Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Park shoveler

Listener

Last evening I went to another small park and noticed my friend with his shovel had been to this park too. Oh well I commenced to hunt anyway. At one of his digs near by I found a quarter, so checked the poorly replaced clod and found he missed a quarter there, so swept around it and what do u know only a foot away another quarter. Like they say they don’t get it all. Ended up the area with 11 quarters , 15 dimes, 2 nickels 49 cents and a Disney necklace charm.
So today my excursion took me to West valley Utah. Hit a bus stop I usually do good at. Danged if someone else has cleaned it out already. So hit West Valley City Park. What? The shoveler has hit this one too. Well that’s ok he sucks at detecting. Walked away with 19 quarters. 26 dimes, 1 nickel and 19 cents. Here’s the thing a lot of the targets I retrieved was done with my trusty Craftsmen screwdriver and quite a few were 5-6” deep. I am proud to say I was hot tired and thirsty but u would have a hard time finding where I was. That was my starting playground back in the nineties. Pulled a lot of coins, rings etc. over the years there. Still have my 2nd gold ring found just past 3rd base in the outfield there. I only lived the next street over then on 3478 Stanton Drive. Google it.

Thanks for the kind words. I forgot to mention the Sacajawea dollar. It was A good hunt. I don’t if those diggers were the same for sure but the 1st time I encountered him he had a minelab pinpointer. I think the Deus mi6 is superior. Some of the dime signals I got the Deus2 just showed black across the bottom let meaning they were deep. The mi6 sensitivity was set at 45 and I just got a full hum which to meant it was deeper than 3 inches, so opened up a plug and than hinged that back and upped the senisitivy to 50 and it was much keener. After loosening up the soil and scooping out the dirt would bring out the dime. Some areas were dryer than others and I was just too tired to go after those deep dimes. After all I am 81 and starting too loose some steam.

OK. At 81 that was an exemplary hunt.
Good for you old boy.

I picked up the MI6. Should have gotten the 4.
I don't have a deus. Legend and Manticore have I.

I primarily use the oll Carrot.
Goes much deeper than the MI6.
Why is that. Or am I adjusting it incorrectly.

I've picked up a few pinpointers this spring.
Looking for something deeper and two tone.

Soooo.
Is this guy just an idiot ?
Or a night raider working in the dark and in a hurry ?

Its amazing the sloppy plugs or “holes” I see when out detecting. I dont mind sweeping someone else's dig but part of me doesn't want to be seen anywhere near it because it just takes one person to see you physically there and we all pay the wrath later. Those times I’ve come across plugs not replaced properly but not grossly obvious I will reposition and move on. Tough call sometimes.
Good job getting out there and be conscientious.

Whatever he is, sounds like he needs some recovery lessons. Listener, just keep swinging. I got you by 2 years and while my hunts have gotten a bit shorter during the higher heat months, I'm afraid to quit my daily hunts for fear it becomes a perminate quit. HH jim tn
Eggzakly.
When you Stop doing things.
Age catches up soooo quickly
Im almost 64. And disabled.
You guys are a great insperation for those of us who were slowed down prematurely.
Thank You.
That’s the idea keeps us young with roll on pain killer handy!🤣

You did good!!!
Sounds like a kid at it to me with the shovel.
I tried a school a few years ago and also noticed that someone had made a mess digging with a shovel.. I started checking and repairing the holes and like you, I found quite a few quarter that they missed.
Sounds like a hyper active Rich's dreamer.
Hopefully he'll get discouraged soon.
And stop making a mess that'll get us banned.

A shovel accidentally to the back of the brain Cavity would make a proper adjustment for this disrespectful moron.
I cautiously approach them when I see them and an try to guide them to better methods and never leave without telling them that shovels in groomed parks is unethical in the metal detecting community and suggest they join one of the clubs for more information on the legal aspects of the hobby.
Sorry to hear of your battle with health. We all want to stay healthy and think we are younger than we are. Just found out Tuesday I have a kidney stone. Trying to deal With that and hope all ends well.and can get out and enjoy my hobbie. Sometimes can’t pick our battles.

and never leave without telling them that shovels in groomed parks is unethical
I've had a few I've talked with about their holes to tell me to mind my own business, or something similar, and a few that seemingly did want to learn. I am of the school that a shovel of any kind should never be carried onto a city park for recovery retrieval. Quite honestly, a shovel cuts a neater plug but perception is everything. There are more then a few, though, in our hobby that just don't care. HH jim tn

I cautiously approach them when I see them and an try to guide them to better methods and never leave without telling them that shovels in groomed parks is unethical in the metal detecting community and suggest they join one of the clubs for more information on the legal aspects of the hobby.
Sorry to hear of your battle with health. We all want to stay healthy and think we are younger than we are. Just found out Tuesday I have a kidney stone. Trying to deal With that and hope all ends well.and can get out and enjoy my hobbie. Sometimes can’t pick our battles.
Thanks Listener. You most certainly Listen well.
A rare skill these days. 😊

Last evening I went to another small park and noticed my friend with his shovel had been to this park too. Oh well I commenced to hunt anyway. At one of his digs near by I found a quarter, so checked the poorly replaced clod and found he missed a quarter there, so swept around it and what do u know only a foot away another quarter. Like they say they don’t get it all. Ended up the area with 11 quarters , 15 dimes, 2 nickels 49 cents and a Disney necklace charm.
So today my excursion took me to West valley Utah. Hit a bus stop I usually do good at. Danged if someone else has cleaned it out already. So hit West Valley City Park. What? The shoveler has hit this one too. Well that’s ok he sucks at detecting. Walked away with 19 quarters. 26 dimes, 1 nickel and 19 cents. Here’s the thing a lot of the targets I retrieved was done with my trusty Craftsmen screwdriver and quite a few were 5-6” deep. I am proud to say I was hot tired and thirsty but u would have a hard time finding where I was. That was my starting playground back in the nineties. Pulled a lot of coins, rings etc. over the years there. Still have my 2nd gold ring found just past 3rd base in the outfield there. I only lived the next street over then on 3478 Stanton Drive. Google it.
Hopefully the people in charge do not see this person with a shovel. Last week at my favorite park I had a similar experience with this type of digging. I got signal on my Legend that was faint, but repeatable. I knew it was a coin in the 7-9 inch range. I use a Lesche digger and I was digging my three sided plug, I realized that the dirt was somewhat loose. At that point, I saw the faint outline of a huge(by my standards) plug. It was about 15 inches in diameter. This plug had to be a foot deep to boot. In the corner of his original plug, I found an old wheat penny that was 8 inches deep.

A person should know their detector well enough to have a rough idea of the depth and location of the target. I see you tubers digging these 12-15 inch wide plugs to find a coin four of five inches deep. Mind Boggling to me.

I’ve actually confronted people using the claws of a claw hammer, and old woman with a detector and rock pick. Neither had a pinpointer. That’s mind boggling.
These are my digging tools.
First image tools I modified for tree roots and popping coins.
The far right one being my favorite. Great in gravel too.
Second image your average digging tools
Except the trowels. I sharpened and shaped the edges for cutting sod like butter.
Top rt the hand mattox is my favorite in sand and especially gravel. It's a great digger. The scoop end is four inches wide and can really move material.

Attachments

• 8388.jpg
    8388.jpg
    767.4 KB · Views: 71
  • FB_IMG_1609159742270.jpg
    FB_IMG_1609159742270.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 63
Its amazing the sloppy plugs or “holes” I see when out detecting. I dont mind sweeping someone else's dig but part of me doesn't want to be seen anywhere near it because it just takes one person to see you physically there and we all pay the wrath later. Those times I’ve come across plugs not replaced properly but not grossly obvious I will reposition and move on. Tough call sometimes.
Good job getting out there and be conscientious.
Three quarters of park and ball field detector users don't cut neat holes. I see it often. So many amateurs IMHO.