Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dug a 1909-S VDB Yesterday---Value??

taltexan

Hunted for about 4 hrs. yesterday and over all had a good hunt. This is one of 5 wheat's and 3 silver dimes that came out of a park. Got home and started to clean the wheat's and noticed the date, then the mint mark and finally after a little water and toothbrush the VDB. The coin still has some dirt or oxidation but overall it looks fairly good. Any ideas to value of coin and would olive oil help loosen the remaining dirt? Thanks

Great find ! --- what ever you do - DO NOT CLEAN IT !!!

You can find the value on line - there are a few sites that have photo's of each grade of he coin - you just hold yours up to the screen and match the condition of your coin to the one in the photo.
Look it up in a current copy of the coin "Red Book" ( maybe at the library if you don't have one ) - or just put it in a plastic bag so it won't get scratched and take it to your local coin shop.

Good luck !

:clapping:Congrats that is a great find I'm still looking 4 a key date and I know if I keep looking it will come I have found a couple 1909s but no S and no VDB Someday I hope HH :cheers:

That sure looks like a $1000 penny to me. Have a dealer look at it to make sure the "s" was not added to a 1909 plain VDB. Here is a fair market value site but the grade will suffer somewhat from environmental damage but still a darned nice penny.

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

I would ABSOLUTELY send it to be slabbed and gradded. ANACS will grade dug coins, a lot of companies will NOT, so be sure to know before you pay to send it in. Having it graded will make it easy to sell if you decide to do so.

Thanks for the replies....There is still residue on the coin making it hard to see all the details but will not mess with it. Will try some coin dealers to see what grade they come up with......

http://www.pcgs.com/Photograde/#
Don't send it to NCS ( sister co to NGC ) For conservation as they will destroy it!!!! If anything soak it in distilled or RO water and rinse under tap, change water and repeat until sending it in. SWEET FIND!!!!

Super nice find.........:thumbup: As for grade and value......if it wasn't in dug condition, it might be a nice VF to maybe a low XF.........now it might be a FINE due to the environmental damage. My latest coin guide has a FINE listed for $1,000 bucks........then again that's for a no-problem coin!!!

Whatever.........super nice coin and a BIG CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawkeye Jim.

That's great! I dug one too this year at an old country schoolyard, had no idea what it was worth either until I looked it up. Way to go!l

Congrats on the awesome find!It's actually in really nice condition for being dug. I'd have it graded too. Good luck!

Crispy Critter

A HUGE Congratulations to ya! Awesome find! Thanks for the pictures.

NebTrac

Agree. Do not clean that coin. It is too far gone for NCS to bring it back, but PCGS, NGC and ANACS will authenticate it. The cost will run you around $50 including shipping. I've owned dozens of 1909-S VDBs over the past few years and a dug coin as this is most certainly authentic (I am a coin collector that specializes in US copper, half cents through Lincolns). Stated another way, a counterfeiter would never take the time to add a mintmark to a severely corroded coin as this one is.

I've also handled more than my share of counterfeits, as this date and type is probably the most counterfeited US coin ever minted. But most are very easy to tell real from fake. There are some very good die diagnostics that, for this coin, make the job easy. A stereomicroscope helps considerably.

I'd value the coin as in "Poor" condition due to the heavy corrosion. That's $400-450. Two similar coins sold in Heritage Auctions, one on January 9th 2010 for $431, another on December 5th 2010 for $403.

Nevertheless, a great find!

I am enjoying your pis immensely! I have a green dug set going and that coin would be a perfect fit. Larry was dead on in assigning it a numerical grade...by wear it would be a VF 35 to EF 40. That type of coin has desirability to someone in our community more than it would in mainstream numismatics. Assigning it a solid value is very subjective but my gut says 300.00 mainstream and 550.00 to a collector/detectorist. NCS would not even attempt a conservation on that particular coin as the color is the coin and not just on it.....but make no mistake....that coin requires NO apology! It is a "Green Beaut" !!! Big Congrats to you and very nice to see you left that coin alone!!!! NICE! If you were to compare it to other dug '09 S VDB's, that thing would be one of the nicest ones.