Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vista X Batteries

oldkoot

I have done a trade deal for a Vista X and have been doing some reading, LOL (Yes I Can Read)

I have a question on Batteries for the Vista X in the instructions it says to use Alkaline AAs, is there any reason a good Rechargeable AA cannot be used ???

Same here.

Same here.
Thanks for the Replies @JCR TX and @Detecta

I do have a supply of the Eneloop Pros, could not really see a reason you could not but never hurts to ask just to be sure, guess I should pick up a few more groups of 8, since I use them in my Garrett 24K, Axiom, and Xterra 705 also, and now will be using them in the Vista X also

I think this Vista X is going to be a fun learning experience for me, looking forward to it, first place I am going to hit is a park across the street from my house that was a gathering place in the 1800s and then in 1968 was established as a city park, and no one has detected it in this area, i have been over to it 2 times and only spent about an 30 minutes to an hour each time it is loaded with steel bottle caps and other garbage so it is going to be fun sifting through all the trash and good targets, I was able to pull a few things in the short time I detected it.

any suggestion as to which other coils I might want to consider for the Vista X, when I receive it, it will only have the standard stock coil, thinking about the 8 inch concentric and maybe one other coil

suggestions please

All the coils are excellent, it just depends on what footprint you want. Call @Richard@BackwoodsDetectors to see what he suggests & has in stock.

All the coils are excellent, it just depends on what footprint you want. Call @Richard@BackwoodsDetectors to see what he suggests & has in stock.
yes sir Richard is whom I did the trade deal with Great dealer by the way, I am just waiting until I receive the Vista X and play with it a bit before picking up a couple more coils, I do know one I will be picking up at least is the 8 inch concentric, and most likely the Super 6 Elliptical 8x5.4 coil and I think those would cover all my needs

That's what I'm thinking. The 8" Concentric, and definitely the Super Six Coil. The 5.7" would be good for very tight places, or a really bad complete bed of iron, trash, and nails. Picture of the Super Six.
From what I've heard of it's performance, you might not ever take it off.
20240210_193606.jpg

I know that a lot of you prefer the Enloop NiMH rechargeable batteries, but those only produce 1.2 VDC, at 2550 mAh.
Has anyone tried the Li-ion 1.5 VDC batteries, at 3000 mAh?
Seems that the higher voltage might produce a little better performance, same as using an alkaline 1.5 V battery. Just curious as I'm in the same boat of finding the best rechargeable battery that will maintenance performance. I know the Li-ion batteries are some of the latest technology, especially the Lithium Poly, if you could find those in AA?

20240210_200719.jpg20240210_201845.jpg

EBL is good stuff as far as I know.

I know that a lot of you prefer the Enloop NiMH rechargeable batteries, but those only produce 1.2 VDC, at 2550 mAh.
Seems that the higher voltage might produce a little better performance, same as using an alkaline 1.5 V battery. Just curious as I'm in the same boat of finding the best rechargeable battery that will maintenance performance. I know the Li-ion batteries are some of the latest technology, especially the Lithium Poly, if you could find those in AA?

View attachment 52844View attachment 52847
Have never tried the EBL but may be good ones to give a try

View attachment 52844View attachment 52847
These might be worth checking out also

not sure what the difference is in mWH and mAh, guess I need to ask my Daughter she is the director of operations for batteries plus and she learned the differences in all those different batteries

Actually, no. I've either had detectors that had internal rechargeable batteries, or like the Sovereign, I just bought Energizer Alkaline AA batteries, or used a new rechargeable battery pack on it.
Seems like 9.6V might not produce the same performance as if your batteries produced 12V.
I have noticed that some NiMH batteries seem to last a little longer than some Li-ion batteries, so not really sure. That's why I was asking is to see what everyone's experiences are.
I would think that 12V would be better though.

Richard@BackwoodsDetectors said:

I use good AA batteries.. The detector has a voltage regulator that drops the detector to a lower
voltage so that the 12vdc is a good surplus..
Let me contact the factory and see what they say about the lithium batteries... too much could damage the regulator.. just want to make sure it will work... Richard

So, I'll give everyone a heads up on what his finding are, seems the detector can function effectively without needing a full 12V power source.

There is a thread on FMD forum titled "1.5v Rechargeable AA Batteries" that has some information on the subject. It also shows the results of Monte Berry's battery test.
Also Miliwatt hours is milliamp hours times voltage. 1000mAh at 1.5 volts is 1500mWh. 1000mAh at 9V is 9000mWh.

Richard@BackwoodsDetectors said:

I use good AA batteries.. The detector has a voltage regulator that drops the detector to a lower
voltage so that the 12vdc is a good surplus..
Let me contact the factory and see what they say about the lithium batteries... too much could damage the regulator.. just want to make sure it will work... Richard

So, I'll give everyone a heads up on what his finding are, seems the detector can function effectively without needing a full 12V power source.
Well here is the thing all regular Alkaline batteries are 1.5 volt so I would think that a rechargeable Lithium battery that produces 1.5 volts would be the same the EBL's I linked are 1.6 volts so not sure what that would do but a Lithium battery that produces a constant 1.5 volts i would personally think would be OK

that when I read up on the Vista X it just says to use Alkaline Batteries or Rechargeable batteries with a minimum of 2000 mAH or higher, will wait and see what Richard finds out for clarification on this, i do know I can get good Alkaline AA's from my Daughter for pretty cheap but I prefer using a good rechargeable if they can be used

this is straight from the deep Tech site

Batteries Requirements – we strongly recommend to use 8 x 1,5 V AA Alkaline Batteries or rechargeable Batteries with more than 2000mA/h

Last edited:
There is a thread on FMD forum titled "1.5v Rechargeable AA Batteries" that has some information on the subject. It also shows the results of Monte Berry's battery test.
Also Miliwatt hours is milliamp hours times voltage. 1000mAh at 1.5 volts is 1500mWh. 1000mAh at 9V is 9000mWh.
tried to find Monte's thread on that and search results came up with nothing on FMD if its not to much trouble can you post a link to that thread
Thanks

I found the thread that Picketwire is referring to:

Been using AA Eneloops for various devices to include some detectors (F-75, Cortes, V3i AA pack & BT headphones).
I once bought some other rechargeables, the kind that the charging cable plugs into the battery eliminating a separate charger. For some reason the charge circuitry within the battery or something cause some kind of interference when using the batteries in some devices. First noticed trying in a radio, caused a whine noise when alkaline and NiMH rechargeables did not. I tossed the batteries so never had a chance to see if it would work without issue in a detector.
My Eneloops are LSD (low self discharging) and I also have some higher capacity which I believe are not LSD if I am correct which is fine if not storing for a year or so before use which all one has to do is charge them not long before use.
Add: Oh man I sure like to looks of the Vista - no display screen, reminds me of my Tesoro's and some old school detectors I had when I started early 70s.

For some reason the charge circuitry within the battery or something cause some kind of interference when using the batteries in some devices.
This is from the electronics used to change the voltage inside these batteries.

I use the white envelop batteries in my Vista X with good results.

So, Richard@BackwoodsDetectors said:

Jeff, the working voltage of the Vista X is 9.6 - 13 vdc.. Richard.

That means that the EBL's, or any NIMH battery at 9.6V ( 1.2V x 8 ) are good to go.
If that's the case you probably won't notice any advantage running a 1.5 V Li-ion higher capacity mA/hour battery, with the exception of a maybe a longer duration. I'll probably try both the Li-ion, and the Eneloop Pro NIMH since they have such great reviews by everyone, and see if I notice a difference.
Good to know, thanks Richard. 👍