Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HUGE Silver came to light after 100 years :hot:

Ray-Mo.

I only had a few min to hunt on the way back from a 300 mile one way trip to pick up some tractor tires and stopped off at one of my and Dr.Bob's old favorite sites. Within 10 min I dug a 6" beaver tail and then got a slight silver hit one way with complete iron null the other directions. Decided to dig and about 11" down I flipped this out on the dirt pile as pictured and about fell over. After calming down I wondered what had caused such a bad signal and stuck my probe back in the hole to discover a large nail about 3" above and just to side of where the Big beauty had lain . When passing over the hole I only got a solid blanking null . After texting a few hunting buddies my time was up and I headed for home.
1890 cc cleaned up only with water .

PS. Sure made up for being told to leave a hammered cladless public park earlier in the day by young clueless city worker who claimed it had been off limits for years :pulltab:

Those are the types of finds that keep us going. And at eleven inches with the big nail.... no wonder she hadn't been found before! Nicely done! And congrats again on recovering that beautiful CC Morgan. HH Randy

It is impressive to hear the big coil could isolate the silver from the nail. So I'm guessing...........FE/Coin separation? HH Randy

That's a Beauty Ray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many Congrats.

Yes ferrous coin but I must say it was a rather iffy signal . I am sure several of us have walked over it in the pass and left it for a iron/nail false . Dr.Bob dug a 2 cent piece about 25 ft from it a few years back and we hammered the exact area many times. Also the soil was quite dry and I suspect that helped a bit...

The difference was that you were using a CTX3030 ;)

I dug a 1909 50 cent piece with a dime laying on it and about 8". The target only gave a high tone from 1 direction. The other directions were solid iron. After retrieving the coins I dug out a long curved piece of rusty barbed wire at 5" that had hidden that treasure for a LONG time.

Nice Ray! I believe thats two of 'em for ya now! A HUGE Congratulations and thanks for the story and the picture.

NebTrac

I sure wish I was with you to see you dig that monster coin up.

I know I had to personally walk over that coin at least a dozen times myself. What I'm finally learning after 2 years with the CTX is that iron falses are decreased so much more compared to the Explorer or Etrac. The old adage I was still hunting by where I would circle the target and if I couldn't get it at least 50% of the way around (especially if I got a null the rest of the way) I would usually leave it.

That doesn't work with the CTX. I'm finding if I can only get one little sweet spot dig it. 50% of the time it will be good. By not following that method with the CTX I have now know I have left a Morgan dollar in the ground and also a 1861 seated dime a couple weeks ago.

I'm just glad it was a great hunting partner like you Ray who was there to dig up my misses:clapping:

Great find! So, you heard a slight high pitch tone in one direction? I am curious what Target trace was telling you, like was there two target cursors for the iron and the coin? Recently I have been digging more and more trash trying to disseminate the target trace information the detector is providing, but so far all I have came up with is the usual square nails. CTTodd and I detected a somewhat trashy field yesterday recovering numerous Large Cents with iffy signals so this is a hot topic for me.

Awesome recovery Ray - and what a teaching moment that was! Congratulations!

Congratulations Ray, those will sure bring a smile to your face.........:biggrin:

GREAT FIND Ray, congrats!-----What kind of a mode (pattern) were you running?----That 17" coil is a keeper!----The first time I used it, my VERY first target was a deeeep I.H. in a park that has been "beat to death" by every body & his brother.----That's a coil for the CTX that just delivers the goods everytime I use it.-----Hasn't gotten me a great cartwheel like the one you just found yet though.:)---------Del

Great find Ray, nothing like pulling an old morgan outta the ground. And yours was a "CC" even better :) Did the same thing last Nov. while hunting a ghost town in Eastern Oregon. Most the time (MXT Pro) my dollar readings are VDI 94 and end up being old lids off face cream containers etc. this time got a dollar reading but was reading VDI 92/93 was a little different, but still I didn't get excited thinking it was going to be another lid or something. And like you once I realized what I had, I about fell over. Even though it is there and you're staring right at it, you're still in shock and disbelief LOL Never thought I would find a silver dollar, and so far has been the only one I ever found. Mine was a 1891 O Morgan. Sure would be nice to snag a "CC" Anyhow, great find and hope ya get some more.
HH
gregg

Congrats on your Morgan as well OregonGregg! And it's especially nice to hear you found it in Oregon, since that's where I'm located too! Nice to know there IS a chance however small, that I may one day find one as well, although I'm not counting on it. You know how hard silver coins of almost all denominations are to come by here in Oregon.

I've only been detecting for 2 weeks shy of 1 year at this point, so I've got plenty of dues to pay yet. Been wanting to break away from the Portland area and hunt some of the old Ghost towns of Eastern Oregon as well. HH!

Thanks McClod, lol i'm starting to believe you when ya say silver is getting harder to find in Oregon. That morgan was the last silver I found. This year so far, lots of old trade tokens, IH and wheats and V nickels but no silver yet.