Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

No wall adapter included....

I think if you are using the USB off your computer it always takes longer to charge. The amp is what makes the difference charging off the USB on the computer.

NCtoad said:
The charger you and I listed is UL certified and that's what Minelab's looking for...a UL/ETL certification. Here's a link to that certification...UL is the same as ETL. http://info.triadmagnetics.com/blog/ul-certification-vs.-etl-certification

I am not sure what "range" of amps are acceptable; my understanding is that the higher the amperage, the faster the charge, but you don't want it TOO high, as charging too fast can damage a battery. That was always my understanding, though I could be wrong.

BUT -- I do think Minelab talking about "won't warranty" if you don't use a quality charger, revolves around what NCtoad said -- you need to be using one that is UL/ETL certified.

Steve

I just saw on another Equinox forum that they don't see what the big deal is since any old charger is going to work... The gist of it is whatever charger you can find plug it in and you're good to go! I think they haven't read the manual completely. They may end up frying their machines and wonder why Minelab isn't going to cover the repair or end up sitting waiting for it to charge for 12 hours.

Anybody look at the Minelab accessories? Their wall charger has 4 usb ports one for the detector one for the wireless module one for the blue tooth headphones etc.. plus it has the adaptors to travel the world or at least the countries I want to detect in lol
Just a thought.
HH
Jeff

I'd gladly buy the Minelab one, but I'm afraid to see the price on it. I expect $40 to $50. I'm afraid to see the price on the coils, too!

I expect that for such an affordable machine, accessory prices are going to be insane, to make up for it!

Hope I'm wrong...

Steve

Yes, but is that available now, or is that a new Equinox accessory that isn't available yet? Obviously the lack of a wall charger caught a lot of folks off guard and now they want to protect their machine by using the right one. Minelab probably would have sold a whole bunch of chargers if everyone had known it wasn't included in the box. Like I originally said, it is no big deal but it was a surprise to hear it wasn't included.

Obviously voltage has to be 5 VDC.
Current rating ( amps ) is the max current the supply CAN safely deliver.
Lower amp rating will charge slower. Higher CAN damage things IF there is a defect. I would bet ML put
a shut down circuit in to prevent either too much voltage applied or too much current being drawn. Its easy & been in TV's
since the 1970's.

There is a lot of CYA in the manuals & warranties. As far as the "wrong" charger goes unless you tell them they
can not tell. The warranty station I assume is an independent business. They do the repairs then do the paper work to get
paid for parts & labor from ML. You do not rock the boat unless its obvious abuse or you think its a set up.

HH
Tom in N.H.
LFOD !

49 posts about wall adapters? Really?

50^ and 51 --->> I think 5v 2amp will be sufficient it shows similar in manual, Im going to use it since much faster charge... they sure made a simple thing difficult... XP included a multiple prong lead so you can charge all 3 at same time and its not too long, no overcharging or damage fears

It will be interesting to see if Minelab really tested many of the chargers out there. Some try and negotiate and only put out low mA if they don’t sync right with the product.
The CTX charger has me baffled. The detector battery charges super fast but the WM10 can take a day. Insufficient adapter and the lights will signal a problem.

From the Instructions manual. Says a 'standard powered USB-A port. Also says '>1.7A @ 5V', so the Iphone and Ipad at 1.5 A or greater, up to about 2.2A should not harm it! Which seems to say the ideal charger is the Ipad charger at 2.1 A and 5 V.

1. Plug the supplied charging cable into any standard powered
USB-A port.
2. Connect the magnetic connector to the charging interface on
the rear of the EQUINOX control unit.
The green charge status LED on the top left of the control
panel will flash slowly.
3. When the battery is fully charged, the charge status LED will
remain on.
Charge Status LED
Charging (flashing)
Fully charged (on)
The charge time from completely flat to 100% is approximately 4
hours when a high capacity (>1.7A @ 5V) charger is used. Car and
wall charging accessories are available for separate purchase.
Any standard USB port compatible with USB battery charging 1.2
(BC1.2) can be used to charge your battery, however charge times
may be longer if using lower-power options.
If the detector is turned on during charging, the charge time will

States in the manual that the wall charger is available separately which means get out your wallet and pay for it.

Actually, why in the world do I NEED another phone charger or standard USB charger? I have got quite a few of them in drawer, etc.. Thanks Minelab for saving me a bit of money.

jas415 said:
Actually, why in the world do I NEED another phone charger or standard USB charger? I have got quite a few of them in drawer, etc.. Thanks Minelab for saving me a bit of money.

Exactly! I'm sure that's what ML figured as well.

Dean

dbado1 said:

Dean

Same way with all the updates! I dont have time to do all that re-learning! And this helps to 'clean' out one more wall charger! ML was really doing us all a big favor! Holding down the updates so we can go hunt all the time, and helping us environmentally with less wall chargers! You have to admit ML was really doing their bit on 'climate change' and the environment! :rolleyes:

Come on man, I am trying to brown-nose my way up the waiting list. Help a fellow detectorist out!

jas415 said:

Dean

Same way with all the updates! I dont have time to do all that re-learning! And this helps to 'clean' out one more wall charger! ML was really doing us all a big favor! Holding down the updates so we can go hunt all the time, and helping us environmentally with less wall chargers! You have to admit ML was really doing their bit on 'climate change' and the environment! :rolleyes:

Come on man, I am trying to brown-nose my way up the waiting list. Help a fellow detectorist out!

I'm glad they included the search coil. I mean, we all have tons of search coils. :)

jas415 said:

Dean

Ha! I vote you get moved up a couple of spots!

Dean

Tony N (Michigan) said:

Dean

I'm glad they included the search coil. I mean, we all have tons of search coils. :)

I'm hoping my collection of GPX search coils are gonna fit:blowup:! Steve H followed up on this question and stated that he used various USB chargers with no issues during his testing. As usual, Steve comes through with relevant, helpful information.

Unless you are stuck in the flip phone age, you probably have a few laying around in your " junk" drawer. I did a casual search last evening and found six of the Apple chargers that ML recommends and two non Apple chargers that are compatible. That does not include the USB ports on my computer's or the ones that plug in to the accessories port that are in my vehicles. So, they are very common. Hell, you can buy them at the corner mini-mart. I know, I know..." If they are so common why didn't ML include them...Blah, blah, blah"! Whatever. I hope they include a bologna sandwich for when I get hungry out in the field :spin:

Dean

If Steve's forum is where you have to go to find real, relevant information then don't waste your time coming over here. It's fortunate that that forum does have someone that can speak about his experiences with the Equinox including the wall adapters which by the way is highlighted as a hot Topic on that forum also.
I am glad I had originally posted this. Hopefully it will save at least a couple guys from realizing after they open the box that they have to go get a magnifying glass to find a relevant approved charger if they care to make sure they're treating their new machine right.