Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Shaft wobble 800

mascard1

Well time for the 800..To go back to Minelab....Wobbly Shaft....Seems like each swing..The coil is going to keep going..You can feel the thunk at each swing....I know this can't be to good on Wrist!
Coil sorta feels like a brick on the end!
Anybody else feel this?

I've heard a few other similar complaints
I have a 600 and an 800, and I don't have this issue
Are you tightening the lock ring by twisting
Counterclockwise until you feel it squeezingtightly?

Yes...Put your hand in cup like you are going to detect....Other hand on middle bolt(the one that you tighten the lower rod with)....Then see if you can move the joint by control box(Left to right)

mascard1 said:
Can you feel the coil at the end of swing?...Sorta clunk clunk?
https://youtu.be/0ciqIydWLEQ
Yea mine does it to
Yea Ive just been to lazy to send it in for a fix yet my arm cuff foam is falling apart already to

Mine does it also at the top can lock, you can see the thing that squeezes the shaft in the cam lock is mis shaped one side is higher than the other on mine so when it hits the shaft it's uneven causing the wobble.they will fix it but it's aggravating for sure

Even with my fixes, the shaft started to rotate (shaft play) while detecting in salt water. I thought that ML would just swap out the two metal shafts for the "fix". No way, I had to send the entire detector and all its parts in the original box and then over-boxed for protection and so others may not "see" what is inside. They said a fast turn-around, I hope it is true.

The cam itself causes the pressure pad to "look" uneven.

The plastic pad, IMHO, just can not "grip" the powder coated shaft well enough to stop rotational play.

The new type of spring lock is a loose fit in the holes in the shafts which also adds to the play.

WaterWalker said:
Even with my fixes, the shaft started to rotate (shaft play) while detecting in salt water. I thought that ML would just swap out the two metal shafts for the "fix". No way, I had to send the entire detector and all its parts in the original box and then over-boxed for protection and so others may not "see" what is inside. They said a fast turn-around, I hope it is true.

The cam itself causes the pressure pad to "look" uneven.

The plastic pad, IMHO, just can not "grip" the powder coated shaft well enough to stop rotational play.

The new type of spring lock is a loose fit in the holes in the shafts which also adds to the play.

Received my unit back for this issue exactly one day after they received it.

WW....this may bebone of those cases where this isnt going to be the best design for every day water hunters. We may have to use this as a travel shaft. Even Anderson 2 piece CTX says his isnt intended for daily use. Once Pete gets his done ill make a decision to buy one or make my own.

The locking pin spring mechanism in the lower carbon fiber shaft is smaller than the holes in the middle shaft. This is what is causing lower shaft movement. Easy fix by Minelab which could be made available to us by mail should they choose to. Spring mechanism is easily removable in carbon shaft. Retool new locking spring mechanism, have customer redrill carbon fiber shaft hole. Shaft wobble would be corrected. Have checked with micrometer. Someone somewhere got one or the other measurements off in production.

I did remove the spring clip, made a tight fitting plastic spring clip and added a shim between the pad and necked down rod to stop the rotational play. It worked fine on land just not in the salt water. Had it worked, I still would be using my "fix". I have a one piece CF shaft that worked fine, but not it would not fit in my suitcase. So I called ML and they wanted the entire unit back. I think I just might have the Equinox back in time for my next vacation...

Fantastic Service: I got an e-mail from ML from their automated system saying they had received my detector. It was exactly 23 hour and one minute from the time the Call Tag was issued to the time UPS shows it as being delivered. Another 2 hours and 4 minutes for the e-mail to be sent out. Maybe tomorrow it will be on its way back!

It will be interesting to see what their "fix" is for my travel shaft.

So you have to send all cords,phones all back? I just packed the detector only!?

Ok cool.thanks I was worried for a minute

I'm just sending detector not the cables,phones.

Btw what kinda shipping is the free ups they give? Overnight? 2 day? I saw on here a guy got his back one day after they received it which is great but how long did it take to get to them?

I was looking for this problem when I put mine together last night. Mine was rock solid with no wobble. I detected for about 5 ½ hours at the beach today and felt no wobble at all. I wonder if the wobble has to do with how long you extend the lower rod out. I’m 5’11” and my lower rod is inserted up to the 2nd hole from the top of the upper upper shaft. :shrug:

Oops, just saw your video, looks like a huge problem to me too. Hope you get it fixed.

They send me a 2nd day air ups... probably be back next week.. I sent in a 600 bad coil.. took 7 days and that is counting weekend...Pretty Quick