Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Broken ears on stock coil

But there are so many of these stiffeners online... Which ones actually work ? I'd hate to have the coil ears on my 6" DD Equinox coil break before one year of ownership.
I doubt you will ever break the ears on the 6 " coil unless you are whacking trees with it. I have had my Equinox for a few years now with the stock coil and have not had issues. That being said I'm sure the stiffener will help , but realistically I think it would be more beneficial on a bigger coil where there is more weight and drag. I will probably add one to my Christmas list. Also I have been using the 6 inch coil for about 4 months out in the woods , around small trees and under growth with no issues as it is easier to maneuver in tight areas.

I just did my 6” epoxied the stiffener to the coil see how thick the tabs are some are definitely made better than other I’d say as soon as your warranty is out epoxy a stiffener on or even better do it right away!!!

Attachments

• 793F052F-B3E6-492A-9031-D10F1537680E.jpeg
    793F052F-B3E6-492A-9031-D10F1537680E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
  • 69EFE53D-3719-4C84-8E88-41CC57EE1E26.jpeg
    69EFE53D-3719-4C84-8E88-41CC57EE1E26.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 147
I only wished that my coil ears didn't shatter into lost pieces that were difficult to find without a headlamp or else I'd have tried Mark's fix above.
Guess I should try to contact Minelab as I'm still within my three-year warranty.

I only wished that my coil ears didn't shatter into lost pieces that were difficult to find without a headlamp or else I'd have tried Mark's fix above.
Guess I should try to contact Minelab as I'm still within my three-year warranty.
You can still use the method all you need is some hard plastic washers that take the place of the factory ears the same thickness epoxy those to the stiffener check fit after it dries then epoxy the stiffener to coil...That JB epoxy is super strong..
not to hard really
Mark

Good thing it is still under warrenty. But if it was not you would still need to build up the stock ears, the stiffeners are made to be on the outside and need that extra space.

Unfortunately I am going to have to get an ear stiffener for my 800 Nox. Noticed one ear broke , I still have the ear just need to get the stiffener and I have some JB Weld for plastic. I think a redesign by Minelab should be done. Im outside the warranty , woulda coulda shoulda gotten a stiffener when I posted back in December. Shame on me , but shame on Minelab. Definately getting a stiffener for my 6 inch coil as well.

Unfortunately I am going to have to get an ear stiffener for my 800 Nox. Noticed one ear broke , I still have the ear just need to get the stiffener and I have some JB Weld for plastic. I think a redesign by Minelab should be done. Im outside the warranty , woulda coulda shoulda gotten a stiffener when I posted back in December. Shame on me , but shame on Minelab. Definately getting a stiffener for my 6 inch coil as well.
Yes JB weld is one of the best to use and when you epoxy the stiffener on you can heat up the epoxy a bit in the microwave it makes it easier to mix and fill.
I epoxied mine on right away and check the washers replace them they're probably worm to.
Mark

Yes JB weld is one of the best to use and when you epoxy the stiffener on you can heat up the epoxy a bit in the microwave it makes it easier to mix and fill.
I epoxied mine on right away and check the washers replace them they're probably worm to.
Mark
Thanks for the advice the washers are in good shape. Also going to put a stiffener on my 6 inch coil even though it doesn't get the amount of stress as the 11 inch.

Jb weld is the most handy useful thing I guy can have one hand for so many fixes. I always keep the quick and regular on hand at all times. Use it on many projects always works well. The quick is not as strong but for light fixes is great sets up in 4 hours the regular sets up in 24 . Outstanding epoxy. Will not let you down