Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX 3030 battery seal leaking.

Just came back from the beach, cleaned the machine, and took off the battery pack to charge the unit. Some water inside. The pink gasket seems to be intact and the slot looks clean. It would be a good idea if they furnished an extra set of gaskets with the machine when it is sold just in case the unit does leak. Anybody else have this problem...Nes

This probably goes without saying, but I thought I'd toss it out there anyway.

http://www.minelab.com/usa/customer-care/product-notices?article=109061

Thanks for the information... I checked the slot and seal and there wasn't any sand in the grove or on the seal. I'll see how it works after the reassembly. I think it would be a good idea to have spares on hand. They do get compressed and old... Nes

I had the same problem I put 2 raps of teflon tape arround the housing and folded it in to the chanel and i havent had anymore leaks. When I charge the battery I change the tape

Teflon Tape 4R a unit that was $2500

Well it is a water machine, but I didn't want to say that. Possibly just a defective gasket. Practically every machine I have ever owned had one fault or another that showed up eventually. Better sooner than later. That includes a Garrett, two Fishers, a Whites PI, a Sovereign, two Excaliburs, A JW Fishers water machine, a Tesoro Lobo for gold, an Explorer, and now the CTX. As I said, every machine I have ever used had something that needed sorting out and this one will be no different.

I agree with Dave, I picked up silicon gasket lube at the hardware store, I'm sure it is the same stuff.

stitchlips said:
What are you guys using to get that o-ring out of there? Mine is in there good.
A can of air with air tube, or a compressor pops right out.
BCNJ

Thanks! Anyone notice any blue goo around the pins in the housing? It looks almost like grease but it is only on two of the pins. I am wondering if it is water turned to goo.

The blue goo is the result of water getting on the pins.......Ralph at SunRay ( the dealer I purchased my CTX from) contacted me and has replacement seals if needed. So I would guess the seals would be available from the other Minelab dealers as well.....

Great and thanks for the info. I just removed the seal, blew out the slot with compressed air, cleaned it and applied a thin layer of silicone grease. Hopefully that fixes the issue. How do you clean off the silicone grease though when I go to clean the housing again?

Thanks for all of the replies. I was talking to Ralph at SunRay about CTX accessories awhile back and he mentioned that he now had a replacement kit of 3 silicone gaskets and including some other necessary rubber products. I bought the kit just to keep spares on hand. I think it cost around $17. I already have a couple of jars of divers silicone gel that I bought years ago so I won't have to bother with that item... Nes

Minenelab should be including at least one spare in the box.
$16.50 for a part that I'm guessing costs pennies to make.
Add $5.35 to ship an item that weighs a few grams? I'd say we are being taken to the cleaners.

Step up minelab and show the people who are buying your flagship model you care.

Let me add that if the battery were able to be charged while on the detector. There wouldn't be as many chances for foreign objects to enter and possibly jeopardize the seal. That fact that we have to remove the battery each time it needs a charge, compromises the seal. How many tiny particles of dirt are falling in when we remove the battery? I've even had the gasket follow the battery out a few times when removing to charge it.

Those gaskets should be $6.00 tops. I bet there would still be 100% profit line if they were.