Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wahoo! I found THE BIG ONE!

Howdy all. My name is Jason and I'm fairly new to this forum. I started detecting two years ago and I bought my e-trac back in May. I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. This is my first post because other than a few dimes and some wheats, I haven't found much worth posting. That is until yesterday.

My wife had an art class yesterday and I had to give her a ride. Instead of coming home I went detecting. There was an old church in a nearby town that I've gone to a few times and found some wheats so I thought I'd hit it again. This is one of the few places I dare go this time of year because the ground is so dry. They have a large dirt parking lot that is loaded with trash. For a new guy, it's a little frustrating at times but it's also a great place to learn because I don't have to worry about digging lousy holes. As I parked my truck, the thought crossed my mind, "How nice would it be to find a silver dollar today? Yeah right, like that's ever going to happen." I only had an hour and a half to hunt so I just wandered around in no particular pattern, just enjoying the time away from work. I found the two wheats right off and then about half an hour later I got a signal that kept going back to 1-41 or 1-42 every couple of swings (the rest of the time it hit on some nearby junk and gave lots of random numbers). I figured it was probably a can or something but thought I'd dig anyway with the hope that maybe I'd get lucky. I dug down about 6" until my propointer gave a solid tone. I could tell that it was a big target because the probe sounded off in most of the bottom of the hole. I found the edge and stuck my screwdriver a couple of inches in the ground about an inch away from the target and popped the ground up. The object popped up and stood on edge. The large silver reeded edge stared back at me from the bottom of the hole. I sat there for awhile just staring at it in unbelief. Could it really be a dollar? With trembling hands, I scooped it up and sure enough, it was a 1900-O Morgan! I sure did the happy dance. It took awhile before I could quit smiling enough to detect again. I found a 1943-D merc on the next target I dug. That was a nice surprise too. That was the most exciting moment that I've had metal detecting.

The second most exciting moment was when I found the token for Cactus Pete's the last time I went to that old church. It says Ten Dollar Redeemable Cash Value Celebrating 40 Years of Fun .999 Fine Silver. It's larger than my dollar and the silver part in the middle is about the size of a half. It was right under the surface and rang in at 3-36 or so. I dug it out of pure curiosity. Needless to say, I love my e-trac now that I'm getting the hang of it. I just rinsed all of the coins off with water.

Those are some great finds. I think I'd keep hitting that spot.

Thanks for the pics!
HH, Crispy

Awesome story and GREAT finds!!! Congratulations man!! Appreciate the pictures too! Keep'm'comin'!!

NebTrac

Awesome finds,Congrats.

LabradorBob

W-O-W!!! where did you say that place was at again??:bouncy: just kiddin:please:

Weston

real nice Keep it up

Outstanding Jason !

Congrats on the big silver. That first one is the toughest! HH Randy

Wow, nice find! I haven't found a silver dollar yet. It is still on my want list. I have dug just about all of them from the busts coins on up but the dollar is still eluding me.
Congrats on the BIG ONE!

Cool Big Silver! Lots of fun diggin up them Dollars. Did you check to see what was making the iron target sound next to it? If your in a spot they dont mind you diging then you may want to widen the hole out and see what the iron sound is. Just a suggestion. Great day for you bud.

good luck
utahshovelhead

Jason, What a great find. Not many people ever find a silver dollar. Usually when someone drops one of them on the ground someone will find it as big as they are. I detected about thirty years before I found one. It was an 1885 in BU condition. I about had a heart attack when I popped it out of the ground. That was the biggest thrill I've had in 40 years of detecting.

Keep up the good work and i'd check that area somemore!

Ken

AWESOME!