Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No wall adapter included....

If you have a CTX, the charger base has the USB connection to charge the wireless module. I check the rating on it but don't see why you couldn't use it to charge this machine, usb has a standard voltage, the current is the limiting factor.

The voltage part of the charger is the critical rating, don't go above the 5V. The higher the current the better the charger (usually a higher cost) but the product itself limits the amount of current it takes in, but too high a voltage will blow something out.

So if you have a CTX you most likely will not need another charger

how ridiculous they dont include one, i mean if its so particular on voltages and amperage, why risk the consumer damaging their $800-900 detector

GlenOK said:
If a wall charger thats not
a Minelab brand should damage the detector , would Minelab still warranty it?

No, they state in their manual they will not honor the warranty if your wall charger damages the detector.

NCtoad said:
Any USB-wall Iphone/Ipad charger will work.

Dean
No, I urge you to look at page 62 in the user's manual. https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/326548/4901-0249-1%20Inst.%20Manual,%20EQUINOX%20600%20800%20EN.pdf
Here's the warning:
"DO NOT USE a mid-capacity USB charger.
For example, using a reputable and certified
USB charger (e.g. Apple™ or Samsung™), rated at
1A @ +5V, the USB charger will typically engage its thermal
protection safety function and automatically shut-down - the
detector may NOT charge fully.
A non-certified and sub-standard USB charger, rated at 1A @
+5V may NOT have a safety function and could overheat and
potentially fail completely"

That is correct. So, where does one get a certified wall charger for the Equinox?

Tony N (Michigan) said:
So, where does one get a certified wall charger for the Equinox?

Any place that sells cell phones, like Bust Buy or your local AT&T..

I must have 10 of these chargers sitting around from all the phones I have bought for me and the family over the years...
Just make sure you buy a quality one that is from Appple, Samsung or other high quality phone manufacturer..
Stay away from the cheapo knock off brands.

This is in the Equinox manual:

"In no event shall Minelab Electronics Pty Ltd (Minelab) or any of its related entities be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential damages or loss, to property or life, whatsoever arising out of or connected with the charging of a Minelab EQUINOX unit with a charging accessory that does meet relevant CE, C-Tick, EAC, UL/ETL or other in-country compliance regulations, or is not of the quality and certified standard as described in this recommendation."

I wonder if this wall charger is okay to use?

Samsung wall charger

It is a 5v 2amp charger.
I don't know if Minelab would rather have the charger be a 1 amp or 1.5 amp charger?

The Equinox manual states this on chargers:

"1. High Quality 2A Chargers
Charge the EQUINOX battery with a USB charger
that has a minimum capacity of 2A @ +5V (e.g. Apple™ or Samsung™).
This will result in a full charge time of less than 4 hours."

Tony N (Michigan) said:
I wonder if this wall charger is okay to use?

Samsung wall charger

It is a 5v 2amp charger.
I don't know if Minelab would rather have the charger be a 1 amp or 1.5 amp charger?

The Equinox manual states this on chargers:

"1. High Quality 2A Chargers
Charge the EQUINOX battery with a USB charger
that has a minimum capacity of 2A @ +5V (e.g. Apple™ or Samsung™).
This will result in a full charge time of less than 4 hours."

I just bought a 2-pack of the Samsung 5V2A power adapters from Amazon, (and they seem to specifically list this brand) so it better be alright.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
Any USB-wall Iphone/Ipad charger will work.

Dean
No, I urge you to look at page 62 in the user's manual. https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/326548/4901-0249-1%20Inst.%20Manual,%20EQUINOX%20600%20800%20EN.pdf
Here's the warning:
"DO NOT USE a mid-capacity USB charger.
For example, using a reputable and certified
USB charger (e.g. Apple™ or Samsung™), rated at
1A @ +5V, the USB charger will typically engage its thermal
protection safety function and automatically shut-down - the
detector may NOT charge fully.
A non-certified and sub-standard USB charger, rated at 1A @
+5V may NOT have a safety function and could overheat and
potentially fail completely"

That is correct. So, where does one get a certified wall charger for the Equinox?
The charger you and I listed is UL certified and that's what Minelab's looking for...a UL/ETL certification. Here's a link to that certification...UL is the same as ETL. http://info.triadmagnetics.com/blog/ul-certification-vs.-etl-certification

I guess I should have been more specific. An Apple (tm) iPhone/iPad charger. Who doesn't already have like five of these things laying around their house/car? I'm guessing that ML didn't include them because they are an incredibly common household item (?).

Does the warranty cover loss if it is charging on the USB port of your computer?

So, as Tony pointed out, the warranty doesn't cover loss due to the wall charger...does that include an "approved" charger as well?

Dean

Considering that minelab is offering for sale, a universal 4-way AC adapter, there is ZERO reason why it isn't included with the detector, just like every other detector ML sells

Jason in Enid said:
Considering that minelab is offering for sale, a universal 4-way AC adapter, there is ZERO reason why it isn't included with the detector, just like every other detector ML sells

Jason,
Do you believe that it is included then? Thanks!

Dean

dbado1 said:

Jason,
Do you believe that it is included then? Thanks!

Dean

It looks like, according to the manual, only the USP connector that attaches to the back of the detector to your computer is included.

Thanks, Tony.
I'm wondering if they mistakenly left it out of the manual but is actually included? I'm with Jason, it would make zero sense for ML not to include it. We will see shortly.

Dean

Tony,

I think this charger will be OK as it is a 2 amp charger and think a 1 amp would overheat, not sure on a 1.5 amp charger as I believe Minelab recommends a 2 amp charger from what I see.

Rick

bigelow said:
geez thats pretty pathetic for $800 cant throw in a charger? disappointing

They are trying to keep the cost of manufacture down, which in turn keeps the cost to the consumer down. Minelab is an Australian company and thus their outlets are different than those used in other parts the world. Instead of making a bunch of adapters for all the different regions, they just switched to USB, which is quickly becoming a standard way of charging electronics. This isn't surprising at all.

I am surprised at the time difference. 4 hours wall vs 18 hours usb???