Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New V3i 18650 battery holder. What U think?

Another round is on ebay for those who are interested.

Anybody who got one of the first ones have a report on the actual "order-to-delivery" time? Was it quicker than expected?

when he sent my Minelab battery holder I got it in 10 days.

He is selling them like hot cakes. 5900xl1 let me know what U think. My holder for my minelab only needs charged every other month. Love it.

My batteries to be used in the V3i will be the protected type.This question logically applies to any manufacturer though.

What battery type can be set in the configuration menu? The cells themselves being independently protected makes me wonder if I can set the machine to Alkaline and possibly get the max longevity from the Lithiums. Maybe it makes little difference and NIMH is as logocal.

What selection did you make Sheldon?

Tia.

Just ordered one of these for my V3i, and can't wait to get it. I like that the new version on eBay is orange, so it's immediately recognized as the "special" pack!

I am glad this battery pack is working out. I talked him into making it. I do not have a V3i anymore but knew it would be greatly received.

Can anybody report how long this battery pack is lasting? Compared to stock one and NICADS?

I recieved my pack, charged my 3.7v/3000MAH(Protected) batteies and used them until the V3i shut down. The protection circited batt with a cutoff threshold around 2.8-2.4 per cell gave me right at 10 hours. I'm not quite sure that V3i was stable duing the last period before shutdown. I will watch that next time and possibly decide to pull the pack within the 9V range.

The lower weight was noticable. Runtime ok yet not stellar. I may get some 3400MAH batteries in time, but in reality, 10 hours will logically cover me for two hunts. Next dischage cycle in the field will be some better though as I ran off of the speaker at times showing kids the hobbyng plus when comparing signals with a friend.

I am pleased with the pack. Worth the purchace for my needs.

what kind of batteries did U get and what charger did U use? Seems a little short on time. My 3 18650s power my E-trac well over 20 hours. Normaally 6 hours on the standard battery.

, New member here and Long Time User of Lipo Batteries.

I purchased on of these and delivery time was about 12 days to Wyoming. Fits perfect. For those wondering how long the battery should last and a V3i. It is easily calculated. With Three Freq Mode and back light at full brightness the V draws approximately 200 MA per hour. Take battery capacity and divide by current draw (3400 / 200 = 17) So approximately 17 hours hunt time. you can extend time by reducing back light brightness. Turning back light down to about 5 saves approximately 30ma per hour so 3400 / 170 = 20 hours. Below is the current requirements for the V3i in milli amp per hour. Using the table below with the Deep silver program, and TX boost on and back light at full brightness the 3400 ms batteries would last a little over 9 1/2 hours. The calculation for battery lasting times will work for any battery type if the Milliamp capacity is known.

3 Frequency transmit - Backlight-20 200 ma
2.5 kHz Only TX BackLight-20 250 ma
7.5 kHz Only TX BackLight-20 180 ma
22.5 kHz Only TX BackLight-20 170 ma

3 Frequency TX bk20 (TX Boost ON) 290 ma
2.5 kHz Only TX bk20 (TX Boost ON) 360 ma
7.5 kHz Only TX bk20 (TX Boost ON) 240 ma
22.5 kHz Only TX bk20 (TX Boost ON) 180 ma

In my opinion....Beware of Battery Specs. I recommend batteries from Sanyo, Sony or Panasonic only. These are the 3 biggest suppliers of quality Japanese batteries. And make sure you google "Battery Review Tests" if you are considering any other brand. Some of the other brands are perfectly ok because they are relabeled batteries from one of the Big Three above. There are however many sellers of supposed "Big Three Batteries" that are relabeled Cheap Dangerous Chinese Knock-offs. Purchase from a respectful dealer only. The largest 18650 battery made is 3400 ma capacity. You'll see 18650 batteries claiming 5000 ma. This is a total lie, and false advertising. And in my experience and reading reviews. Stay away from any battery with the word Fire in the brand. Such as Trustfire, Truefire, Ect... I've never read a positive review from these brands of batteries and some are dangerous. I also recommend using a quality Smart charge. IntelliCharger and Xtar are two of the top brands and models are available to charge up to four batteries at a time.

Do me a favor, do the calculation for my setup.

3000MAH cells. PROTECTED CIRCUIT
Backlight at 1.
Tx Boost off
3-Freq
Coin and Jewelry Prog
*intermittent use without headphones

I do launch Deep Silver on the fly also.

My math skills ain't good

5900_XL-1 said:

Backlight at 1.
Tx Boost off
3-Freq
Coin and Jewelry Prog

You should also get approximately 20 hours hunt time. You could extent that even more with a pair of headphones. From the current table of ma draws for various configurations, Your V would draw 150ma in 3 freq mode 3000 / 150 = 20

I always use headphones.

What about the potection circuit with a cutoff voltage of 2.8v-2.4v? That has my machine quit in the 8V range whereas my factory packs will run down to 5 volts before shutdown. I could see getting 20 hours, maybe more if the cutoff for the lithiums allowed for those lost volts between 8 volts and 5 volts but the lithiums would likely be damaged without the protection.

I'd like to hear from real life users where their V3i shuts down in actual voltage readings. That will be the true data IMO. I'm currently at 10.35v with 11 hours on my second run so far. I believe it will drop very quickly from here on. I was also forced to run an hour without HPs that'll put a dent in longevity to some degree.

WyoTrex said:
5900_XL-1 said:

Backlight at 1.
Tx Boost off
3-Freq
Coin and Jewelry Prog

You should also get approximately 20 hours hunt time. You could extent that even more with a pair of headphones. From the current table of ma draws for various configurations, Your V would draw 150ma in 3 freq mode 3000 / 150 = 20

I would think if your voltage would drop below 8 just replace one battery (if U have an extra) and it should allow U to keep hunting for the rest of the day.

At 3.3 volts per cell a Lipo battery is considered 99.9-100% discharged and ready for recharging. I just monitor the battery voltage on the status line of the V3i and once it's near 10.5-10.75 Volts I know it ready for a recharge. The amount of additional run-time a person would get between 10.5 volts from this battery pack and 9.9 volts would probably be measured in minutes anyhow. In the Lipos I've used maybe 20-30 minutes sometimes a little more sometimes less. Get into the habit of recharging a set every week and a set of 3000ma batteries would last me a week worth of nearly daily 2-3 hour hunts. Lipo batteries should be used as a Set of 3 in this holder. What this means if you have 6 batteries label 3 of them Set A and the other 3 Set B. Always use the batteries in this holder as a set and do not mix using Set A and Set B at the same time in the holder if you want to maximize battery life. It's also a good idea not allow the battery set to discharged to the protection cutoff if you want maximum charge cycle life. The recommendation about to just change out one battery should not be done. There is a lot of information on Lipo batteries, Their potential hazards, Do's and Don'ts, and Benefits to be found on the internet. If you plan on using this battery holder, I suggest you read up on LiPo safety and proper use. Failing to follow such guidelines could be hazardous to you and/or your detector.

All batteries have a expected number of charge/discharge life before capacity decreases exponentially . With quality Lipos this number is around 500 cycles. In my case where I'm recharging a set weekly.. 500 Cycles divided by 26 weekly chargings if I used year around in theory should give me approximately 19 years expected life per set.