Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX 3030 battery seal leaking.

I developed a leak also one of my pins is corroded. I am kind of torn of what to do about it. The machine though works perfectly fine.

I emailed Minelab about the corrosion and they want a picture, but I just sealed it up with silicone grease. I am going to wait a few days to take a pic. As far as supplying us with O-rings, they should at least give us a spare. I had a Tesoro Sand Shark. It came with two spares and a tube of silicone grease.

Howard,
Do you use silicone grease on the o-ring? If you do, did the leak develop before or after using the grease?

I'm about to purchase some stuff on amazon. My concearn is that eventually I will have a mix of sand and grease in the groove. Can someone give me input on this concearn?

I thought the same thing. That's why I asked how to clean it after the grease has been applied but no one responded yet. I think we will just need to be more careful when cleaning it.

I was talking to a fellow CTXer and he feels when waves hit the machine from the side it can force sand/water into the battery compartment.

I saw below where someone was wrapping the grove with Teflon tape and made the think of the housing cover some guy was selling that I believe would protect the machine and keep the sand and water from being driven into the grove/seal, etc.

I was told to use silicone grease on the connectors to help them screw in and keep the from corroding, but grease on the seal would tend to make sand stick to the gasket and grove and then how do you get it out?

Just my thoughts,

Jerry

If there is a protective housing cover can you provide a link.
As far as the grease, I had a ATPRO before and the screw in battery compartment it came with a factory grease coating that could get covered in sand.

A protective rubber boot would be a great idea! I did the silicone grease trick and took her out and submerged her about a foot or so underwater. Will see how it looks when I take the battery off after a few more hunts. The Teflon tape is a good idea too. I used to work in the silicone mold industry. I might have to make a silicone cover for it myself.

Wonder if any of the sponsors on findmall will make and/or sell the covers for the 3030.

Looks like it would do a great job protecting the machine and keeping it like new.

Bound to help with wave pressure on that seal area as well. I need to do more research myself,

If anyone has tried them please let us know,

Thanks

Jerry

I opened mine up after a good soaking and found a lot of sand under the battery lid in the back. The layer of silicone grease completely blocked the sand from getting any further. Without it, it would have leaked. I was using the machine in about shoulder deep water where there was a fast flowing current. There was a lot of sand flowing with the water. I added this as an extra precaution. This should prevent any sand from getting in at all. Keep it simple. I used a big rubber band from a bunch of broccoli! And yes it is pink.

rubberband.jpg

I just got an email from the Minelab service department. They have stated that it is ok to use silicone grease on the seal. It will not void your warranty. This was Minelab in America.

a large condom over the top of the battery compartment. I think a nice red or purple would look great...

Howard Snell said:
I just read on a Aussie forum that they claim minelab says any lube may void warranty. Just a heads up

I'm on that Aussie forum Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting

We all well most of us agree prevention is the best cure so a rubber band at the very least over the catches is the way to go as we don't want what happened to a mates ctX to happen to us.

aussie

WoW.. This failure appears to be happening way too often with this machine and those of us using in under water. Two fellow MD'ers on another forum had the same issue with their battery pack getting fried even after checking the seal and putting that silicone coating and tying up the batter p console with rubber bands.

I not going in the water with this machine, it sucks because I just purchased the GG headsets for the water, and it appears I am not going to submerge anything under water. The machine appear to be more like rain proof and not water proof. I'm just saying. For $2,500.00 you would think there would not be design flaw like this, but there is. Sorry, I call it like I see it.

I am sorry for those MD'ers that are experiencing these problems, maybe Minelab can issue a " RECALL " ( God knows the machine costs as much as a car ), and fix the leaking battery compartment.

I traded my E-trac and Excalibur on this machine. It's going to suck if I can't use it in chest deep water.
Cal