Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Swing speed

I just read a topic on the etrac forum about someone who has hunted with the etrac for a couple of years and was out on a club hunt and slowed his swing speed down to around 5 seconds each way and found a bushel of deeper wheats.What speed do you swing the ctx at?Thanks charlie

It depends on the amount of trash and iron. Maybe two seconds each way. The CTX is faster in recovery than the E trac.

I like to think of it as "scanning the ground" rather than a swing speed, puts it in a different perspective. I will usually cover about a foot per second but that depends on other factors like how much trash I'm hunting in and how deep I am listening. You can go pretty fast if you only want to go 4 to 5 inches deep in clean ground, on the other hand, you have to go pretty slow to hear the deepest targets or separate the trash from good targets.

IMHO, Larry is absolutely correct. 'It depends!' It depends on the ground, the trash, and the depths you are getting the good stuff. The slower I go gives the deeper stuff time to make me a good tone. In a nice clean field where there are few targets, sensitivity cranked all the way up, I would speed up to the 3 or 4 second sweep one way and 3 or 4 seconds the other (about 2 feet per second). If you start to get splats and grunts, then slow down to analyze ALL the targets. A hunting buddy told me "Slow down and let the Good Tones Roll in".

I usually hunt in completely open screen with sensitivity cranked up in manual to about 26 or so but i plan on slowing now at least for a while to see what changes.I dig wheats at 9-11 inches now and my swing speed was about 2 seconds.Yesterday i dug a can at a ridiculous depth of around 16" or so probaly not enough time to sniff a acoin at that depth at my current swing speed so time for a change

Ditto what the others have said. I usually start SLOW and let the ground and targets adjust my swing speed. You will hear some good stuff going slow. Pretend you are at the beach with those wrap arounds on looking at the nice ladies. Now go slower than that. HH

I've been going slower and slower. It's a challenge though coming from other machines and I tend to like to swing fast like 1-2 for a full arc now I'm doing 3 to 4. Just the other day I got some chirpy good signals and slowed down and the signal got better and better an finally locked on. Like others have said a lot depends on the ground and the trash level.

Hunters using multi frequency Minelabs should always be the slowest hunters. I am mostly a beach hunter and prove this time and time again. While others complain of sanded in conditions I cover only 300ft of beach and come home with 70 targets. I was once a fast aimless hunter but now I target the same spots day in and out, with the results repeating day in day out. But of coarse there are times conditions just prove to be bad!
BCNJ