Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Which GPS unit do you use and why?

JohnTN

I have to say that this forum has been very helpful to me in understanding map overlays on Google earth. Now I am at a point to where I am trying to decide on a handheld GPS unit to record the coordinates of the POI's I derive from Google earth. Which units do you recommend and what if any tips can you offer. I have looked and read about a number of GPS units and for some reason I can't find anything on manually entering coordinates. I'm confused on paperless units -vs- and what comes with preloaded maps and purchasing expensive maps.
I guess it's obvious I'm a rank amateur on this subject. any help would be appreciated.

John

Check out Delorme's products. Has the ability to track and store as well as map and images on the the handheld GPS.

A great unit and very well made.

EJ

There are a vast assortment of GPS's out there.
They should all be capable of being able to enter co ordinates manually.
I have a magellan,nothing special,does not have maps on it.
but i can hit mark,to save a spot,then push the down arrow to change the co ordinates to what i want,
I use utm so its easting,and northing.

Harold

Magellen Triton 1500.....because that is the one my wife bought me................:cheekkiss:

I have a Garmin Legend C. It's an older unit that I bought for geocaching, hunting and navigating public hunting lands. It's not necessarily the unit I would buy considering my current interests, but it is an effective tool even if it doesn't have some of the more modern bells/whistles. Even the most basic GPS units will be tremendous aids in navigation and marking waypoints on your map. I have learned though, that the GPS is only PART of the equation when navigating and interpreting where you think you are vs. where you are on the MAP. There are a TON of orienteering and map navigation books and videos available, and a lot is free on youtube. I only mention all that because if you wander further than your normal comfort zone because you have a GPS unit, you sure wouldn't want something silly like bad batteries, no signal, etc. to put you in a Bear Grylls situation!

If you're out hunting the boonies, you'll probably find that google earth images aren't as helpful as you thought they would be! Get the USGS topo maps for the quad you're interested in, any aerial maps you can dig up (you'd be surprised what's available on ebay), and even old historic maps can be a handy tool. You may already know all this! I just wanted to pass on what little I have learned in the last few years!

Just for reference, I HAVE had my GPS 'fail' me before when it was the only navigation tool I had (always use FRESH batteries and not a mix of old and new). Luckily it wasn't dark quite yet, I wasn't extremely far from the truck (turned out to be about 1/2mi), and I stayed calm long enough to let logic dictate my next move. It's very humbling to suddenly realize that you've become disoriented! Downright scary to be honest.

Anyway, back to nuts/bolts. You can manually enter coords into all the GPS units that are meant for hiking, etc. and even some units that are designed for automobiles (don't recommend those for hiking naturally). I know the Garmin units are super easy, and I'm guessing all the other manufacturer's will be as well since they all compare very closely in many ways. Along with the ability to mark and store waypoints, you'll be able to enter names for your points of interest into the GPS unit. Most current units have an interface cable and software that will let you download from the GPS to PC, or vice versa. You can load topo maps onto most units now, and many come with expansion slots for more memory. Most will come loaded with base maps of the US which will have city data, but not anything real helpful in the boonies. All the manufacturers sell maps to accompany their units though, and some like DeLorme (mentioned above) can be used with many different units.

I personally like the Garmin units and am very familiar with the etrex series, having owned several, but they have new units, and there are a few other manufacturers out there that are just as good. Again, I'd look at youtube to see what type of instructional videos you could find. Not much info but I hope that helps!

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX. Made it all the way through Afghanistan and Iraq, and still ticking. You can load street and Topo maps into it and view them both simultaniously.

I now have a Garmin, Nuvi and love it.
I enter co ordinates directly from google earth, in degrees,min,sec.
and set google earth to the same under tool,options.
save it as a name in favorites.
then go to favorites,find it touch it and touch go to.
it even talks to you to tell you where to turn on your route in a Womans voice!

Lol,My girlfriend called me once on my way to go detecting,and the Nuvi was telling me where to turn.
She asked if i had a woman in the truck with me,i said yeah her name is Nuvi.
For about five seconds i was in real trouble,till it hit her that it was the gps!
Then she died laughing!

LabradorBob

How important is being able to talk to help anywhere's you may be?

Here's a GPS solution that might interest you but it comes with a price, the hardware and the comms subscription. But it just might be something you may want to have on you when your really out there.... http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10820&promotion=9869

Enjoy..

Delorme Units are rated to IPX7 waterproof standard .

Most handheld GPS units are rated to the IPX7 waterproofing standard; a pretty good standard that keeps the unit sound in the face of whatever a typical hike bike, run or other outing can throw at it. Some handhelds are rated to the IPX6 standard; which is a lower standard that doesn't offer the immersion capability that the IPX7 does...... Immersion capability? Yes, see below:

IPX6 Waterproof Standard

Heavy splashing and rain - This test sends water at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters. Must not fail or show water seepage.

IPX-7 Waterproof Standard

Puddle, stream, beer cooler and splash rated - Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

That is they can be used in the rain/wet with no harm. This means momentary immersion. GPS Signals will not penetrate into water. You can buy sealable waterprrof bags for gear,
But they are not designed for diving...

Will work great fishing sailing and will handle a dunking and splash with no problems.

Garmin gpsmap76s Had it for years it has 4 combat tours to the middle east with me, simple tp use, extremely rugged, can be used with most mapping programs including google earth. Can pull coordinates directly off some web pages. I paid over 350 for it about 10 years ago, you can find them on ebay now for under 100

Garmin 60csx
I don't load maps and stuff, just use it to mark a spot and get a bearing.
Always carry a lot of maps, compass, small weatherproof notebook and a pencil.

As said, GPS signals don't penetrate water, after a few days rain the forest canopy can become a real barrier for the GPS signal.