Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Welcome to the new Minelab CTX 3030 Detector Forum...

Digger

Constitutional Patriot
Staff member
First off, welcome to the new Minelab CTX 3030 Detector forum. My username is Digger and I live in the Midwestern USA. I got the nickname "Digger" from my brother, who introduced me to metal detecting over 40 years ago. With the nickname Digger, who do you suppose ran the detector and which one of us did the digging? Anyway, some of you may be familiar with me from the X-TERRA forum, where I've served as Moderator since.... well, since the X-TERRA forum was started. Others may be familiar with me from my field tests for various manufacturers or from my participation in Minelab's TreasureTalk blogs. Regardless, if you know me, you know that I'm just a guy who has enjoyed this hobby for a long time and makes an effort to give something back to the hobby that has provided me so much enjoyment. As Moderator of the CTX 3030 forum, my goal is to help everyone learn as much as we can about this new detector and to apply what we learn to our trips in the field. I understand other makes and models might be brought up, for the sake of comparison. But with your help, this forum will become known as THE learning tool for the CTX 3030.

With that said, let me set three simple ground rules that will be implemented on this forum. 1. No cursing. If you want to talk trash, take it to another forum. 2. Show respect to other members and forum sponsors. Again, if you want to talk trash, take it to a different forum. 3. Participate in the forum with good intentions. If your purpose is to do a drive-by, go back to the forum you came from and show them how smart you are. Its likely you've already shown us! And remember, as part of my duties as Moderator, I am the one who takes out the trash.

Now, on to the CTX 3030.....As a Minelab TreasureTalk blogger, I can now admit that I have been involved in testing the CTX 3030. As per our agreement, I must abide by the restrictions placed upon me by Minelab as to when I can release specific information about the new detector. So before you start asking a bunch of questions I am not at liberty to discuss, lets take a closer look at some of the things we should have learned by the introductory ad.......

Waterproof (10ft /3m)?
Having been involved in an in-depth analysis of the X-TERRA coils over on the X-TERRA forum, I know that Minelab classifies equipment as either waterproof or water-resistant. From what I understand, the differentiation is based on water pressure at given depths. At the 14 second mark of the video ad, the guy pulls his CTX 3030 from under the water. That would suggest to me that this detector is more than just "splash-proof" as some have speculated. It appears to me that it is likely fully submersible, to the depth stated.

Wireless Audio?
No, they don't say wireless detector. And they didn't say wireless coil. They said wireless audio. And in the pictures, the wireless module appears to offer a speaker AND the option to connect your favorite headphones. Great! No more "cord stuck under the detector" when I get up from digging.

FeCo Discrimination?
Ya know, my E-TRAC has Fe/Co Discrimination. So you may be wondering, what is the big deal? My thoughts are, if Minelab has included mentioning this in their "top six" features, I would expect it to be more than we've seen before. When you look at the display in the video ad, about the 17 second mark, you can see a trace of colored dots running diagonally up and across the screen. Did you ever see those colored dots track up across the screen of your E-TRAC or Explorer?

GPS Locating?
I know many of us use a GPS unit when we are in the field. Some of you may not. Regardless, I don't believe I've seen GPS on a detector before. If you look at the 18 - 19 second mark of the short video, it appears that there are red dots, blue lines and even a little green flag on the map screen? Are those longitude and latitude readings in the lower right corner of the screen? And aren't those compass points in the background? Suppose there is more to this than simply a GPS system built into a detector? I guess before we decide whether we might use it or not, we should at least wait to see what all it does.

PC Mapping?
I know I haven

Randy,
Thank you for the post :) My only question, your intro is kinda vague. Or maybe I am just tired.....
Did you actually get the chance to use the detector in the field?

Thanks Digger for the great intro !

I just wanted clarification on the depth rating.
I think international "ingress protection" standards or integrity are based on a certain depth for a certain amount of time, such as IP67, IP68

I don't mean to go on too much about this subject but it might offer peace of mind for those who plan to take this detector into the water......

Maybe Minelab will be able to offer specifics at some stage.

Thanks again,
Tony.

Minelab are just starting to catch up to the Golden Gate Plus 3D. Check out the features of this detector, quite impressive.

Fishers Ghost said:
Minelab are just starting to catch up to the Golden Gate Plus 3D. Check out the features of this detector, quite impressive.

Not trying to cause a problem but why post details on a completely different detector here on this forum specific to the CTX3030?

Maybe re-read Digger's third point in the second paragraph in his intro....:goodnight:

Tony.

Digger, Thanks for the nice and well thought out info introduction. I wanted to touch on something you mentioned that I noticed as well, that others I don't think have said much about in your quote here:

FeCo Discrimination?
Ya know, my E-TRAC has Fe/Co Discrimination. So you may be wondering, what is the big deal? My thoughts are, if Minelab has included mentioning this in their "top six" features, I would expect it to be more than we've seen before. When you look at the display in the video ad, about the 17 second mark, you can see a trace of colored dots running diagonally up and across the screen. Did you ever see those colored dots track up across the screen of your E-TRAC or Explorer?

This is perhaps what I am most excited about. It looks like there is more color coded target information. Also, it looks like we get to see those "bounces" with actual lines as compared to making mental notes of it. Even though the audio we get from any detector has the most information in it relative to the VID, Minelab takes the cake when it comes to giving information visually - via the 2D screen and bounces, etc. I am really looking forward to what this all might entail on this new machine.

For a strongly visual learner like myself, the E-Trac gave me a tool in the 2D screen that I IMMEDIATELY was able to get something from. It was like second nature to me. So, this new machine really has my interest in this one area specifically.

Thanks again and CONGRATS on your new role here,
Albert

Yes.
I'm sorry I can't elaborate on that. And I apologize for being so vague. But as mentioned, there are certain restrictions I must abide by at this time. HH Randy

You are correct. And I fully expect Minelab to offer further details as the "roll out" process continues. HH Randy

No apology necessary digger and I wasn't even implying anything bad. You stayed within your 'non disclosure agreement' and only pointed out what anyone could see in the video - you gave us food for thought. I'm glad you mentioned it. I think it's one of the big things we can ponder till May 11th. :twodetecting:

Thx,
Albert

Perceptive you are, yes. (Yoda speak) Maintain the interest. HH Randy

Thanks Digger I know we will be well served with you as Moderator. We are all like kids at Christmas wanting to know what is in that big package under the tree that has our name on it! :bouncy: But I guess we can be patient and wait and see what is in it. I won't bug you wanting to know more until you are free to disclose more.....now I may wan't to but I won't! :unsure: I am confident that there are some real positives in this new machine and I am looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks Digger! You will do a great job here!

We all should know more about it the 11th! I can't wait myself! I have reserved a few "hunted out" spots to try in on. Should be interesting!

Sounds like you will be the moderator this forum needs digger! We are all excited about this new detector......well atleast I am and I see alot of negativity on this machine. Im not totally sure why either. It sounds by the way you made your opening statement that those so called uneccesary features sounds like they may help out even the seasoned detectorist. I guess we will all see soon enough! Good luck as moderator of this forum. HH Joe

Hi Randy;

Would you be able to speak on the weight of the unit?? Inline with the e-trac, se-pro.. lighter, heavyer, about the same??

Thanks Mark ( ohio )

can you comment on coil interchangeability with this machine, and the etracs? If your lips must remain sealed, I completely understand.

This looks like a informitive forum:thumbup: and a lot to learn time will tell i just hope this machine is not another e-trac in a tux .Jim

Nice post Digger, and thank you.

I think you were refering to one of my posts when you mentioned the waterproof / splash resistant section. The reason I made the earlier post is because 10 feet of depth is hardly anything to be considered "waterproof". 10 feet of depth is 4.4 psi. At normal wading depth, a fast movement such a from a fall, a hard swing, or a big wave can result in much more than 4.4 psi on the seals. Maybe they have over-engineered it (like Minelab often does) so that it's not a concern, but just from looking at the 10ft depth limit it still has to be considered suspect.

Here's the real question for you.... If, IF, the rumors of $2500-$3000 price tag are true, would you shell out the money for it? You have been using one after all.

It looks like the GPS feature is activated or adjusted with 2 buttons right on the panel. It's not hidden in the menu. This tells me that it's a feature that can be used all the time. It's possible that the GPS feature is way more accurate than what we know? Here's what I saw the other day. There is a giant row crop field with corn up about 8 inches. There cultivating the corn was a giant 4 wheel drive tractor with a pull behind cultivator. This cultavator had to of been working 25 rows. There is no way that could be done by eye. The farmer was looking strait ahead and never cut out any rows. I have personally ran 2 and 4 row mid mount cultivators and you must be on point all the time or you'll rip all your rows out in just seconds. This farmer had to of been using GPS. If the GPS was only accurate to say 10 ft or really 1 ft he would have destroyed his crop. So his GPS had to be accurate within inches. So it's possible the new GPS feature on the 3030 is as accurate? Right now I'm trying to cover 4 ball fields that are getting torn out. If I can't see my foot tracks in the grass I just guess where I've been. I know I'm either missing targets or re-covering ground and loosing time. This GPS can put more good targets in our pouch. Let's hope.

Maybe I'm wrong but as far as what I've read consumer GPS can only be accurate down to like 10 to 50 feet, while military weapon systems are much more accurate but it's illegal to have in the consumer market? If that's true then the GPS would only be useful to find your way to a site, not to make sure you don't miss anything while gridding an area. Anybody? If that's true then the GPS feature is little more than a gimmick IMHO.

I for one like the ability for land and water hunting. Also being waterproof means it's dust/sand proof as well. Washing your machine will mean a light hosing off. I fresh water hunt quite a bit during the summer and every few years take a vacation to Florida. Having just one machine that can handle every location would be great. I have tried and tried to use the amphibious machine offered by the Texas company. I will say that when they are working they work very nice. I went through 4 of them. 1st one went dead. They sent me a new one. That one couldn't be adjusted and just went crazy. They rebuilt that one. This 3 time around it worked perfect until I took it water hunting. That one leaked in the 1st minute and was dead. They sent me a brand new machine (4th machine) and I sold it. I wanted it to work but for me it didn't. I will be awaiting all the reviews on the 3030.