Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Knives

Kydex is thermo form plastic type material. It's used alot in your duty carry pistol holsters, knife sheaths. You can form it around objects & it holds that shape once cooled. Plus its protective barrier between you & the knife in case of a fall or such.
It's also noisy, which is one reason that I personally hate it.

This looks like a good one for the money.

These Guys Gave It Stars And Stripes.... It even Appears to be a little cheaper now... The only downside I recall about this one was the hole position at the base of the horn... Some of the reviewers were grinding the ledge on the top plate because it was in the way... The same company makes the Doyle anvil for Harbor Freight... That one has the round hole to the tail... It all looks good to me..

Last edited:
These Guys Gave It Stars And Stripes.... It even Appears to be a little cheaper now... The only downside I recall about this one was the hole position at the base of the horn... Some of the reviewers were grinding the ledge on the top plate because it was in the way... The same company makes the Doyle anvil for Harbor Freight... That one has the round hole to the tail... It all looks good to me..

$230 buks. Looking good to me.

For a hobbyist that just wants something for heating and beating on, it's probably just fine.
For what I do, I wouldn't give it a second glance. My Hay-Budden and Trenton anvils are much better suited to my work.
I have a Mankel anvil, but it's more a nostalgic thing for me and I never use it anymore. It belonged to the man who taught me how to shoe horses (Bob Reaume) who is also a legend in his own right.

As a side note; Ken Mankel is a good friend of mine. I've known Kenny and his son Mike for over 30 years and have been to his shop more times than I can remember.

Dang how did I miss this ??????

I have a custom ordered Randall Alaskan from 35 years ago. Still my go to from everything deer and elk moose related.

Question here…..
Recently recovered the broken ends of logging cables. Its twisted strands (probably) one inch diameter total thickness cable. Each piece recovered is close to 15’ long, it was used on a highliner to cable logs up the slopes.
Is the metal here good to forge down and salvage for knife making? Or should I just turn in to recycle?

I have a custom ordered Randall Alaskan from 35 years ago. Still my go to from everything deer and elk moose related.

Question here…..
Recently recovered the broken ends of logging cables. Its twisted strands (probably) one inch diameter total thickness cable. Each piece recovered is close to 15’ long, it was used on a highliner to cable logs up the slopes.
Is the metal here good to forge down and salvage for knife making? Or should I just turn in to recycle?
Yes cable Damascus knives are beautiful!!! Yes the cable will make nice knives. Just make sure to weld your ends together b4 forging.

Question here…..
As said, cable damascus can be really sweet, but the two most important things about making the billet are getting the cable clean enough and having a fire hot enough to forge weld in.

Old chainsaw chains and motorcycle chains make some nice patterns, too.

Im not a knife maker….. primarily wondering if the cable is worth more to a knife guy than simple weight at metal recycling.

Unless we are fairly close to each other I cant even see how to mail it. We rolled both into about 4’ rolls and no idea the weight. They are fairly rusty looking as they were exposed to the elements for a period of time and I dont know if that detracts from it or doesnt make a difference.
If anyone is within the Pacific Northwest I could always meet up somewhere in between if anyone is interested….

Unless we are fairly close to each other I cant even see how to mail it. We rolled both into about 4’ rolls and no idea the weight. They are fairly rusty looking as they were exposed to the elements for a period of time and I dont know if that detracts from it or doesnt make a difference.
If anyone is within the Pacific Northwest I could always meet up somewhere in between if anyone is interested….
Dirt and rust cause imperfections that result in cracked blades. It would need to be cleaned off with muriatic acid and some sort of boil-out/degreaser before any other work with it could begin.

The best damascus has 512 folds for optimum strength. That's a lot of work if you don't have a power-hammer.

Would I be better off to sell/donate as is so that the artist can clean to his/her specifications?

Dirt and rust cause imperfections that result in cracked blades. It would need to be cleaned off with muriatic acid and some sort of boil-out/degreaser before any other work with it could begin.

The best damascus has 512 folds for optimum strength. That's a lot of work if you don't have a power-hammer.
I was going to suggest the Muratic acid myself.
I'm in the process of cleaning out an old B&S 5 hp motors gas tank .