Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 WORTH IT?

nuggetbuster

For you guys out there that sold their detectors to buy the V3 I've got to ask was it worth it? Thats some big bucks for that machine And I guess Im looking for someone to talk me into it or out of it!:unsure:

If you need me to make your decision then you really don't need it. Just my 2 cents. Rob

1st - I didn't sell anything so I can get the Vision
2nd - Big bucks - Consider it a hobby -- I spend and spent more on some of my other hobbies.
3rd - Only you should talk yourself into or out of one.

I haven't learned all the in & outs on the Vision by far - I'm very gradual and never in a hurry. So far I like the Vision all well I like several of my other detectors. It is intriguing to me having a different type of display in color and the data that it provides. I also really like the headphone wireless feature. There is also a handful of preset programs and it enables a load of tweaks to the programs.
So far - no regrets.

I just bought one myself and went through the same mental machinations of justifying the purchase. The key thing that sold me on it was the following:

1) 3 Frequency operation, I think this makes it more multi-purpose than other machines in this market. I think this also makes it
very possibly the machine to beat in the future. (The Minelab ETRAC seems to have a very loyal following, and seems to be a great machine as well)

2) I like the ablity to tune the machine, which makes it very versatile. The drawback to this is you have to learn a little more about it
and what buttons to push, and when. But I don't consider this very difficult after reading a lot of the posts on this forum.

3) I like Whites, their customer service is excellent, and they have been putting out GREAT products for many years I've been a user of their machines for 20 plus years and never been disappointed with them.

In this economy I want to keep jobs in the US, Whites is a US manufacturer, and that appeals to me.

Yes it was worth it for me. I came from an MXT which was an excellent detector if you knew how to use it. The same goes for the V3, too many people want it to do everything without spending the time to do some learning on their own. I will really be giving it a workout this winter under different conditions from those back home in Illinois. The V3 is very easy for me to run but I learn something new each time I take it out. Rob

rcasio44 said:
Yes it was worth it for me. I came from an MXT which was an excellent detector if you knew how to use it. The same goes for the V3, too many people want it to do everything without spending the time to do some learning on their own. I will really be giving it a workout this winter under different conditions from those back home in Illinois. The V3 is very easy for me to run but I learn something new each time I take it out. Rob

Thanks, Thats my detector now a mxt!

>>Thats some big bucks for that machine<<

As compared to WHAT detector???

Jerry

I love the machine. It is fun learning all the adjustments and possibilities it affords you. I pick up small pieces of foil and aluminum slaw that I would have missed with my old detector. Good or bad? If it means that I will eventually find some gold that I would not have found with my old machine, I don't know.

I can't honestly say that I have found anything that I would not have found before. But, I still enjoy hunting with it more......Coach C

Im a loyal Minelab user and now I split my loyalty to the Spectra. Yes, its worth it!

IMO, the V3 will do anything you want it to do. It is both a mulit freq detector and three single freq detectors. It is so multi deminsional that it will be a w-h-i-l-e before it's capabilities are understood. It is a real pleasure to use, the tones are sweet, the color display is easy on the eyes, and as i've said before... it is seductive.

It will not replace every other detector if you can have several machine but it probably comes closer than any other machine at being able to adapt to any situation. It can be a red hot maxed our hot-rod machine or it can be a mild mannered Clark Kent detector... but don't let it fool you, it still has those superpowers.

The key to the V3 will be learning, learning, learning and then knowing what to apply and where to apply it.

It isn't the easiest to use detector but I think it is easily the most advanced hobby detector and I think it will serve anyone for years. If you have a V3 and you get to wanting a new machine... well you can just change some settings and there you go.

Yes, it is well worth it!!!!!!

Julien

Very well stated Julien............:thumbup:

Maybe the name Cameleon would have been better than V3.......:rofl:

Have to say, mine has been worth every penny I spent on it...

A friend of mine said it best in another way on a post from this forum. "The V3 is one sexy detector". Auirum, Rcasio, LArry in ILL, AK1234, all provide a great wealth of ideas and problem solving HELP to those of us who did get one. They all share a passion to help others get the best out of their machines. Personally I am getting back heavily into the hobby I enjoyed 15 or more years ago, when I had a Garrett Ground Hog.

Aurium, above, makes a great point of the fact that White's has been making great detectors for years. It runs along side of the best high end machines around. Where you spend your money and what you spend it on, is a sole decision, that no one will delve into. But I didn't SELL nothing to get it, or my DFX, or my Minelab, or my LTD, or anything else... I really believe that if my V3 was waterproof to 200 feet it would be underwater with me tooo, along with the units I now have for water hunts.... LOL

There is a clue here that I know some others may catch... That V3 stays with-in my hands reach on every hunt I go on... Each detector I own, and the list is greater than the aforementioned, has a purpose and a "nitch" it fills for my style in any area of the country I hunt. The experiences we enjoy and the trials we go through seem to be worth it.. Was to me!!!!

Asanaman

Hi - Let me caveat by saying I'm new to detecting, having had an MXT for just a few months before getting a V3. In short, yes it has been worth it, even if I'm not sure that I have found things I wouldn't have found with the MXT...I think I may have dug less trash in getting to those finds! Not to mention every day is more enjoyable now when I hunt, here's why:

1) Wireless headphones - Unless you're a beyond-serious audiophile and are a brilliant detectorist with your grey ghosts or whatever, you will LOVE not being tangled in your cord. The few bugs early on were worked out and a minor mod helps if you have prominent ears.

2) Less noise: As a MXT hunter you are probably used to a lot of chatter. That's great and informative, but I listen to the birds above the threshold now and really relax between signals. The V3 can run as quiet or as chattery as you like. Another point on "less noise" is that you can hunt sans earphones with adjustable volume should you feel like it. Sometimes this is nice if its hot out and nobody is around. Not for the sound-brilliant hunter who needs to really really hear, but fine for me when I'm out looking for pulltabs or whatever.

3) Frequency analysis in pinpoint: Being able to see which frequency is strongest is super informative. I have eliminated many targets using this feature. Many many many. Maybe a few that I shouldn't have, but I'm all but done with big pulltabs and definitely don't dig anymore bottle caps.

4) Dealing with EMI: You can hunt anywhere with the V3, bring down sensitivity and/or switch to 22.5 only and you're good.

5) Dealing with salt: No more trainwreck on the beach with your MXT falsing like mad. Use "salt compensate" and move from wet to dry sand like nothing.

6) Backlit screen: Wow! Hunt at dusk or continue into the night without straining your eyes. So nice you wouldn't believe it. Also switching color scheme can help you deal with super-bright sunlight or any other viewing condition.

7) Maybe should have been listed as #1: Customer service - If you have a problem, these guys will take care of you in a week, less if need be. I've had a couple of replacements needed and a whole detector replaced thanks to these guys and hardly missed out on any hunting time. I probably won't buy another brand of machine.

:geek: Flexibility: Even better is that if you keep your MXT as a backup or unit for a friend all of your coils are interchangeable. Sure, perhaps you can't use TX boost on many of the coils you use on your MXT, but in some places, due to the ground, you won't be able to use Tx boost anyway so it may not matter.

If you have enjoyed learning the ins and outs of your MXT you will love the V3. On days when you can't hunt you can hunt in your mind by coming to this forum and others and learning and watching videos. If you have a solid V3 it is both a turn-on-and-go (almost) machine and also a tool with a very long and enjoyable learning curve.

For me its worth it.

The village idiot,

Taterhead

Man, I'm not sure! :lol: I havent had it long and I've only found around $60. in clad, 3 silver quarters, 2 silver rings, a 2 ounce silver bracelet and my first gold ring.. I'll let you know when I'm sure.:rofl:

*** [size=x-large]unless[/size] ***YOU put in the time and effort to learn it and master it.

There is no "magic wand" when it comes to metal detectors.

There is no "perfect" single detector on the market to handle everything.

Those who have used it a little and didn't find it to their liking will tell you it's not worth it, and they might be right ... for THEM.

There will be those who tell you it is the greatest detector ever made and that it helps them find more good stuff than any detector they have ever used, which is great, but doesn't necessarily mean that YOU will also like it of find stuff.

Regardless of the make or model detector you put in your hands, you need to do so OFTEN, and you need to LISTEN to everything you can capture from the audio response, and employ PATIENCE as you make your way through factory programs or factory preset-setting suggestions, figure out the goods and bads (no perfect detector) and know what some little 'quirks' might be so that YOU will be able to deal with them.

Certainly no single detector will do everything you want with the supplied search coil, so any investment in a detector also calls for an investment in time and learning, as well as an investment in a good accessory coil (smaller-than-stock).

Consider what you have used or are using. What does it NOT provide? What would you like to have in the way of features? What type(s) of detecting do you do and also think of the site conditions you plan to hunt?

I know a lot of people who start out with something in the upper-middle to top-of-the-line and they might go a few years without really "getting into" the hobby or learning their detector because it has more than they understand and it overwhelms them. The result is that they put off going out detecting or trying to learn it. Many of these people think all the marketing jazz is going to happen 100% perfectly 100% of the time .... NOT!!

So, the real determining factor about any detector's "worth" is really dependant upon what the consumer wants, what they expect or anticipate, the type of applications, and their devotion of time and effort to get to know the ins-and-outs of whatever they purchase. Others can't help much other than top say they do or don't like it, and then it's up to you.

The Spectra V3 is certainly a very good detector. It is a multi-purpose detector and can do quite well for a number of different applications. I've owned a couple and have another I get to use when I want. I do so from time-to-time, but for ME the XLT and MXT take care of all my hunting needs quite well. Buying the ones I had I don't consider a waste of money. It was simply an investment quite similar to all the others I have made for 4

That is a $1700.00 question for sure!!! It is all up to how far you take the hobby for yourself. Have I found much that wouldn't have been found with a slightly lesser machine? Very little! Would I have found it with the same ease? Not even close!

Once you get spoiled by the machine, it is real hard (for me at least) to use another box. You can go on and on with depth,adjustability,the interface etc... Like Monte said,it all is in what you tend to see as important to personally enjoy the hobby.

I couldn't regress to my past machines as a primary. I still appreciate them but this machine is so nice...once you have even just learned a little.

It could.........