Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting virgin 1940's yards. What a blast!

cz70pro

My hunting partner and I decided we would do some door knocking on Sunday. I took him to a neighborhood that lies right in the path of a running cavalry battle during the Civil War and also has a pre Civil War house in the neighborhood. As we were driving we saw a few guys cutting down a tree next to a very small 1940's house. Got out of the car, found the owner and asked him if we could metal detect around the yard. He immediately said yes and then went on to tell me he owned a total of seven houses and two empty lots on that street and we could have the run of them as well. I felt like I had hit the jackpot. We started hunting two houses that were side by side and built in 1941. These homes had very small yards but they were chock full of targets! As we hunted the first yard the owner went down the street to tell his renters that we would be hunting their yards. He also talked to his next door neighbor who has about an acre behind his house just across the street from the pre Civil War house and got us permission to hunt there as well! Super nice guy.

So far, we have hunted two yards and a bit of the empty lots and as you can see the results have been awesome. The finds pictured below are just the finds I made! Among my favorite finds are the 1903-1953 Buick 50th anniversary key fob and the custom made silver ring with the tiger stone in the center. Don't be fooled by the small size of the 1940's GI Bill homes or their small postage stamp yards. They are producers! While hunting one yard a lady living next door invited us over to hunt her yard as well. We're going to be in that neighborhood for a while.

The last two pictures show all of my finds including the ones from the Saturday sidewalk hunt last weekend. It was an awesome weekend.

HH,
Greg

CAgem said:
Sounds like a really terrific hunt. I have yet to get up the courage to knock on doors. :thumbup:

Thanks. I can definitely understand that. I definitely prefer to try and catch them when they are outside rather than disturbing them in their home. I just got another permission at a 1930's farmhouse close to my house when I saw him outside working on the property. I've also had luck with vacant houses for sale and getting permissions by contacting the realtor. I once pulled 23 silver coins and countless other finds out of a yard by doing that a couple years ago.The rewards are pretty amazing as many yards are still untouched.

When you're hot you're hot and that's my preferred hunting grounds too ... empty old houses and vacant city lots is a hit or a miss but the hit can be awesome ... congratulations !

That is amazing Greg! Congrats on what looks like the tip of the iceberg for great finds. Please keep us posted how the rest of it goes.

1hotwire said:
When you're hot you're hot and that's my preferred hunting grounds too ... empty old houses and vacant city lots is a hit or a miss but the hit can be awesome ... congratulations !

Thanks hotwire. Love these type of sites. I'll hunt just about anywhere I am able to sink a digger into the dirt. LOL

utmike said:
That is amazing Greg! Congrats on what looks like the tip of the iceberg for great finds. Please keep us posted how the rest of it goes.

Thanks Mike. We are heading back out there Sunday so hopefully we will find more.

Great haul Greg! Every time I get back to Tennessee I make it a point to hunt several post-war neighborhoods and am almost never disappointed! Keep up the good work! :clapping:

CZconnoisseur said:
Great haul Greg! Every time I get back to Tennessee I make it a point to hunt several post-war neighborhoods and am almost never disappointed! Keep up the good work! :clapping:

Thanks a lot CZ. Yep, they are always loaded with silver and interesting finds.

floodplaindetector said:
Great hunts Greg! Well done.
looks like a fun time pulling all that variety.

Dave

Thanks Dave! It was a lot of fun not knowing what the next hole would bring.

Greg

You're killing the finds man. Seems you are having a great year so far. I haven't been out any this year due to other responsibilities. Hope to get out soon and find a coin or two.

Delta Digger said:
You're killing the finds man. Seems you are having a great year so far. I haven't been out any this year due to other responsibilities. Hope to get out soon and find a coin or two.

Thanks Delta. I've been having a pretty good year so far. Hope you find the big one this year.

Greg

Delta Digger said:

Thanks Delta. I've been having a pretty good year so far. Hope you make some awesome finds this year.

Greg

That is totally awesome so glad you guys have the opportunity. In terms of small yards I got to hunt my cousin in-laws place in Central New York and it was loaded with awesome signals and I don't think anybody at hunted there before or if they had had given up with all the iron and Coke in the yard.

Foreverteachable said:
That is totally awesome so glad you guys have the opportunity. In terms of small yards I got to hunt my cousin in-laws place in Central New York and it was loaded with awesome signals and I don't think anybody at hunted there before or if they had had given up with all the iron and Coke in the yard.

Thanks Forever. Yep, yards and sidewalks are excellent places to hunt. The Sunray X-5 coil is an awesome coil to have for the E-Trac when hunting the iron or trash infested areas.

Way to clean up on the silver Greg! I call those 40's era homes "sleepers" lots of folks overlook them because they just don't have that same appeal as the Victorian or older homes. When I'm itching to pull some silver that's the type of places I go to. Sounds like you'll have plenty of area to cover over the next little bit. Good luck to ya!

Sooper Dave said:
Way to clean up on the silver Greg! I call those 40's era homes "sleepers" lots of folks overlook them because they just don't have that same appeal as the Victorian or older homes. When I'm itching to pull some silver that's the type of places I go to. Sounds like you'll have plenty of area to cover over the next little bit. Good luck to ya!

Thanks Dave. I have always felt the same way about them. I have no aversions to digging SLQ's, Mercs and Walkers. :) I ended up with a 13 silver month just from three trips to yards and sidewalks.

Congrats on the killer finds - the Buick Fob is very cool !