Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why does my Equinox 800 only hit coin on edge from one direction?

okiedoki

Just got my new Nox 800 it's already been updated.. Just wonder why it will only hit a coin on edge from one direction?
All modes will hit the coin on edge from same direction.. but do 90 and try to hit any coin from the horizontal direction.
I get nothing..
Am I doing something wrong?

Already tried the Factory Preset.. same thing.
Thanks for any help..

just my guess: Double D coil is the most sensitive down the center of the coil where the Double Ds intersect. Coin on edge parallel to the Double D intersection and coin on edge at right angle to
the Double D intersection will sound differently due to the amount of the coin's surface exposed to the Double D intersection during a sweep. Parallel =largest amount of the coin exposed and stronger signal,
at right angle to the intersection=smallest amount of the coin exposed to the most sensitive part of the coil weak to no signal.

Park 2 and Field 2 might detect a coin on edge better.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply..
All modes will hit the coins & gold band on edge loud and clear with correct ID .. 'coins on edge NOT horizontal to me'
But when I turn 90 degrees and try to hit the coins or gold band on edge from the 'horizontal' direction to me..
I get nothing.. if I come off center so that the front of the coil hits object I get a slight tone on each object.

I thought this was fixed with the update.. .. My new machine came already updated.

I even tried the horizontal edge in all single frequencies & got nothing that was digable.

I like my new Nox but I hope Minelab can fix this.
It is not uncommon to find gold bands & coins on edge.

Thanks for your reply..

Hi,
If you are air testing, your results are similar to mine. Luckily, I rarely run into buried coin and jewelry targets that are perfectly vertical AND that haven't been buried long enough to develop a good chemical halo
which makes the detectable target surface wider. I have found plenty of almost vertical coins and rings at depths of more than 6" with both the 600 and 800 after the update. This reinforces the good practice of turning 90 degrees to iffy targets and for detecting an area from more than one direction.

If I remember right, the situation was much worse before the update. By the way, this "problem" is not limited to the Nox. My F44 and F70 both do exactly the same thing whether using a DD coil or a concentric coil.

Jeff

Yes ..I was air testing..

I do get a good hit on the front tip of the coil ..then turn 90 and get the ID & a solid hit in the center.. so it's gonna work out..

I do like the Nox 800.. already cleaning up my yard & thought for sure I would find nothing..
But already found a mercury dime, silver quarter,& 3 wheat pennies..and I have only had my 800 for 2 days..
These targets were deep & my other detectors missed them.. so I'm sure there is more..

My yard has been pounded for years.. and now it's like a whole new hunting area.

I really like this machine.. it's so sweet.... can't wait to really learn how it works.

Thanks for the tips..
When I find gold.. I will be sure to post it.

cheers..

jmaclen said:
just my guess: Double D coil is the most sensitive down the center of the coil where the Double Ds intersect. Coin on edge parallel to the Double D intersection and coin on edge at right angle to
the Double D intersection will sound differently due to the amount of the coin's surface exposed to the Double D intersection during a sweep. Parallel =largest amount of the coin exposed and stronger signal,
at right angle to the intersection=smallest amount of the coin exposed to the most sensitive part of the coil weak to no signal.

Park 2 and Field 2 might detect a coin on edge better.

Jeff
That's why I use park 2 it seems to hit those coins on edge better for me

okiedoki said:
Just got my new Nox 800 it's already been updated.. Just wonder why it will only hit a coin on edge from one direction?
All modes will hit the coin on edge from same direction.. but do 90 and try to hit any coin from the horizontal direction.
I get nothing..

Thanks for any help..

*****************************************​

The reason okiedoki..(luv the 'handle',) is best explained by an analogy.

Hold the coin up, so you can see all the details.

Now turn it through 90 degrees and what details can you see ?

Your detector acts in a similar manner; (due to the coil's flux-line's radial-direction.being in the same vertical plane as the coin's surface.)

As one of the other posts correctly commented on, the type of search-coil configuration and it resulting flux pattern; that too can exacerbate matters.

The same affect applies to many detectors/coils, and it's nothing new......(You must be a 'newbie' to detecting?).......matt

I don’t think it is the coil design. When I had mine FW1.5 was insensitive in one plane, FW 1.75 was insensitive in the other. Same machine and coil.
OP has a right to complain.

okiedoki said:
I get nothing..

Thanks for any help..

??????????????????????????​

Okiedoki......let's do a common-sense test, and see if you can realise the reason for your problem.

Hold coin up in the air, with the flat-side facing your sight.

Yep..all being well, you should see the coin clearly....?

Now turn it through 90 degrees.....it's now 'on-edge' visually....Not much to see now, relitively speaking...

Your detector experiences the same situation.....

Imagine a coin (on-edge), deep in soil......an even more difficult sittuation.....for you don't know it positional status....

Your detector sees the virtical coin best, when youi sweep 'into' its face. Alternatively....it sees much less when swept at 90 degrees to the original direction.

In soil, any adjafcent conductors, (fe or non-fe) will confuse matters even more.

Does that explain matter sufficiently for you?.....matt

I agree, it seems to give a better indication of a good coin then Park 1 or Field 1.

Tony N.J.

I might be weird, but I’ve never air tested my Nox 600. I learned from my other detectors that there is no perfect detector in every one of the possible configurations I could create, so I chose to not learn any shortcomings that it might have. I just get out as often as I can and am thankful for the great performance of the machine. There is so much that is positive with these machines, that to vilify a machine for something that was a man made scenario, is nit picking at its finest. Perhaps those chastising the machine for not being able to do something they may have expected it to do, would consider having their spouse do an exhaustive evaluation of said spouse's expectations of them when they first married, then voice those deficiencies on social media, while ignoring all the positive traits of the critiqued spouse.

To focus on deficiencies while ignoring the positive attributes is a recipe for disaster in any relationship...human or with a machine. You’ll always be thinking that you’re going to miss something because your self inflicted scenario that may or may not ever occur for you. You need to sell me your machine for $100 and go buy a machine that will meet your created air test scenario. Otherwise, you’ll always have that "what if" floating in the back of your mind.:biggrin:

I might go $150 if the machine is clean...after all, it’s already proven defective.:heh:

I made the switch to park 2 and field 2. Good things in these setups, thanks all for suggesting them.

JoeVal said:
I might be weird, but I’ve never air tested my Nox 600. I learned from my other detectors that there is no perfect detector in every one of the possible configurations I could create, so I chose to not learn any shortcomings that it might have. I just get out as often as I can and am thankful for the great performance of the machine. There is so much that is positive with these machines, that to vilify a machine for something that was a man made scenario, is nit picking at its finest. Perhaps those chastising the machine for not being able to do something they may have expected it to do, would consider having their spouse do an exhaustive evaluation of said spouse's expectations of them when they first married, then voice those deficiencies on social media, while ignoring all the positive traits of the critiqued spouse.

To focus on deficiencies while ignoring the positive attributes is a recipe for disaster in any relationship...human or with a machine. You’ll always be thinking that you’re going to miss something because your self inflicted scenario that may or may not ever occur for you. You need to sell me your machine for $100 and go buy a machine that will meet your created air test scenario. Otherwise, you’ll always have that "what if" floating in the back of your mind.:biggrin:

I might go $150 if the machine is clean...after all, it’s already proven defective.:heh:

I see it this way too.... I just go out and hunt and appreciate the machine for what it is.

Digger 45 said:
That's why going different directions and criss crossing a field or park will yield more targets

That makes sense. Also, if the signal sounds good in one direction and not the other, including on a cross pattern, I still dig the target.