Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why CTX3030 over Etrac

eek

OK...I am thinking of the CTX 3030 as a replacement to my Etrac...could someone or all of ya'll tell me the advantage
of the CTX over the Etrac and is it worth the extra money????

Thanks,

eek (Elton in Mobile)

For me, I don't have to have a separate water machine anymore for occasional lake hunting. I also like the color screen and the multiple target ID. The various target separation modes is a big plus, as well as the manual ground balance. I REALLY love the better balance of the CTX as well.

I don't use the GPS features or the wireless module but for those who do, many really like them. The CTX is worth every cent to me over the ET.

Besides what Larry said....

I also don't use the GPS, but I like the wireless module.. It is awful nice to not have to worry about being tethered to the machine. I do like the target trace, find myself using it more and more...

Ditto what Larry and GK Man said. I also use the wireless module and love it. The CTX is also much more accurate on deep targets. Very few iffy targets. The GPS works great for me but I mostly use it for Big buck sign when I am hunting in areas that have them. I still have my E-Trac and love the X-1 probe but hardly use it. The CTX is also a very good relic machine. I have the bin for bullets and buttons set at 1200 and works well. HH :minelab:

My situation is different than anyone else's, but the CTX is way more stable at higher sensitivity than the E-Trac was. The sound of silver was easier to differentiate on the E-Trac. The balance and wireless are also big bonuses for me.

What everyone else has already mentioned. I still have my E-Trac but the CTX is so much more stable, accurate, well balanced, multiple targets ability and wireless I just leave the E-Trac at home.

What great comments.....you all just sold me on it....love the Etrac but with what was said I can see the advantage to stepping up.
The only thing that I will have to get over is the learning curve to a higher tech machine.

Thanks and still looking for more comments,

eek (Elton in Mobile)

I'd get a 3030 over the etrac and will one day,,,especially now that prices are dropping so much.
I've used a friends a few times and it's a keeper even if the song's not as sweet as the etrac and the wireless setup sucks compared to the Deus.

There's things the ctx will do that the e-trac and explorers can't such as target trace multiple targets under the coil at one time iron and coins mixed together showing them at the same time . This information will let you make better decisions on what to dig and what not to dig. The sense can be ran a lot higher and still stay stable giving more depth with less chatter ID is very accurate when ID is off there's a reason all you have to do is look at the screen there will be iron or aluminum mixed with the coin letting you make a accurate decision much quicker than the other detectors . the only blending of targets is when there stacked or touching if there a half inch away from each other it will tell you each targets ID .The e-trac and explorers are great machines but the CTX is a fantastic machine way more information than the other two which makes you hunt faster without as much guess work as the other two less digging more time detecting .I guess I'm just bias toward the CTX but I do have a explore 2 the last time I looked almost 3 years ago . Depth is the same as the other machines but there's less chatter when you crank it up stability well also give you more depth and the CTX is very good at this . sube

Yep what the other Gus said. I do like the wireless have not used the GPS but will try it someday.

The tones are the best of it for me. The ability to customize the tones and breaks is just fantastic. Target trace is another great feature along with the wireless module. I do use the GPS on mine to record hunts. A really good detector. I would like to see another update come out so I could add that to the list.

The CTX is superior but if you buy new you may be left with buyer's remorse. The cost to value upgrading isn't that great, unless you plan on water hunting. I'd buy used, takes some of the edge off the price differential after selling the E-Trac. Sell the used E-Trac for $890 and buy the CTX used for $1890, you're only out $1K.

Thought experiment: If the CTX finds 20% more than the E-Trac (for every 10 E-Trac recoveries you get 12 CTX), then under the above scenario you'd only need to recover 60 gold rings worth $100 each with the CTX to make it earn its keep (equal the value added over the E-Trac). That is, the CTX finds 60 rings but the E-Trac would have found 50. That's a difference of 10 rings x $100 each = $1000 profit; you've made your money back.

So, buy a used CTX and go find the 60 $100 rings (or 120 $50 rings).

Or buy it brand new, now you only need to find 96 gold rings worth $100 each with your CTX (the E-Trac would have found 80) to make your CTX cost effective. Or just get 192 gold rings worth $50 each, either way.

In other words, unless you are on average very successful at this hobby ... just get the CTX, take the loss, and go out and have fun! Don't think about the money.

Johnnyanglo

Why the CTX? Because it's better, that's all.

I started detecting with a pioneer bounty hunter500 bought used 100 bucks I enjoyed this detertor for what it was fun then I bought a used whites xlt nice detector but lots to learn to set it up right made a lot of nice finds with it .next came the explore se pro great detector good depth a little tricky to learn and get used to but a super good detector . now come the ctx 3030 heavey in hand yes but so well balanced you don,t notice it easy to use quick to learn so many ways to set it up and they all work great great detector all usable feathers if you want to play a bit an add to your detecting expierance. I have had battery leaking problems and my stock coil aready died reading no coil detected have to wait to first of month as on fixed income to send in for repair only wish minlab was a bit easier to work with but I do love my ctx

All comments sound great...I am getting a used CTX with 10 months warranty left....if it is better than my Etrac I will love it, and I guess that
I will have to up my finds on gold rings as I have not reached the fairly large number I will need to pay for the CTX, but that is OK with me.
This is a hobby although an addictive hobby and I do enjoy going even if I do not find a thing, just hope that part don't happen to often.
Thanks to everyone for the comments as they all helped with my decision. It will be shipped tomorrow and I will get it most likely on
Tuesday as Monday is a holiday....looking forward to using it and I will try to post how things go with it......

Thanks again and Happy Hunting,

eek (Elton in Mobile)

Good to hear Elton.
Looking forward to seeing what you find.

Even though I admired the Etrac, I never owned one and probably never would have. Really didn't like the tone choices and HATED the balance. The CTX is so much easier to swing, with the majority of the weight closer to the body so the shoulder does most of the work instead of the biceps and forearm. Love the combined mode with the ability to change tone frequency and breaks. Love being wireless and using whatever headphones I want to use.........more visual information...........waterproof..........gps..........update-able over the net........ It's a first-class machine and worth the price.

I did not study the comments carefully but i Luved my ET and we kept it as back up

The most telling part is that we all who have the CTX have found silver with nails and other metal in the same hole

That is Amazing as well as the very fast recovery and wireless ability

The one thing I miss is the SILVEEER sound in the ET which I have not been able to duplicate with the CTX

Good Luck and You Always Do Well With A MineLab