Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Desmond Dunne has passed away I've just learned. Great guy and always fun to converse with...

Guvner

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. That took me by surprise. We had just traded emails not long ago. Des and I worked together on many of the MInelab projects. He was one of the few guys at Minelab who not only understood how to build a detector, but also how to use one. He was also one of the first to use videos to demonstrate proper detector use. RIP Des.
HH Randy

Found out Friday . . . . great guy that was always willing to share what he knew . . . was the face of Minelab for years over in Ireland. Will be sorely missed.

Posted this on several Facebook groups and thought it warranted sharing here . . . .

===================

Never Like to Get Bad News . . . Found out that Des Dunne Passed Away

If you have been in the hobby for any length of time especially if you are a fan of Minelab equipment or are a hunter in the UK, you probably have heard of Des Dunne. For years he was the face of Minelab’s Ireland office and was heavily involved in the development of most of their detectors from the Sovereign on up.

I can say that I had the opportunity to call him a friend and in fact he was pictured on the cover of the original Minelab Quattro Handbook I published many years ago. A lot of the material inside that book and then the Safari & Quattro Handbook that followed came from our collaboration. Des and Minelab took different paths when leadership took the company a different direction but he remained an avid detectorist and produced numerous critical, detailed field tests on a wide range of equipment.

When you get news like this it makes you realize that there are no guarantees in life and therefore need to make every day count. If you knew Des or had even read his articles, posts and field tests, take a moment and reflect on what you gave to the hobby and those he touched. If you did not have the chance to cross paths in some way with Des, think about those that you have and maybe take a moment and reach out to those you have been meaning to but have put off . . . sometime that opportunity never happens.

Did not know him, but may he Rest in Peace.

Des and I were talking quite often via email. He helped me out so many times with advice and finding equipment. I just recently mailed him a surprise package of 2 bags of Dunkin Dark coffee that he said he always stocks up on when in the US. He was excited to get a surprise package from me. 4 days after telling him I was sending it he sent me a short email: in hospital again very sick. That's the last I heard from him.I learned of his passing on the Minelab Sovereign forum. I don't know how else I would have found out. So this website is much more than some people take it for. Rest in peace my friend 🙏

Des Dunne, not long ago made a video of the Vista X. I picked up a couple of tips , I wouldn't have thought of. Watching the video, you could tell he was a good guy.
Farewell Des

this was a shock to me about Des Dunne as we E Mailed back and forth a few times and found he was very knowledgeable on the Minelab detectors and felt the same way about the Sovereigns.
Rest In Peace Des Dunne as you will be missed.

I will always remember him as the cool guy on MLO tv with tips on detecting. Rest in peace Des.
HH Jeff

Rest in Peace Des, you will be greatly missed . Your wisdom and knowledge have been a tremendous resource for all of us. My condolences to the Dunne family and friends.. HH Ron

So Sad to hear this. I really enjoyed his video's. I would ask him question's in the comments ans he would Always reply.

Des you'll be missed by all. God Bless his family 🙏

Such sad news. RIP, Des.

I never met Des in person but years ago we messaged back and forth several times about metal detecting in Maine.
His passing is a great loss to this hobby.