Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weekend of weekends- the war nickel story

Bob38

I just want to say that I was an Equinox skeptic. Anyway, I just received my Equinox or "Nox" 800 this week and could not wait to get out there and put it to the test. So Saturday I took it to a trusty site I knew would produce shallow new coins. So this Saturday I got up early and went to this site just to get acquainted with this new detector. My best detector is my trusty Etrac and I took it along just in case I found the Nox would not work out and I would probably send it back. Long story short I was pleasantly surprised and at the end of the day, I netted several crusty zinc and copper pennies, 13 nickles, 15 dimes, 12 quarters, 1 1971 Denver mint Kennedy half-dollar, two crappy rings, one silver pendant, a small gold plated angel neckless, three pull tabs and NO RUSTY NAILS! I ran it in Park One and had the best time of my life. Yes I know it was all clad but just getting out there and digging these targets that varied from 1 to 7 inches was a blast. I have been to this site with other detectors and hunted the same area and didn't even get close to this kind of coin count. Not just that I spent little time digging trash which was phenomenal due to the number of pull tabs, square tabs, and nails that exists there. The target separation was more than I expected and the target ID was really stable at these depths. By my estimation, I covered a little under a half acre in one search direction. Like most locations in the U.S., I too have to deal with high mineralized soils.

Today I went to the local park which had been in existence since the town was founded in the 1830's and was waiting for my hunting buddy to show up. Meanwhile, I started to swing my Nox in an area I call "screw cap city" due to the number of screw caps that are discarded by our local wine connoisseurs. after a small period of time, I got that 12, 13 signal at 6 inches so I planted my trusty hand digger into the rocky soil and pinpointed a 1943 war nickel. I was elated with the find and couldn't wait to show it off to my hunting Buddy who was running late. I kept swinging and approximately 15 feet from the first war nickel. I received that 12, 13 signal again at 6 inches. Again I plunged my digging tool into the soil and rock to the hilt and a minute later I saw to my surprise another 1943 war nickel. "This could not be happening!" I thought to myself. Two 1943 war nickels in one small trash-laden area. by the time my hunting Buddy arrived, I had gathered my tools, covered my hole and went over to set on a large rock. When he drove up I had the biggest Sh!+ eating grin on my face. He couldn't believe it either so we continued to hunt Screw Cap City for a while longer before we decided to head to our originally planned site. when we got to the other site we dug a few crusties before he dug a 1940 nickel. Now, this is where this story gets a little more bizarre. About 20 minutes after he dug the 1940 nickel. I heard him say "you are not going to believe this" he walked over with his own Sh!+ eating grin on his face and produced a 1943 war nickel. Now before you call BS, I'm with you it is a little hard to believe and I have been a little quiet on this forum until I have had something to share. See the attached Photo

Proof is in the pudding Bob, I was hoping to see the pic of your sh** eating grin :clapping:
Laplander

Very cool :thumbup: Its great when you know a new detector is a keeper the first time out.
Good story!

Nice finds!

I found 2 in the same hole in a small park I have almost hunted out on my first outing with my 600. I swear mine had higher ID's though. More like 21-22. On the second trip there with the 600, I found another one!

I rarely dig anything in the actual nickel range in that particular park because it is so full of aluminum, so I would have NEVER found them if they rang up in the actual nickel range. In that park, I have always hunted in Park 1.

CS

I agree its a keeper. I did modify the Nox audio to make nickles to sound like higher conductors. This probably helped since the ground was the trashiest part of the park.