Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

VX3 questions for the newbies.......

Initially, I thought an upgrade would be a great idea. Then after some thought I really don't see the factory offering an upgrade from the VX3 to a V3i - We talked about this a few days ago and figured they won't do an upgrade because that would just undermine V3i sales, especially if it were only $125. Our reasoning - if there was an upgrade at that price, you'd be saving around $175, so why even buy a V3i when you can get the VX3 cheaper and just upgrade....Or it'd have to be high enough to make up the price difference - and without the 10" DD and rechargeable system. Even if it were the same circuit board, they probably removed components, such as memory capacity or they went with a more cost effective circuit board to be able to keep the price down. Anyhoo, I just don't see how an upgrade would benefit the company.

Rob (IL) said:
Look a the charts Carl and I have posted on this page. Download the VX3 manual from the Whites site. It is the best written manual and will explain the detector functions. The final choice will be yours.

Rob, will the V3X manual (since it's written better) help me understand basic V3i functions too? I still have some grey areas and may need to find some factory defaults even after use of the (save as default) action :(

Yep it will. Carl did a great job. Gain, SAT, modulation etc. all are the same for both units. After reading it you will be able ask about what you still need to know.

Wow, I just finished the VX3 manual....very informative. It even explains wrap a bit....lol. If Carl ever gets on this site I would like to send out a big Thank You to him for a nice job of explaining not only the VX3, but the technology in general. Very impressive! I was planning on picking up a water machine for the summer and getting one of these units for the fall hunts, but man, I'm getting geeked about the V machines. Maybe I should skip the beach this year....

You will find good information under the sticky I have posted on the top of this page.

So many manuals have a tendency to just illustrate a separation between the educated and well informed.....and the person who buys the product. This little manual kicks tail!

triplehooked said:
Wow, I just finished the VX3 manual....very informative. It even explains wrap a bit....lol

Hmmm? Why explain wrap on a detector that can't deal with it? :clapping:

I think the VX can deal with it, the wrap limit is preset is all.

Preset at -91.

Rob (IL) said:
Preset at -91.

Great Information Rob! Thank You. I must have missed this info somewhere. Combined with the preset Span, this means the VX3 will work in my environment and get just as deep as the V3I. I have two individuals that will be happy to know they can save some money on there purchase. :)

Yes with a span of 30 it's not bad. It's actually the same default as the V3i.

Yes, the coils from the DFX will work. As long as the wrap preset is where it is at, the correlate mode mode will handle the non V rated coils. Best Data has trouble with higher conductive targets sometimes with older coils. You will of course need to use lower RX and DS settings. Single frequency 75. and 2.5 will work great as well. The more I learn about the VX3 default settings, the more I understand why Whites chose this mode. Unlike the DFX, there is no real depth advantage using Best Data over Correlate. In really good soil you may see a little improvement. Correlate runs quieter, deals with Wrap, and really does a better job at isolating uniform targets based on it's comparison logic. Look at it this way, it is using Best Data for 2 frequencies instead of one. I know I will get differing opinions on this, but I think Whites was looking at things this way as well in the design of the VX3 firmware. I should have my hands on one next week. I don't expect to see any depth difference in the coin garden. I will let you know.

Jack

Personally I doubt there is an unlock code for the VX3. I've worked with electronics for quite a while now and when buying different models of something a lot of times the chassis itself is identical but there will be components missing or values changed on components for the difference as well. I know when Whites made changes on the board for the MXTPro they made changes to the board and now use the same board on both MXT & MXTPro however there are hardware differences between the two from what I've heard in the Whites chatroom. I wouldn't chance buying a VX3 thinking that I'd be able to unlock it to make it a V3i and that's besides the fact that with the V3i you get the D2 coil along with the battery system. I'm glad I got the V3i myself cause it's an awesome detector.

I agree that the DFX coils will work with the VX3, but if the coils are V rated, they will work better with the 22.5 kHz frequency than the non rated V coils, they are nulled for better operation in that frequency.

I have to disagree with you on the differences between Correlate and Best Data though. There should be a loss of depth with correlate because both frequencies used in correlate, 2.5 and 7.5 or 7.5 and 22.5 MUST agree on a target before alerting you of a target under the coil. Correlate is NOT two frequency Best Data. Best Data is single frequency function and that is why you should get more depth with Best Data. An example is small gold will hit hard on 22.5 but might not be seen by 7.5. In correlate you will not get a hit because both frequencies must see the target and agree. On Best Data only the 22.5 needs to see the target.

I have never heard of Best Data having trouble with high conductive targets before, I always thought and heard that Best Data was exceptional in the higher conductor targets...... deep silver and copper especially, rivaling the Minelabs......... at least mine does in my ground.

One the deepest targets best data will have the edge. In correlate as the target is deeper it is easy for one of the 2 frequencies to fall outside the span limit. As I remember, that is why Jack opened up his span in his program to compensate for this. The Vx3 can't change it's span setting.

But if you were truly out to focus on the super deep stuff, wouldn't it be better run in single freq. on the VX3 and to utilize the gain in power output?

In single-frequency operation on the V3, the coil is driven by only a single frequency at a higher voltage than in multi-frequency operation. (The DFX always drove the coil at two frequencies in the same fashion for each mode.) This allows the V3, in low mineralization environments, to get, a small Transmit boost in single frequency mode. (This boost still occurs in stronger mineralization ground, but it doesn't translate to more depth there.)

So the answer is maybe, but not always.

If I was using the VX3, that is what I would do if I was looking for maximum depth for deep silver and I was in fairly clean ground. If the ground was trashy, I would sacrifice a little depth and save my sanity. :rolleyes: What is left of it anyway.

Rob (IL) said:
So the answer is maybe, but not always.

Lol....good answer. Sanity is overrated anyways, Larry. As always, thanks for the input.

Man, I cannot wait to get into one of these machines. Does anyone want to loan me one for say a month or two? I'd happily throw in one of my triplets for some summertime child labor. Mowing lawns, trimming trees, taking out the trash. You know, all the stuff I can't get them to do....