Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

waterproof sovereign vs excal..

snaps

Hello,

Im sure this has been gone over, but would a wat

erproof sovereign have any advantage at all over an excall in the wet surf?

Thanks, Snaps

I wouldn't say it would have more advantage than an Excal but a Sovereign would give you more control over various things like iron mask being on or off if you want. Silent Search on the GT is made to do that without loss of depth or performance if you like not hearing a threshold. Notch would be useful only if the site was loaded with a specific trash target like 22 casings or a specific pull tab. Being able to put a meter on the GT would make it's transition from beach to land. More than anything I think the main advantages of the Sovereign being waterproofed would be much cheaper than an Excalibur and also much less weight. Beyond that there isn't really any difference between them. The Sovereign can land hunt easier by being lighter and quickly being able to throw on a meter.

You can change the Coil ...now that's a excal lover's dream.......

For me it would be the choice of headphones. There are some other quality waterproof headphones if have the price of admission. I never liked the 'dead' sound of the Excal headphones, even the newer yellow ones. Just sounds muted and flat to me compared to quality headphones for the Sov.

Yes I agree about the headphones, I went through 3 different sets before settling on the Sunray Pro Golds. The sound is everything, I couldn't hang with a flat pair of phones. That's a deal breaker for me as far as the Ex Cal goes if that's the case.

Good point about being able to change coils or headphones more easily on a Sovereign. You also don't need to waterproof the Sovereign so long as you mount the box high on your chest. That way you can hunt down to about your belly button and still be safe provided there isn't a lot of waves. I put mine in a plastic bag and tie it closed with a rubber band, then stick that in my Minelab hip/chest bag. That will at least save it from the random wave or splash, but I'm hunting the great lakes were we have less waves than the ocean.

The choice comes down to what you plan to hunt more. If you can see yourself hunting as much dry sand and parks as you do the water then the Sovereign would be the pick. If you plan to hunt more water versus dry sand or parks and such then the Excaliber would be the right choice. Then again, if you can afford an Excalibur then for another $300 or so you can buy an older Sovereign model and use that for the dry sand or land hunts.

Since I mostly land hunt the Sovereign allows me to do the occasional water hunt. I've got a homemade shaft for my land rig that is very light and uses the 15x12 coil and meter, so I set up the stock shaft for water hunts with the 10" coil always on that. That way I just unclip my control box from my land unit and throw it on the water setup or vise versa. It kind'a gives you the feeling of owning two machines with two setups sitting around to use.

Sooner or later I may buy an older Sovereign control box to stick in a waterproof box, or I could use one for my GT control box when I water hunt. Haven't decided on that yet and don't know if I'll need to go that route since I'm told most rings are found in waist deep water or less where my chest mount is fine. I'm no water expert so maybe my friend keeps telling me that so I don't want to hunt deeper, though. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that with a water proof box there would be two methods to try. One would be to mount the box high on the back of the shaft via an extension so it clears the water and creates less drag. The other would be to mount it on my shoulder via some kind of harness. I'm mainly looking at wanting to do two things- keep it out of the water for less drag and also for added insurance that it won't leak. Just because it'll be in a water proof box is no reason to tempt fate. I guess high on the chest or slung around high on my back shoulders would also be an option. Mainly I want a waterproof box that is just big enough to hold the control box so it's less bulky.

Hello.
Excuse me but if someone can help me I want a sealed box for my Sovereign GT :surrender:
Used or new if possible and if you buy a box of reference that I could find in France too.
Thank you if you have a few of you give me an answer or just help me to find.
And I can pay a good price via PAYPAL.:thumbup:
Thank you everybody:beers:

Rajae, Bordeaux - France.

Please NOBODY Can help me and say who I can buy it.
Box for plexiglas (hard plastic clear) waterproof box maybe minimum 10x6x4 inch
Thank you.
Rajae, France.

Tank you Matthias but I search something with only full Plexiglas box and pelican too heavy for my Sov-GT:beers:

You might try an electronics supply company for a plastic or plexiglass chassis box.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=plastic+chassis+box&aq=0&aqi=g3&aql=&oq=plastic+chassis&gs_rfai=CvvvovhdfTMy9IIfAzQTfk9GqCgAAAKoEBU_QpTHR&fp=f9519659d5d079d0

http://www.hammondmfg.com/1554FCLP.htm

http://uk.digikey.com/1/3/plastic-chassis-box

http://www.mouser.com/Enclosures/Enclosures-Boxes-Cases/_/N-5g3p/ ...look for what you want.

Julien

You may still want to chestmount or hipmount the box even if it is waterproofed. That should solve the weight problem. You'll probably want an open 8" coil too to decrease the drag in water with a current, like the Atlantic or and saltwater or river... I would. I find that my 10" Tornado really works me out quickly in the surf.

J

I have read of people using a GSI Brand Camping storage box, the box is made of Lexan a very strong plastic, they are advertised to be water proof.

Go here to see the boxes.

Water Proof GSI

I must be missing something. Help me out here ( errick, OBN, Steve from Ohio or Dig) buy an Excalibur and you can find enough to pay for it and a new Soveriegn. Then you have the best of both worlds. JMHO HH :minelab:

Merci pour votre jbow Aide : Minelab :
Rajae2006r, FRANCE.

I put my older XS sovereign in a Pelican 29 size waterproof box. But, I took it out of the original Sov. box first. I took the panel and board and just laid them in the Pelican as they fit nicely and just put plastic between them as to not short out anything. The rechargeable battery pack also fits in the case near the end where the coil and headphone plugs are, it can also hold a spare battery pack. I put waterproof connectors on the coil and headphones and I use Grey ghost underwater phones. I bought a waist tool belt for $15.95 from Lowes store and the Pelican box fits right into the larger right side pouch, and on the left side pouch is where I put my finds. I use a 12" Sunray coil most the time in salt water. I only have little 3"-12" surf to contend with in Long Island Sound where I hunt. Advantage? Cheaper than Excaliber, changable coils, and just moving the shaft and coil thru the water has less resistance, plus better earphones also. Also I can build Sovereign packs cheaper than I can buy them made, and cheaper than I could get Excal battery packs. You do know how to solder and correctly rewire the connectors for this setup. It works fine for me.