Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"hunted out" 1860s schoolhouse yields to Etrac open screen

sunraysux

OK........so i have had many requests for pics....and more info on hunting open screen//etc
was at a wedding over this past weekend in New England and on my way to my friend's home, i saw this amazing idyllic Norman Rockwell looking 1860 one room school house in a reasonably populated area....certainly not remote by any means
the coin hound in me instantly went bat shiite and i about crashed the truck eye balling this picture perfect postcard site
...listen, this is about as obvious an MD site as you will find!!....Helen Keller and Stevie Wonder could see that this site is a dream MD site....which is exactly why i knew it was hunted to exhaustion....and it was
a guick loop around the moderately sized yard in AUTO+2/3 and COINS mode resulted in a few zinclets and some trash YUCK
screw this i thought.....and then it dawned on me that all the nit wits that had come before me actually did me a big favor!!!
they cleaned out all the top 5-6 inch targets and left the deeper goodies unmolested(at least i was hoping so!)
so i re-tuned//noise cancelled the Etrac and went total open screen....MAN sens at about 22/23
that was all the site would allow before the machine started to get chatty and a bit unstable
so of i went....boom....boom....boom
deep wheaties.....Indians.....Buffs...Vs
a 13 inch deep 1870s silver plated pocket watch
and 2 lovely silvers from the pictures
at 8 inches, an extra fine 1926 SLQ.........and at 7 inches, a 1/4 Panamanian Balboa from 1930
moral of the story....do not pass up ridiculously obvious sites because your instincts tell you that they are fried already
and don't curse those that hit spots before you did any longer....thank them!!

Way to go!!! That SLQ is nice... it sure was carried too long.. Congrats

Congrats on a couple of really nice coins.

Question time again,
Do you think you would have the same success with your E-Trac set TTC as you do using TTF?

Ron again in WV

...is TTC the 4 tone variety?
if so, the answer is a decided NO for me....
just a personal preference thing....too much noise and distraction for my tastes and ears!!

I am curious about those using TTC (two ton conductive) as well. With an open screen you would hear all the iron on the right side of the screen as a high tone...

Great finds btw SRS. Makes me wish I lived in the eastern us... Tim.

ron...i apologize
i thought you were referring to a 4 tone conductive
i have never used the 2 tone conductive...am going to an interesting locale today and will give it a spin....

Wow what beautiful coins Sunray thanks for sharing + not to mention you got to go to a wedding. Not a bad weekend at all!

SRS,

Not sure if all the archives are still available, but we debated all of this until the cows came home years ago. The original XS didn't give any indication of what the sensitivity was in Auto mode, but it also did not have all the ferrous values stuffed on the 12 line, so you got a lot more useful information. Basically you needed to be in ferrous so all the iron was a low grunt, bottle caps discriminated out in the lower right hand corner, and sensitivity in manual until it started getting chattery.

If you can look back to the early 2000s Explorer forum you would be amazed by all the coin finds, it was like the results you experienced at the school house but EVERYWHERE. Most sites now have been hit with explorers and finds are fewer.

Chris

sunraysux said:
ron...i apologize
i thought you were referring to a 4 tone conductive
i have never used the 2 tone conductive...am going to an interesting locale today and will give it a spin....

Keep us posted!

just back....NOoooooo more TTC for me
it took all of 5 minutes to make that decision!! lol
didn't like it one bit....just me though
personal preference

sunraysux said:
just back....NOoooooo more TTC for me
it took all of 5 minutes to make that decision!! lol
didn't like it one bit....just me though
personal preference

No problem, at least you tried it!

NIce finds! I really like the Panama! Are you using ferrous or conductive audio in an open screen?

sunraysux,

I done a little testing this evening with conductivity, Ferrous and tones with the open screen. So I started off in conductivity and of course the coins responded as I expected the bigger the coin the higher the tone in multi tone. Then the big surprise I put a nail in front of the coil, wow 100% high tone. No wonder you have to disc all the iron out. Same for the other tones iron was 100% high tone.

Now for Ferrous and I started with 2 tones, coins were all the same somewhat high tone and the nail was low as I expected. Now for the Ferrous side surprise. I changed the tones to 4 expecting the coins to go from 2 to 4 tones, they didn't all coins came in at the same high tone. But it was a little higher than with 2 tones. So I was still only hearing 2 tones, low for iron and high for coins.

When I went to Multi I thought the whole rock band would kick in, but it didn't I was still only hearing 2 tones, low for iron and the same high tone for all coins.

I didn't try single tone.

Ron in WV