Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Fall Field Hunt Equation: 3 hrs + 2 coins = 1 IH and 1 MORGAN DOLLAR! :surprised:

NebTrac

I'd been itchin' to hunt all week. I told the wife that "I'd really like to go hunt sometime this afternoon." After church we came home and ate lunch. Then we did some measurements on where the basement floor is going to go for the new house. Things dragged on and it was almost dark. I told her, "I don't know when I'll be back, but I'm going to go swing."

Pulled into the field of what were soybeans this year. Soybeans are WAY easier to swing in than cornstalks anyday. This field is in 30" rows and is ditched for irrigation. So your swing and stance is more sideways and you use a Zig-Zag pattern. Along one row edge you Zig one way, then Zag back down the center and follow up with a Zig back down the row closest to your feet. This is what works well for me, but is harder on your arm and hips.

Using TTF the high tones are mainly shotgun headstamps, .22 short casings and bits of aluminum. I dig every non-ferrous high tone in these places. Finally I get another high tone that I play around with a while pinpointing it, on the last swing over the target I kind of remember 01-38. I used my trenching spade and dug a wide plug. Nothing in the plug, so I fired up the X-1 and it said it was in the side of the hole. By now its pitch dark with just the backlight on, I finally get the target out. Shake some dirt off and remember thinking. "Well, at least its round".

As I made my way back to the car, I kept thinking. If its a silver half, I hope its seated, as I've pulled 2 seated coins out of this field and have never found a seated half. Finally get to the car and all I had to wash anything off was a little Mountain Dew (the soda....not the other). Rinsed enough off and out peaked "Morgan's" version of lady Liberty. WOW!!!! In 5 years of hunting this is the second one I've found. After the 1878 I found back in 2000, I really never expected to unearth another. This one is an 1897 o mintmark. The coin was in the bottom of the ditch between the rows about 7 inches deep. I could've gouged as it was dark, but I feel most of the marks were from the tillage equipment. [attachment 301909 IMG_5379.jpg] [attachment 301910 IMG_5380.jpg]

This was over an area I'd been through a dozen times. The rest of the hunt went quickly and I did manage the '01 Indian. Thanks for looking and reading a long story.

:goodnight:

NebTrac

One thing about Neb, You made good use of the time you had. Congrats on the finds!!!

WOW....!!!!! I've only found one and it was also a '78 like yours in 2000........ Good hunt you had and glad you got out!

Simply astounding... :thumbup:

I've see one Morgan dug in my 30+ years of searching this planet... It was dug by my late Youngest Brother...
I can still see the twinkle in his eye when he presented it in the lot we were hunting...

Congrats on a Awesome find...

Robert

Good job !

That was a good day, and that IS a great coin! I liked the backstory of your hunt and day..:clapping:
Mud

WTGo on the BIG silver! ..and.. Thanks for the story and details.
I've yet to dig one of those big guys up yet.

NebTrac said:
This was over an area I'd been through a dozen times.

My experience too, happens all the time even with the same detector, coil, etc.
Just one reason i'm leary of stories that a new different brand detector found keepers the old detector missed.

Very nice Neb! I am patiently waiting on silver dollar dig :wiggle:

Nice job Neb! Who cares about all of those battle scars, you found a silver dollar, something on everyone's wish list! Congrats on finding it and thanks for the long story.

Thanks all. Terry, I feel confident you'll unearth one someday; hunting the fields the way you do. Field hunting is about my favorite type of hunting, I just wish there were more relics like you guys back in Ohio seem to find. What is astounding to me, is how something that big can go unnoticed at the time of the drop.

I suppose there could've been a foot of snow of the ground at the time, maybe old boardwalks there or deep mud....who knows. I wish that coin could talk.

NebTrac

Fantastic Find Nebtrac. an awesome find, Congrats on the Morgan.

Neb, congratulations on your SECOND HUGE silver.....wow.....

like you said probably dropped in the snow...or just dropped without realizing it, walked away, maybe came back to look for it and just couldn't find it....

that is a beautiful coin you found....