Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Very disapointing Day!!! :rant:

101numlock

Today started out awesome as i had just gotten permission to hunt at a friend of mine fathers house. The home was a larger victorian home in a very old are of town. My friends father told me i would not find anything as he had detected it back in the early 80s and told me good luck. I had hunted for about 30 min when i found a very nice 1830 Large cent in the front yard about 9 inches deep. You could make out the word liberty on her headband still! I showed it to my friend who was with me and he congratulated me on a awesome coin. About 20 min later his father had returned home and by buddy rushed over to show him the coin. His father Told me he really wanted that coin as it was older than the house and has historical significance to the home, EXACT WORDS! i gritted my teeth and did the polite thing and told him that would be fine. HE then insisted that i come in and see all of his stuff he had found with his detector all the while i am doing my best not to show how pissed off i was. I told him that was only the second large cent i had found in the 10 years i had been detecting. I was told if i found anything else not to show it to him and i could keep it. I went back to it for about an hour and did not find anything noteworthy. I went back inside to take a pic of the coin so i could at least have proof that i found it, and That nit wit had scrubbed it with a scouring pad and had it soaking in some concoction of vinegar and and other cleaners! You could barely make out what kind of copper it was now, all the patina was gone the coin ruined! I have never been so upset and had to smile at the same time! Has anyone else had a story like this? I think i am going to just keep a pocket full of wheat pennies in one pocket from now on and hide anything i find in the other in case someone wants to see what i have found.

Sorry for your disappointing day.
He now has a coin that is ruined,maybe he will show that to some people.
I am sure you are not the first this has happened to.

Anyway,best of luck,there are lots of coins to be found.

LabradorBob

Yeah it would have been one thing if he just cleaned it with some water and and kept it in good shape to show to people but he destroyed it and now no one can enjoy it. I should have just left it in the ground where it was Safe LOL

Non detectorists do not understand. I had a guy with his kids come up to me once in a park and ask what I have been finding. I handed him a buffalo and an indian not expecting he would rub them furiously between his fingers in order for him to see a date. I really couldn't get too ticked because these people just haven't a clue. Never the less this guy having swung a detector before himself...... and should have respected the fact that you put in the work for this coin and its yours. Very sorry for what happened to you today. You will find more. Maybe this is the start of a slew of them. Good luck and HH Joe

Sorry to hear about your day. I'm glad you can come here and vent with "empithizers" and "sympathizer". I like your idea of the wheats though.

NebTrac

You had permission to hunt, that should have been enough. Don't show your finds to anyone involved if you want to keep them. Facts of life.

That's a horrible way to loose a great find !

An older man in our area use to eat, sleep and breathe metal detecting years ago. I've spoken with him several times and he's told me some amazing stories of his finds. Him and his buddy went out every time they could for nine years - his hunting buddy passed away and he has arthritus in both knees. He told me about the time he was invited to hunt an old farm house that a very good friend of his owned about 20 years ago. He found a few nice coins then he found something he never found before - a larger sized 1790's Spainish Silver Coin. As soon as it came out of the ground his "good friend" said that his wife would really like to keep the Spainish coin - but he could keep all the others.That's the only Spainish silver he ever found and he was forced to give it up - and they are far from common here in Ohio ! He still gets mad just telling the story !

HH --- Mark

101numlock said:
I think i am going to just keep a pocket full of wheat pennies in one pocket from now on and hide anything i find in the other in case someone wants to see what i have found.

Or pulltabs,when Im out in the field thats all I ever find.:biggrin:

Thanks for letting me rant a little. Heading out again tomorrow hopefully I'll find another large cent or something better LOL

I think many of us have been there with you, some with a homeowner hawking over our shoulder, or thinking that everything you find is theirs unless they don't want it.

I've hunted hundreds of private yards over the years knocking on the door cold turkey, and try to make sure that they are aware that I plan to keep everything I find, unless we make other arrangements, like returning family jewerly or the like.

It gets a little tricky when you hunt the yard of a friend or family member like you did. I found an alternative a number of years ago that worked. A close friend and the president of our detecting club lived in an old house in an old town. I had recently bought a new detector and while I was visiting, we excitedly got the detector out and went over the front yard to see what could be found. Bingo, up comes a VG Walking Liberty Half. :surprised: Who would have thought? He had hunted his yard a number of times with a Tesoro Inca and more recently his new (at the time) White's 5900 and had found plenty of good stuff. Somehow this big beautiful silver coin was missed.

What to do? Walkers don't come along every day and I felt plenty guilty of turning up one in his yard. So, I went to a good friend who happens to own a coin store and bought a duplicate, same year and mint mark. Same condition as best could be matched. One Walker for him, One for me.

I think I have the store bought one for my collection, but I'm not sure as I remember back on it. I could just a well have given him the store bought one to have.

Back in the early 90's, I was hunting an old ghost town with a friend on memorial weekend. One of the local clubs had a big outing there each year. We would typically hunt with detectors as well as do some sifting. The ghost town was known to have given up quite a few gold coins over the years lost during town fires and floods. As luck would have it, my friend and I were sifting around the base of a building and SHAZAM :surprised: , out comes a beautiful 1881-S $10 gold piece in XF cond. :crazy: We did the gold dance and everybody camping out came over and celebrated. It was great. What to do with the coin? Well, we had agreed to share what we found so I devised a resolution.

This time, I went to the coin store and had my friend appraise the coin and tell me what he would sell the coin for if it was in his shop. He gave me a price. My friend typically sells all of his valuable tokens and coins and keeps the interesting stuff for his kids in a coin collection for each. He was interested in the $$. So I gave him 1/2 the retail value of the coin and put the coin in my collection for a number of years. It was a little expensive, but hey, it was a gold coin. How many of those turn up on a regular basis? Too, he is a best friend and I did not want any feelings of resentment over how much I gave him for his half, so I gave him 1/2 of the retail price.

So there are alternatives from walking away from something you would really like to have in your collection. I'd say go find yourself a Large Cent of the same year and put it in your collection. Being that you knew him, you could have offered him a deal that you keep the original and buy him a stand in piece to look at, but it is a little late for that now.

As for what he did to the coin, I've never liked taking the toning off of copper coins or brass tokens by soaking them in an Apple Cider Vinegar / salt solution. (It forms a mild acid). You can fix it to some extent by placing the coin in a very small bottle that has a lid, lighting a match, placing the match in the bottle and covering with the lid. This contains the smoke inside the bottle. You will notice that doing this a few times while flipping the coin over between treatments will darken the coin or brass token giving it a 'false' toning that makes it much more appealing to the eye.

Back to the Large Cent trouble. Most of the time, private property owners are concerned about something valuable being found by us and they loose out completly. When I am arranging a hunt with a property owner, if who keeps what comes up and it is a sticking point and I still want to hunt the property, I typically offer them them half the value of anything worth over a certain value like $100 or if a cache is found or something along those line. l offer to have my friend that owns the coin store be the 'mediator' for it and divide up whatever needs to be divided.

Most of all, you want to be fair and honest and not have regrets that you had to sneak away with something tucked inside your shoe. If it is clear ahead of time then you can walk away not worrying about it.

I don't always show everything I find to a house owner. Before I leave, I do thank them for allowning me to hunt and may show some of the odds and ends that I've found and may leave a little momento like a wheat penny or something. I am genuinely grateful they let me have a look around, why not show it? There have been a number of occasions, while saying thank you, an opportunity has presented itself to hunt a neighbors or relatives yards. I've gained their trust by being fair and open and they feel good about passing me along.

Anyway, hope this helps. :thumbup:

Best of luck out there.

Rich (Utah)

That is a pretty good way to go about it. I will have to try the match trick on some coins I had to clean due to rust being stuck to them.

About 25 Years ago I had spent about a mounth in the hospital with colon cancer.Thankfully they got it early as it was malignant.But after about 4 months recovery I went out for a three day hunt around the state.Well about 75 miles from home I hunted a small town beach and found a girls 10k Class Ring with a couple diamonds and the name inside.Well when I was done at the beach I went into town and looked up the owner in the phone book and called to ask about the ring.Why yes I lost a class ring said the person on the phone.Come to this address.When I got there I knocked on the door the girl opened it and took the ring saying yes thats my ring and Shut the door in my face.No Thank You or nothing,Well to say that I was crushed is putting it mildly.We all have things happen but with most things time has a way of softening the blow's. Good Luck in the future.And Don't sweat the small things. Grumpy

I situations like that I resist the overwhelming urge to show off the find.If I have somebody is watching me I slip the find into my sock.I almost always have junk in my pouch to show if I "need" to show off what I've recovered.I lost a rare token the one and only time I showed it off.I'm not going to share my finds with anyone.