Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hate the Pin pointing with the Nox

Digger 45

i have tried so many things at pinpointing with the Nox and nothing works well, 35 years at this hobby with many detectors and none have been this bad at pinpointing, i have tried pulling the coil back, xing out the target and someone said that between the stickers and the label is where the target should be. At the beach i average 4 scoops before i find a 3" target. My coil seems to pickup targets at least 6" outside the coil.

I have never had a problem with the pinpointing of the EQX. Far better than the E-Trac or CTX.

One thing about this detector is that outer edge is VERY hot. If you have a shallow target, pick up your coil, engage the pinpoint and then begin your X-ing from several inches in the air.

I dont know what else you could try, like I said, I have had zero problems pinpointing.

6 inches outside the coil? Maybe lower the sensitivity before you pinpoint and see if that helps.

I haven't been out yet with my NOX but I have used that method with other detectors.

Tony

On double beepers {shallow targets} try raising your coil slowly as you X out the target, by doing this with a little practice you can narrow up the target location. Larry you might even start with a large coin on top of the ground. I personaly don't use the pinpoint function as the double D coil is like looking down a rifle scope. Hope this helps:thumbup: jmo
Laplander

Seems to be right on the tip for me....... pennies are the only thing that give me fits in the water.

I don't use pinpointing very often. 99% water hunting, fresh and salt. Field 1 or Beach 2
First off, I love the push on / push off function control for the pinpoint mode. No more holding a button down or having to turn a knob.
Just have to remember to turn it off. At times it is tricky to get the target signal off the center of the coil and not the edges.
When I can see the coil, it is right on.
If I don't get the target in the first scoop I turn 90 degrees and take a second scoop. If the second scoop fails, it is time to try pinpoint.

I don't PP that often, but the EQ is the sharpest PPer I ever used. CTX may be second and is VERY GOOD. I've had some iron and co-located targets move a little, but the 'nox is razor fine on both axis.

"You might be detecting some 'on-edge' coins? If Yes, then PP can be 'Off'...
......and some extra shallow items that can cause 'multiple beeps' and hard to distinguish just which 'beep' it is?

.....otherwise it's a great pin pointer...just like X-Terra..."

test your PP skills with a coin on the surface so you can see what's happening. Myself I dont have any issues with the PP
of the Nox

The only targets that don't pinpoint well are iron nails that still fool me. Like my other detectors I find them off center or in the side of the hole. I swear I think I'm on top of them but nada...I'm pulling them from the side of the hole.

I like the on off pinpoint as well. I began with a whites classic ID with an on/off toggle switch so it is nice to have a similar function. I also use the bar things on either side when they work which is most of the time. I agree with YTcinshooter on the iron nails on sides of the hole and have only had it happen once on a coin which was actually today on a deep indian head amidst lots of trash.

Pinpointing on my 600 seems pretty good to me, however with that said I liked my Whites Eagle SL better, it seemed to be quite accurate at pinpointing and I personally liked the toggle switch. I usually don't use the pinpoint function I just wiggle the coil back and forth while backing up and as soon as I lose the signal the target is lined up at the top center of the coil. However I will say when using the pinpoint button I have found you have to make sure when you activate it you are not over a target and you need a good deliberate solid press of the button, if you don't do this the sound is very low almost to the point you can't hear it. MetalMiner has a good idea for practice.

I think the bigger issue to me is WHERE DID THAT TARGET GO? I seem to loose a lot more targets that i know are in the hole with the Nox...... i assume they get sideways. Keep in mind im water hunting. At least PPing tells me its still there if i use it. Looking for a lost target is about the only time i turn PPing on.

PP feature on the Nox is great! Like a previous poster said, "the DD coil is like looking down a rifle scope"...you don't really need the PP feature. I rarely use it for PPing ...mostly use the PP feature for target sizing.

Dean

Hotrod65 said:
..... however with that said I liked my Whites Eagle SL better, it seemed to be quite accurate at pinpointing and I personally liked the toggle switch. .....

Different coil designs. When I switched from my White's 6000SL to the E-Trac, I had all kinds of trouble pinpointing until one day it just sort of "clicked" and I could pinpoint great. Although the DD is never quite a good (in pinpointing) as a concentric, just the nature of the beast. When a coin is several inches deep and flat, the DD is spot on. If its angled at all, it begins skewing the location some.

Digger...are you detuning as you pin point ??

Detecting a target several inches off the front of the coil sounds like an on edge target to me. I just ran some tests on an EQ800 and it was the on edge targets that produced oddball behaviors including detecting the target several inches off the front edge of the coil. Stick with me for a moment.

I was trying to configure the EQ800 so that it would give me the equivalent of LONG TONES for beach hunting. I was testing Recovery speed 1-3 to give me the widest possible detection area around the coil. What I found is the Equinox even at these lower recovery speeds which should be detecting a flat coin several inches from the outer edge of the coil, it seems in the software the machine is shrinking this back down to about the size of the coil. When the target is flat, I was seeing maybe 1-2 inches in front of the coil depending on depth.

THEN I TESTED ON EDGE TARGES - Incredibly if the coin was on edge it was being detecting like 6 inches in front of the coil which would make them more difficult to pinpoint. These on edge targets, a Barber dime for example that I was testing, on edge targets were pretty much invisible to previous detectors like the Explorer so its a net new target I'll have to figure out how to pinpoint.

Equinox on edge targets UNDER THE COIL also behaved pretty strange in a way that would make pinpointing more difficult. As you sweep the on edge target I saw either a Quad beep (Park/Field 1) or a Double beep (Park/Field 2). As I swept over a on edge coin in Park1 or Field 1 the quad beep signal was this, 50 tones, Recovery speed 3...High tone beep, Low tone Beep, SPACE High tone beep, Low tone beep in a single swing. The SPACE in the center was when the coin was directly under the center of the coil. It was really detecting the coin 2 inches left of the coil center and 2 inches right of the coil center with no tone in the center. I could see how this would make pin pointing difficult in that you would have to focus on that space in the middle as the true location of the target. In Park 2 and Field 2 the double beep response was High tone SPACE High tone. That's with the on edge coin straight in line with the coil front to back.

Rings vs Coins on edge - First the Equinox likes coins on edge with their flat surface better than rings on edge with the big hole in the center. It seems the larger the whole e.g. the larger the ring it hates those more than smaller rings on edge. I tested one silver ring on edge that is really wide, its like 1/2 inch wide on your finger but thin, about the thickness of a dime. So looking down on it laying flat there's not much metal surface because its so thin. Still the thing is 1/2 inch wide patch of silver from on edge. I expected the Equinox to smack that ring HARD. Incredibly it hated that ring, horrible signal on edge.

That leads me to believe the Equinox when detecting on edge coins or rings, it seems to be detecting not so much the small top edge of the coin or ring, there's some signal coming from that, but I think more signal is coming from the side vs the top. The 15 inch WOT coil had a real knack for hitting deeper silver dimes tipped at 45 degrees from the side. Instead of the coil field striking straight down onto the dime, the magnetic field seemed to be curved at that depth just the right amount to strike 45 degree tipped dimes from the side vs straight down. Which also made pin pointing those difficult because the signal was shooting off sideways from the coin. Tip your coil sideways vs flat and try to pinpoint right.

Summary - now that we have a machine that can detect targets on edge, just realize they will behave quite strangely when you sweep them. No different than when I encountered a coin at 45 degrees with an Explorer and that angle caused the coin to throw a signal off half sideways which made pinpointing the target difficult. Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.

On most DD coils with depth ..... target location tends to move inward on the coil a bit from the tip. So sounds like you are talking about shallower targets or near targets. The footprint of a DD isnt as cone shaped as the concentric..... but it does loose depth on the tips

dewcon4414 said:
On most DD coils with depth ..... target location tends to move inward on the coil a bit from the tip. So sounds like you are talking about shallower targets or near targets. The footprint of a DD isnt as cone shaped as the concentric..... but it does loose depth on the tips

True, except for on edge targets on the Equinox. Even a dime on edge 6 inches deep I was picking it up 5-6 inches off the front of the coil. Same dime turn it flat at 6 inches deep I had to move it back under the coil to detect it.