Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will the Vanquish enough to replace my MXT?

TnShooter

Howdy folks.

I am in the market for a new detector.
I currently have a White’s MXT. It’s been my only detector for 10 years.
I never did any coin hunting, I alway dug civil war relics.
I haven’t used the MXT for about 4 years, but picked it up again a few weeks ago.
I am just getting back into detecting, and this time it will be 70%/30 %- Coin/Relics.

My question is, will the Vanquish 540 run as good as or better than than the MXT?
Or would I be better off with an Equino? 600 or 800?
We have moderately mineralized soil where I live, so that my be a concern at times.

Since your an experienced user with a very capable detector already, I think you might be happier with the Equinox series. The Vanquish 540 is no slouch but I think you would appreciate the advanced configurability that the Nox provides.

I have an MXT-E....I was using it all the time before I recently got my X-Terra Pro... I keep taking the MXT with me... But I never pull it out of the car... The X-Terra is light weight... Has way too many things I can configure if I want.... And I'm finding many small targets I never did before... I don't know if I'll drift back or not... But I'll keep taking the MXT anyhow....

Vanquish. Good machine. Deep. I keep my 440 ready.

Thank you all for the input.
I do have a friend with a 440.

We went out recently to a spot he had been to many times.
I did better than he did with my MXT, but I believe my experience with the MXT was why I dug stuff he had misssed.
I am by no means bragging about myself. But I remember when the Fisher F75 came out and it was the “best” relic machin.
I did just as well with my MXT as any of the other guys running the F75.

The reason I asked about the vanquish series is that I don’t have the time to detect like I used too.
And it is VERY light compact to the MXT, plus it is Multi-Freq.

I’m thinking maybe the Nox 800 is the better choice.
Now I just have to convince myself the extra cost is worth it.

Thank you all again.

Thank you all for the input.
I do have a friend with a 440.

We went out recently to a spot he had been to many times.
I did better than he did with my MXT, but I believe my experience with the MXT was why I dug stuff he had misssed.
I am by no means bragging about myself. But I remember when the Fisher F75 came out and it was the “best” relic machin.
I did just as well with my MXT as any of the other guys running the F75.

The reason I asked about the vanquish series is that I don’t have the time to detect like I used too.
And it is VERY light compact to the MXT, plus it is Multi-Freq.

I’m thinking maybe the Nox 800 is the better choice.
Now I just have to convince myself the extra cost is worth it.

Thank you all again.
I'd go with the 900 or the Manticore.
I have the Manticore and Legend.
Still learning both. Can't give much advice there.
I've had the MXT for 15 yrs. Still love it.
Always comes with. It comes out in bad EMI areas.
Though my Tesoro Mojave is still the smoothest in EMI. Just not deep like the other's.

One thing I do love is the Manti screen display.If you have the funds to spend.

Is the only difference in the 800 vs 900 is

900 has a few more sensitivity setting, vibration grip, and a flash light?
I don’t care to spend the extra money. But is it that much better?

One thing I do love is the Manti screen display.If you have the funds to spend.

It’s a possibility.
I hadn’t intended to spend that much.
But I have had my MXT for 15+ years.

I bet the Nox and Manti will need 3 or 4 battery pack replaced by then.
so that’s a concern as well.

It’s a possibility.
I hadn’t intended to spend that much.
But I have had my MXT for 15+ years.

I bet the Nox and Manti will need 3 or 4 battery pack replaced by then.
so that’s a concern as well.
Yes I do wish they had a water tight easily replaced battery. I held off for awhile because of that.
I'll say the Legend is much easier to use with just as many adjustments as the minelabs.
Built much better as well.
I think I enjoy it more actually.

This is just my opinion.
The Vanquish is a special detector, uses the same technology as the Nox and for some people was deeper. Its coils are much less expensive. Its VID is very stable and probably accurate to deeper levels than the MXT. It uses 4 AA batteries which will be available for a long time, are easily carried as spares, and which you will never have to ship off to have changed out. If you long for the many different adjustments and think you can make what Minelab thinks is best even better, go with the Nox or Manticore. The Vanquish can only adjust sensitivity, discrimination, volume including iron tone, iron bias, and to some degree reactivity because relic seems much slower but deeper, coin seems the fastest. If you get the Vanquish and really like it but want more adjustments, you could be pretty confident in your decision to spend hundreds of dollars more for Equinox or Manticore. If you go for the most expensive one and don't "bond" with it, then the loss would probably be around the price of a Vanquish of one model or another. The Vanquish is the least expensive SMF to see if that has any advantages over what you have. I bought the 540 for exactly that reason. I've been very happy with it.

One other thing on the batteries--with rechargeable AAs and 9V batteries, I just leave my detectors in the pickup in the sun and have had no problems whatsoever. I bought a lithium battery bank with solar panels on it and left it in the truck. The heat caused it to expand and become useless. I make sure I keep the Deus and Legend, along with cordless headphones in the house when not in use.

Yes I do wish they had a water tight easily replaced battery. I held off for awhile because of that.
I'll say the Legend is much easier to use with just as many adjustments as the minelabs.
Built much better as well.
I think I enjoy it more actually.

Which Minelab?
The Vanquish or the Nox?

This is just my opinion.
The Vanquish is a special detector, uses the same technology as the Nox and for some people was deeper. Its coils are much less expensive. Its VID is very stable and probably accurate to deeper levels than the MXT. It uses 4 AA batteries which will be available for a long time, are easily carried as spares, and which you will never have to ship off to have changed out. If you long for the many different adjustments and think you can make what Minelab thinks is best even better, go with the Nox or Manticore. The Vanquish can only adjust sensitivity, discrimination, volume including iron tone, iron bias, and to some degree reactivity because relic seems much slower but deeper, coin seems the fastest. If you get the Vanquish and really like it but want more adjustments, you could be pretty confident in your decision to spend hundreds of dollars more for Equinox or Manticore. If you go for the most expensive one and don't "bond" with it, then the loss would probably be around the price of a Vanquish of one model or another. The Vanquish is the least expensive SMF to see if that has any advantages over what you have. I bought the 540 for exactly that reason. I've been very happy with it.

One other thing on the batteries--with rechargeable AAs and 9V batteries, I just leave my detectors in the pickup in the sun and have had no problems whatsoever. I bought a lithium battery bank with solar panels on it and left it in the truck. The heat caused it to expand and become useless. I make sure I keep the Deus and Legend, along with cordless headphones in the house when not in use.
How does the Legend compare to the 540?

I did make a phone call to a local dealer.
I was told the Legend was built to compete with the Nox.
But the Nox was a better detector with a few more features.

Then again, the Nox cost more and this was a dealer giving me the information.
I will say, the dealer was very nice and actually recommended the 800 over the 900.
Not that the 800 was better, but it fit my needs and budget better.
After all, I called about the Vanquish.

I did my best to do some research before asking here on the forum.
But I found most of the reviews on the Vanquish were hard to watch.
Most were of guys just digging parks. And to be honest, I’m not sure they even knew what all the setting were.

Which Minelab?
The Vanquish or the Nox?
The 800,900 and Manticore.
So far the Legend has been easier to learn.
Still a long way to go being as comfortable as I am with the MXT.
I don't know how deep they will go on relics and iron.
The deepest machines I've ever ran and still own an use. Just getting to heavy.
The Minelab Explorer XS.
I dug a sliver plated ivory handle bottle can opener.
In blonde sand fresh water beach.
Headlands Beach, Mentor Ohio.
Running the Wild Orange Thing,, WOT 15" coil.
I dug it at over 30".
And my Sovereign GT with the 13" ultimate coil.
Deepest machine's I've known.
Both to heavy for any real time hunting.
Why I tried the Simplex, Legend and now the Manticore. The Manticore is very much like my old XS. Just way more settings. So far anyway.
Sorry I don't think I'm helping much.
I wish I knew more of these new machines.
Been layed up for the better part of the last 3 1/2 years. Just getting back on my feet. Though still very weak. Be patient. Study more on your decision.
Good Luck ...

How does the Legend compare to the 540?

Then again, the Nox cost more and this was a dealer giving me the information.
I will say, the dealer was very nice and actually recommended the 800 over the 900.
Not that the 800 was better, but it fit my needs and budget better.
After all, I called about the Vanquish.

I did my best to do some research before asking here on the forum.
But I found most of the reviews on the Vanquish were hard to watch.
Most were of guys just digging parks. And to be honest, I’m not sure they even knew what all the setting were.
Yes I too got frustrated with reviews.
I more enjoyed watching others hunt using the machines.

The 800,900 and Manticore.
So far the Legend has been easier to learn.
Still a long way to go being as comfortable as I am with the MXT.
I don't know how deep they will go on relics and iron.
The deepest machines I've ever ran and still own an use. Just getting to heavy.
The Minelab Explorer XS.
I dug a sliver plated ivory handle bottle can opener.
In blonde sand fresh water beach.
Headlands Beach, Mentor Ohio.
Running the Wild Orange Thing,, WOT 15" coil.
I dug it at over 30".
And my Sovereign GT with the 13" ultimate coil.
Deepest machine's I've known.
Both to heavy for any real time hunting.
Why I tried the Simplex, Legend and now the Manticore. The Manticore is very much like my old XS. Just way more settings. So far anyway.
Sorry I don't think I'm helping much.
I wish I knew more of these new machines.
Been layed up for the better part of the last 3 1/2 years. Just getting back on my feet. Though still very weak. Be patient. Study more on your decision.
Good Luck ...

You are most certainly helping.
i appreciate you taking time to answer my question.
thank you.

BTW, it is cool you swing an MXT.
The MXT is not hard to use, and once you “know” the machine, it almost talks to you.

It‘s a heavy tank for sure.
But it a relic sniffer once you understand it.

I‘m just wanting to try a new machine.

You are most certainly helping.
i appreciate you taking time to answer my question.
thank you.

BTW, it is cool you swing an MXT.
The MXT is not hard to use, and once you “know” the machine, it almost talks to you.

It‘s a heavy tank for sure.
But it a relic sniffer once you understand it.

I‘m just wanting to try a new machine.
Thank You.
I wanted a new machine as well.
Though after ripping out both shoulders last year.
Weight is now a primary concern.

To the point any equinox you can afford is a better choice. In my experience the Vanquish is a dumbed down Nox. The build is eh, my 42 yr old stepson knocked the vanquish control pod nearly clean off. He went to the Nox and loved it and now added a Manticore. He’s a little rough on his detecting equipment 😉.
I’m a longtime Whites guy back to the 1980’s. When my V3i became heavy I went to F75 , 5 years ago to the Equinox 800 & 600 , this year Deus 2. The Nox & D2 cover 90% of what I need. The 10% is P.I. Detecting - all metal saltwater wading. I’ve owned Soverigns, CZ’s, ATPro, Makro Racer and a few more. The Equinox hits a sweet spot and can detect in any environment. Ya can also hunt in single frequency. It’s a clear winner to me.
It’s hard to beat the Nox. The Xterra Pro if you are on a tight budget is an excellent choice - price is unbeatable, but not transmitting mutil frequency at the same time like the Nox. Field Reports on the Xterra Pro are 👍.
Good Luck!

That is very debatable. Note that the 900 added vibration and an led light which the Legend already had. I am not sure what features he is talking about. I bet he makes more money selling the Nox.

I like the Legend better than the Vanquish only because I can adjust the tone breaks and tones. My 540 gives the 4th tone to zincs as well as quarters. The Legend will do anything the Equinox will do and is less likely to leak and less expensive. If you don't mind spending more than on the Vanquish, the Legend would be my choice. I've heard of a few people who broke the control box on the Vanquish and the Garrett AT Pro but not near as many as ones who have had their Equinox sent back for leaking water and replacing coils because of broken ears. The Legend had speaker problems. None are perfect and in my opinion, no clear winner. You will most likely like any of them. I doubt any of them will beat your MXT by much except in weight and salt water. Your money, do what you want. I guess after 15 years with the MXT, I shouldn't have to tell you to watch out for people who think that only their favorite brand is best.

That is very debatable. Note that the 900 added vibration and an led light which the Legend already had. I am not sure what features he is talking about. I bet he makes more money selling the Nox.

I like the Legend better than the Vanquish only because I can adjust the tone breaks and tones. My 540 gives the 4th tone to zincs as well as quarters. The Legend will do anything the Equinox will do and is less likely to leak and less expensive. If you don't mind spending more than on the Vanquish, the Legend would be my choice. I've heard of a few people who broke the control box on the Vanquish and the Garrett AT Pro but not near as many as ones who have had their Equinox sent back for leaking water and replacing coils because of broken ears. The Legend had speaker problems. None are perfect and in my opinion, no clear winner. You will most likely like any of them. I doubt any of them will beat your MXT by much except in weight and salt water. Your money, do what you want. I guess after 15 years with the MXT, I shouldn't have to tell you to watch out for people who think that only their favorite brand is best.
I understand that.
I’m a Toyota guy. I get it.
But I’m not 100% loyal to anything.
I am loyal to quality and performance.

I like the idea of having different (more) tone breaks.
Thanks for the reply. I’m using all this information to help make my decision.
I do my best to gets reviews and opinions before I make any purchase.