Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6000 Mile Search for a LC was Successful

Mason Jarr

A few months ago I made a post advertising my intent to travel back east from Idaho with two goals in mind: find my first Large Cent and visit the last nine of our fifty states I've never been to. I'm pleased to report that both goals were accomplished. Here are some statistics from my journey. I left Idaho on April 10th and returned on May 27th. In those 48 days I traveled 9104 miles, spent $2418.30 on hotels and campgrounds, $1076 on gas, $30.50 on tolls, $179 on vehicle repairs and $921 on food and miscellaneous items. Other than my first LC, I had several other first finds on the trip: first 1800s silver coin, first Barber quarter, first Shield nickel, first Two Cent piece, first Seated Liberty dime, first Seated Liberty quarter, first 90% silver Kennedy half, first Standing Liberty Quarter and first coin of any type from the 1700s. In total I was fortunate to find three LCs (two Liberty Heads from Pennsylvania and one Draped Bust {1797} from New York), 46 silver coins, 19 Indian Head cents, 116 Wheats (including a 1914D), one Two Cent piece, one Shield nickel, seven "V" nickels, nine Buffalo nickels and a US minted Filipino one centavo. I'd like to thank the following people who I was either fortunate to hunt with or they assisted me in locating places to hunt:

PastorBob - we hunted together in SE Nebraska and northern Kansas...and both found a little silver
ShawnIN - he recommended some places in Indiana and also took me to one of his hot spots at an old fairgrounds
Bell-Two - although we weren't able to get together for a hunt, Tony shared a spot where they've made some great finds in the past and I was able to get my oldest IH to date
SteveO - Steve was determined that my first LC come from Pennsylvania and he put me onto a spot where I was able to get two within 10 minutes of each other. The rain prevented us from being able to hunt together, but I'll always credit Steve with helping me find my first LC.
GKMan - Gary was gracious to offer his assistance in finding a LC when I got to New York. Since I found two in PA I opted to bow out of hunting with Gary as I knew he had a busy schedule and I didn't want to be a burden. I did stop by and look at his amazing collection of Colonial coins and relics though. Very impressive.
DigginVT - Jon and his friend Garry, took me to some old sites in Vermont. We found some relics and I was able to dig a 1854 Seated Liberty quarter and two cent piece in the same hole.
DiggerODirt - Robert and I met up with his friend Bob to hunt an old race track/fair grounds that's produced gobs of finds over the years. I was able to get my first (and only) Barber dime from the 1800s...1898. All three of us lost about a pint of blood each due to the brambles in this thickly overgrown spot.

Ultimately, I had one of the best trips of my 54 years. The cost wasn't insignificant, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'm truly grateful to the above folks, and lots of others who helped behind the scene, for their willingness to help a total stranger to achieve his goal. Too many people get caught up in protecting their "secret" spots and don't want anyone else to find any of their coins. It was refreshing to know there are still some people around who know this hobby is truly about the relationships and time well spent in the hunt.

Of course there are some photos!

Mason, This has to be the most amazing and wonderful story I've read on these forums. The finds are spectacular. Your appreciation of your detecting friends and your solid belief in finding goodies proves that we get what we believe. HH, Jabbo

What an outstanding road trip! Thanks for taking us along on your adventure...it was great to share it with us, and get those other guys involved! Great work all around!:please:
Mud

Great story - congrats on all the fantastic finds ! :clapping:

Congrats on a sucessful trip.. you rezlly cleaned up.. what did it feel like when you dug up your 1st large cent? Congrats

A big applause:clapping: to you, their history and discoveries. A trip to have a lot of envy. A good fellow, very generous. Thanks for sharing, this must be repeated

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on all your firsts and oldest finds. It shows what a great group treasure hunters are to share so many good spots with you. It also made me realize how lucky I am to be in the northeast where a lot of your finds came from. Many detectorists dream of finding their first large cent and I managed to find 6 from 6 different sites in the last month or so. Thanks again for sharing your story and the great pics.

Congratulations Mason, a dream trip of a lifetime for many I'm sure....:clapping:

Thanks for sharing.Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time.Thanks also to the kind folks that shared their hunting spots.And the finds are incredible!!!HH:jump:

bootyhoundpa said:
Congrats on a sucessful trip.. you rezlly cleaned up.. what did it feel like when you dug up your 1st large cent? Congrats

It's hard to describe. I had a lot of feelings at once. When I first got the signal, a 12-45 as most people told me it would be, my hands starting shaking and my heartbeat increased. Now this is before I even cut the plug. After I cut the plug and the target was still in the hole, then I really got excited. But after removing some dirt and seeing that large, green tinted coin in the bottom I actually got pretty calm. I reached in there and got it out. It had a lot of crud on it, rightfully so, but I was able to see it enough to read the date. At first I thought it said 1814 and I thought, "Wow, a 200 year old coin", but later after I cleaned it some more it was the 1844 you see pictured. About ten minutes later I got an identical signal and dug the 1837. I don't know if there were any more targets there or not. I quit. My goal had been to find a LC and I had two, so I figured I'd leave some in case another person came along with the same goal as I'd had.

An amazing story with dream finds, friendships made and lifetime memories. Thank you very much for sharing this story with me.

you absolutely killed it....and did it on the road ta boot!!!!! Good thing the forum got you connected with the folks you mentioned as going "blind" may not have been so productive? EXCELLANT trip/finds Mike!!!!

oneguy said:
you absolutely killed it....and did it on the road ta boot!!!!! Good thing the forum got you connected with the folks you mentioned as going "blind" may not have been so productive? EXCELLANT trip/finds Mike!!!!

Having people who helped me was a tremendous asset. I also spent the entire winter researching and mapping spots I wanted to check out. When I left home, I had 1700 pages of maps with me (no kidding!). Without checking back through my journal, I'd roughly say 1/3 of the finds came from the help of others and 2/3 came from the research I did, some door knocking and a large dose of good, plain LUCK. Since I could only afford to spend a little time checking out a spot and staying on my schedule, when I'd roll into a new location if it looked good I'd do a diagonal search across it and then zig zag back to my starting point. If I didn't find at least one keeper I moved on. If I did find a keeper or two, then I'd work the area a little more thoroughly. One location I chanced upon due to being diverted by a snow storm. It ended up being a great spot and I pulled 5 silver dimes, 6 IHs, 16 Wheats (including the 14D) and a buffalo nickel from it. I stayed at that spot for most of the day until I had to drive on to meet one of my hosts the next day.

Being in S. California, old and not getting out much, I can only envy those fantastic finds. I hope it was more than just a metal detecting trip, though, and you took the time to look at and photograph the scenery, small towns, old hotels, etc. while you were on your trip.

You are correct Old Lobo. Up at the beginning I mentioned my 2nd goal was to visit the last nine states I've never been too, so sight seeing was a HUGE part of this trip. I love looking at majestic old court houses so I took some photos of those as I came across ones that really stood out. I liked being in the NE where most of the unvisited states were, but I didn't like all the traffic. I'm from a rural area in Georgia and live in a small town in Idaho now. Even though I spent 30 years in the Air Force I still prefer small towns and reasonable traffic. I don't know how people do it, but I happened to hit Philadelphia on a Sunday evening just as everyone was returning from the Eastern Shores. Thank God I had a GPS and people took pity on the Idaho hick who needed to get across five lanes of traffic to get to an exit!!

Mason,
glad you got home safely. Had a great time hunting with you. I did not want you to find the LC here or you may have turned around and went home. Let me know the next time you get out this way.

Dang someone already said it in first response! But a story like that it can be said twice. This prob the best post I have read on these forums. This is surely my favorite post what a good time you had fella. And great job on your part giving thanks to the people that helped you. Metal Detectorists are a special group of guys. Try to do something like that deer hunting with out paying for it. And im so glad your big pennies came from PA. Go PA! Im in north western PA.