Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Shaft wobble 800

Yeah I sent mine back last Thursday and still don't have it supposed to be here tomorrow.i wish i wouldn't have though,the wobble wasn't bad and I could have jimmied it up.lol the waiting game is awful

JBM1 said:
A Plugger should solve the problem.

I have purchased them in the past from the USA supplier.

Infact, I have one on its way as I tap this out.:ukflag: Jerry.

Could you show us an example of this plugger!

chuckciao said:
A Plugger should solve the problem.

I have purchased them in the past from the USA supplier.

Infact, I have one on its way as I tap this out.:ukflag: Jerry.

Could you show us an example of this plugger!

Anyone contacted Chuck at Indian Nations detectors to see if the cam loks he sells will work on the Nox shaft just a thought

That appears to look just like a clamp on my monopod I use for photography. Leads to the question if a heavy duty carbon fiber monopod could be converted to work as a replacement shaft?

The above posted photo is for two different diameter shafts. The Equinox has two shafts with the same outside diameter, therefore above posted clamp will not work to stop the rotational "wobble" between the upper and middle metal shafts. They will work between the middle shaft and lower shaft that is connected to the coil.
A CLAMP ON RAIL FITTING 7/8" Stainless Steel as shown in the below photo should do the trick. I have not found this clamp in a plastic material, a nylon base would be nice. I would also put one turn of electrical tape on the two shafts where the RAIL FITTING will clamp on.

I sent my 800 back. 23 hours and 1 minute from the time ML sent me a call tag until they signed for its receipt. To return the shipper took 4 days 19 hours and 2 minutes. The time ML had it to repair / replace cams was 23 hour and 29 minutes. AND the shaft is snug and shows now signs of rotational slop. Can't wait to get it into the salt water to see how it does. Salt water detecting is where I had the most trouble with the shaft.

You are correct, but this one was for a step shaft purpose.

They do others for other shafts.

Certainly there will be no more wobble whatever the detector.

A simple solution.:thumbup:

WaterWalker said:
The above posted photo is for two different diameter shafts. The Equinox has two shafts with the same outside diameter, therefore above posted clamp will not work to stop the rotational "wobble" between the upper and middle metal shafts. They will work between the middle shaft and lower shaft that is connected to the coil.
A CLAMP ON RAIL FITTING 7/8" Stainless Steel as shown in the below photo should do the trick. I have not found this clamp in a plastic material, a nylon base would be nice. I would also put one turn of electrical tape on the two shafts where the RAIL FITTING will clamp on.

I sent my 800 back. 23 hours and 1 minute from the time ML sent me a call tag until they signed for its receipt. To return the shipper took 4 days 19 hours and 2 minutes. The time ML had it to repair / replace cams was 23 hour and 29 minutes. AND the shaft is snug and shows now signs of rotational slop. Can't wait to get it into the salt water to see how it does. Salt water detecting is where I had the most trouble with the shaft.

Can you tell what ML did to the shaft or clamp to stop the wobble?

I am not 100% sure but the friction pad is round not square as I remember it. The square section may have just been between the collar and shaft. It also can be "turned" into the shaft by the external collar. The pad maybe higher. Looks a bit different from the original one as I remember.
Also the spring pin is about .001 larger in diameter so now there is only .001 slip fit as apposed to the approximate .003 with the last pin.

I had used a plastic spring pin with a line to line tolerance between it and the shaft's hole. That made a big difference, but not enough so I put one wrap of electrical tape on the necked down section of the middle shaft. All was great - no rotational slop/slip. Good, until I went into the salt water which acted as a lubricant on the cam lock. That is when I call ML and set up the return. Tomorrow will tell the difference good or bad when I get back into the salt water.

Not sure if anyone else feels the same as I do but considering that at least a dozen forum members have had shaft wobble problems, not to mention others around the world with the same issue, it would be nice to have more transparency on this issue from Minelab and any steps they are taking to permanently correct the problem.

I just got home after driving 7 hours to check my machine out,I sent it to minelab last Thursday to fix the wobble.the tracy lady has been nice btw answered emails and calls but the wobble is still there and I'm not very happy about it! As any of y'all know or at least on mine it's not a terrible wobble but it's there and for $900 it damn well shouldn't be.i guess I'm just gonna put duck tape on the dang middle l.je shaft idk yet.good luck hope y'all get a solid shaft!

I do have a little wobble on my 800, but it seems you notice it more if you are whipping the coil, when swinging it normal I dont notice it as much. One thing it was noticeable more before I turned the locking collar by hand as tight as my 70 year old abused hands could go, maybe will have to put something on so I could maybe go slightly more tight.

Rick

Yeah you are correct it's not a big deal breaker wobble for me either rick,i just hate I gave it up for a week for nothing oh well though life goes on.so when I turn my cam lock it seems to turn till it can't turn anymore but I'm not cranking on it! Can you turn it more than tight? I'm afraid to break it if I really torque on it.

It seems to me that there are two problems here. The bad one, for me, was the rotational slipping between the two metal shafts, I had about a 5-10 degree rotation between the two shafts. This was corrected by MineLab. The second problem that I have not experienced is a side to side sweeping "wobble". I have seen the side to side wobble on other detectors, before the cam locks cam in to being. In one case the holes that the spring pins go into had corroded and were oblong, not round. a new shaft fixed that problem.

The friction pad in the cam lock has a physical tab that rides in a grove in the knob section. The grove is tapered so it can "push the friction pad "into" the necked down section of the middle shaft. It can only go so far before something has to give. Too much torque can destroy one or both parts.

What type of problem are you referring to?

Side to side wobble,its a semi discreet wobble if I was guessing only a couple degree give at the end of my swing going right to left.when I first got it it did it worse going both directions minelab replaced the middle shaft when i told them it was the camlock.

The most noticeable movement I have re the shaft is in the arm cuff. Checking shaft play at various points confirms the single, threaded thumb screw and two pice cuff are the culprits. My shaft seems ok except for that so slight degree of cuff movement that feels like its the shaft. it's simple to check by gripping the cuff and shaft to check. All actual detecting has been on pluggers CF so my evaluation was in the house whith the stock shaft. The CF travel shaft IS solid.

My cuff has a slight twitch I noticed too but it's very minimal and not the wobble culprit.i would actually like a different cuff maybe not as wide.i don't use the velcro so I'd like the cuff just a touch smaller does anyone know if this is possible?

RandyNorthridgeca said:
I was looking for this problem when I put mine together last night. Mine was rock solid with no wobble. I detected for about 5 ½ hours at the beach today and felt no wobble at all. I wonder if the wobble has to do with how long you extend the lower rod out. I’m 5’11” and my lower rod is inserted up to the 2nd hole from the top of the upper upper shaft. :shrug:

Oops, just saw your video, looks like a huge problem to me too. Hope you get it fixed.
Hi Randy, Did you have a chance to take it in the water to see how it handles our salt and blacksand beaches.

My son just received his 800, thankfully zero shaft wobble. Other than being a tad unbalanced (heavy on coil end) it handles quite well in 6-12" deep moving ocean water.

Joedaddy276 said:
My cuff has a slight twitch I noticed too but it's very minimal and not the wobble culprit.i would actually like a different cuff maybe not as wide.i don't use the velcro so I'd like the cuff just a touch smaller does anyone know if this is possible?

I heard of others gently heating the cuff with a heat gun enough to bend them in to make it smaller. Gentle heat is key, don't get it so hot it becomes glossy.