story as last time.

But I don't want you guys to worry- Some feel that these shows will increase our competition among detecting sites. People, the reality is that there is only a very small percentage of the population with the personality traits to stick with this hobby IMO. They must be fascinated by one of several things- old coins, relics, or history. Sure, some who get into this hobby are, but when they realize how hard it is then many of them still give it up real quick. To have sticking power you've got to have some form of fascination with some aspect of this hobby, and even then then that's not enough to keep most people in it in the long run. To go beyond that, and push yourself and your machine beyond what "most" others can do, in order to still find stuff at "dead" sites, takes a real kind of passion that I don't think anybody can put a finger on. I ain't saying we are all alike in this hobby, only that there is a "certain something" there at keeps us in it that the hardships would have long since made others leave it for other pass times.

So, all in all, an increase in people hunting? Sure, a bit, in a short flurry, but quickly the numbers will once again drop to a certain fixed percentage of the population, which is very small IMO. So the end result is a benefit to us, as there should be a bunch of used machines on the market pushing prices down, but then again many of these people buy machines that most of us wouldn't touch with a ten foot poll for various reasons. Still, some will seek out advice and buy the cream of the crop heavy hitters that many of us serious in this hobby gravitate to, so for that reason there should be some real good deals out there in the coming months. :thumbup: Just look at how everybody went Geiger counter crazy back in the day when the government said they'd pay for finding uranium. Tons of those machines sold back then.

PS- The one sad thing though, where the real damage is done, is at least on some of these shows they are acting like thugs, or they are running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, making our hobby look even more "out there" than it already does to the average Joe. I'm sure most of us are aware that the public often treats our hobby as strange and that we must have a few screws loose. Running around yapping does NOT help that perception. We might yet find that we are subject to mental health "authorities" if this stuff keeps up. :biggrin:

Ah, but we are beholden to our opinions of the moderators or the way this sight is governed. Now I will receive a personal message stating to stop causing trouble just like I did last time the show aired. One sided for sure.

GateKeeper said:
Dropping pants and running to the outhouse. Climbing in a doghouse. Ask yourself this, Is this how you would
act on someone Elses property?

BIG THUMBS UP on that remark! I'd be ashamed to act like that anywhere, but especially on private property. That does NOT do our hobby any favors in terms of gaining permission IMHO, just like American Diggers doesn't with it's thuggish run ins with property owners and others. Seems like we've got one extreme or the other here? Where's the middle, where I bet most of us lurk? If a show is done right it doesn't need to resort to the extremes. Good reason why documentaries on the history channel or animal planet are so popular. Make it about the hobby and history, not about the people (unless it's a good human interest story of course).

I am also a small game/deer hunter, and I can tell you that the first rule and last rule is RESPECT THE PROPERTY. That involves both responsibility (closing gates and such), and also not acting in any outlandish way to draw undue attention to the property, it's owners, or what I'm doing there.

I can say that, as avid as I am about this hobby of detecting, if somebody was acting that way on my land I'd tell them to get out and stay out. It doesn't do them or me, as the property owner, respect.

Just my opinion, but I can say that in our circle of long time local hunters, we don't use "special words" for stuff, unless of course we are talking about detector settings or the more common "found a merc, found a wheatie" type of stuff you always see posted in the forums. If I said something like "I see circular optical qualities here" (a totally made up example of course), I doubt I'd be invited along on too many future hunts with the people I hang with. :biggrin:

Nor do we jump around like we are on Dancing With The Stars when we find something good. Do we get excited? Sure, but on private land or in public, we are representing this hobby, so the most antics we'll do is say "Way to go!" and slap somebody on the back or something, and then maybe bust our friend's chops a bit about how it's about time they found something good because the rest of us are getting sick of carrying home all that heavy silver.

That's just me though. Tell me, do any of you other guys out there have code words for detecting that we don't see posted in the forums, and do you guys do something like say the Funky Chicken when you find something good? I ain't seen that yet in all my years of detecting, but once again that's just me here...

gunsil said:
What I'd like to know, and you Montana guys should answer, is do you have to give ALL the good stuff you find at these sites which are restricted to the rest of us to the organizations that maintain these historical sites??? What are your archeologist's credentials??

Now THAT'S a good question. :shrug:

If I'm in an open field with my buddies you bet I would jump up and start running around if I found something great. I did it when I found my first large cent and all of my seated coins. mostly I just start yelling and pounding the ground like I did when I found my first barber half or my dollar. I or we don't if we are in someones private front yard but hey even we have our limits. If you found a gold coin would you just get up and say wow what a great find, Yay. Would you not want to run around yelling in excitement? We live in Montana and old coins don't come easy so when we find something unique its a never ending blaze of greatness, and we live on that high for at least a week.

Critterhunter said:
The one sad thing though, where the real damage is done, is at least on some of these shows they are acting like thugs, or they are running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, making our hobby look even more "out there" than it already does to the average Joe.

Clarification...I ain't saying they do this on this particular show, but rather was referring to American Diggers or whatever it's called that that former wrestler is on.

Also, about the doll thing...My meaning was that I just thought that whole thing was very "odd" to me. Bizarre in fact, to the point that I knew this wasn't going to be my cup of tea here. To each his own, but I prefer a good beer...:biggrin:

To send to Nat Geo expressing our opinions about the content of the show................MO

Maybe this show should have been aired on Animal Planet. :nopity:

I will say this for Montana, he is really taking a beating here for sticking up for his pal's.
That's a true friend and team player, but your friend's are amature's. I myself and many
guy's here, as well as you guy's have found old coin's before.

Act like you have been there before. But it's too late. The show has already been taped and
the damage has already been done. Looks like another Jersey Shore Or Kadashian type show.

So sad.

Armatures, yes for sure. Totally have no idea how a good detectorist is how to act. We totally missed that chapter in the how to have a hobby handbook.

It's called acting like a mature adult. Maybe you missed that one. I guess we can put one together for you.

I will give them this thou, I laughed my ass off when George woke up to the doll in his face. I think anyone
of us would have done that to our buddies.