Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

OK, just one last signal before I go home skunked.....

cz70pro

Got out briefly last Friday for just a little over an hour. I decided to go to a very pounded park to try and get some deep signals. Was running open screen, 24 ferrous line and manual sensitivity set at 24. After digging a few of the usual deep falsing nails, I hit upon a repeatable 12-30 to 12-31 signal and it was showing deep on the screen. The signal was about medium in the volume department as I was running Deep Off, so just out of curiosity I switched over to Auto +3 which was running at 20 to see if I could hit it. I could just manage a blip after trying it from several angles but I know I would not have dug it. Switched back over to Manual 24 and it was hitting on it with no problem even after raising the coil a couple inches off the ground so I went ahead and dug a plug. After getting down to a measured 9 inches, I could see that I had a nice green 1907 IHP in the hole. I was very impressed with the E-trac hitting on that deep IHP. I hunted a while longer but other than the usual coins found nothing else of significance. I was happy enough with the IHP though.

Saturday, I had plans with my friend to go and try out a new permission that covered 8 acres and was the site of a Civil War artillery camp. I'd been trying to get hold of the owner for a very long time so I was pretty excited when I finally got the permission. We had high hopes as we got our equipment out, me with my E-Trac and he had his newly acquired Nokta Impact along. As soon as we headed into the woods our enthusiasm quickly waned as the entire area had younger trees and the ground had been moved all about for a past development that never came to fruition. On top of that, we were going to have to imitate Lil' Brer Rabbit as almost the entire woods was thick with blackberry and briar bushes. It was seriously rough going and I was ruefully thinking about what I would not do just to find a bullet. Two hours later all we had to show for our efforts was a period shot gun casing that I found afterwards OUTSIDE the woods. LOL

Time to go to the backup plan. A lot in town where there used to be a turn of the century house. Things began with promise as my friend immediately dug up a 1920 Wheatie. After that, nothing, zip and nada. An unbelievable amount of trash, EMI, bad ground and not many good targets.

Now it was time to go to our back up to our back up plan (and our last one I might add). A site we had hit before with some success, a Confederate artillery camp across town on a hill opposite from the Union camp we had just hunted to no avail. For the next few hours, I walked that whole hill, top to bottom and side to side, running an open screen, TTF and manual 26. I did find some small lead and a couple fired pistol balls but not much else. I was taking a break against a tree when I noticed the town water reservoir sitting on top of the hill. I had actually never hunted on the other side of that reservoir before so I began the trek up to it. One of the reasons I had never hunted it was because it was strewn with garbage. It is a pretty secluded location with one road going up to it and close to an old college which meant one thing in this small Tennessee town, Party Central. Seems they began partying up there way back in the 50-60's as I found one antique beer can lid after another which always rang up 12-45 and 12-46. They sound beautiful and they are a ton of fun when you dig down 11 inches for them too. Happy days!

It was around 5PM and just starting to get dark as I started to head out and find my hunting partner. I hadn't found anything good all day long. My phone hadn't rung either so I figured he was having similar success; he was. As I walked through the woods, I wished for one last good signal before having to go home skunked. You know the drill, "One last good signal, then I'm done". Right on cue, I get a beautiful 12-46 (not as beautiful as it could have been since I was still in TTF) and thought what the heck, let's clean out that last beer can lid. Dug down 2 inches and it was already out of the hole. I thought I had seen something round and coin sized with a bright edge flash out of the hole and got pretty excited. I moved the dirt around and saw it. A very dirty quarter. I truly believed I had just found a clad as it was completely caked in dirt. I rubbed it just a bit at the top and quickly realized it was no clad quarter. I saw the top of the head of a Barber quarter! I was stoked. It has been a very long time since I have had a big Barber in the hole. I put it back down and did not touch it until my friend got to my spot. I wanted him to see it in situ. Once he got there, I gave it a little Foo Juice while we both were saying we hoped it was an 1800's Barber. Sure enough. it was an 1894 and it looked beautiful sitting in my hand. Funny how just one big beautiful Barber can make you forget about all the empty holes you dug that day. HH

floodplaindetector said:
Now That is a great way to finish. Awesome find. Congrats!
That is my oldest quarter. 1894. Still waiting for Big Seated.

Thanks FPD. I found a very worn and holed 1807 Bust quarter back in the late 80's in Ohio. Other than that one, this would also be my oldest quarter. Have found Seated dimes but still waiting on Big Seated as well.

Congrats on the great finds !
Had that happen a bunch of times - made my best find of the day by saying to myself - " I'll just stay for another ten minutes or so - then I'll leave " !

E-TRAC-OHIO said:
Congrats on the great finds !
Had that happen a bunch of times - made my best find of the day by saying to myself - " I'll just stay for another ten minutes or so - then I'll leave " !

Thanks Ohio. Glad it happened with a big Barber this time. HH

Never give up,never surrender! I’ve found coins “on the way back to the car” several times CZ. Just none quite like that! Spectacular way to wrap it up! :)

Hey CZ,

Those last minute finds as you are making the walk of shame back to the car are the best.
Its just like when I used to golf I would be having the worst game ever come to the last hole make a couple of good shots just enough to come back out again.
Great finds my friend and well done!

DV

IDXMonster said:
Never give up,never surrender! I’ve found coins “on the way back to the car” several times CZ. Just none quite like that! Spectacular way to wrap it up! :)

Thanks IDX. That was definitely one of my best "last signal" finds for sure

diggervance said:
Hey CZ,

Those last minute finds as you are making the walk of shame back to the car are the best.
Its just like when I used to golf I would be having the worst game ever come to the last hole make a couple of good shots just enough to come back out again.
Great finds my friend and well done!

DV

Thanks DV. I agree it definitely is a great feeling when they pop up at the end. Sort of like the half court shot before the clock runs out.

Greg

Love those big Barbers. Congrats on a great "last call" dig! It is weird but it seems like some of my best finds come near the end of the day.

chipper97 said:
Love those big Barbers. Congrats on a great "last call" dig! It is weird but it seems like some of my best finds come near the end of the day.

Thanks Chipper! I love the big Barbers too. Really like the eagle reverse on them

Nice finds!