Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well life rolls on

The horse makes me laugh. I saw a cartoon once with a cow that looked to be in the same condition. An old rough looking cowboy is telling the vet "And then this morning, I noticed she didn't look so good." There is a kind of museum in La Junta, Colorado called the Koshare Indian Kiva that has wood carvings of characters similar to the horse in quite humorous settings.

I forgot to mention it was a Minelab Sovereign.
Hey Chuck, I just had to respond here about the tones of my Sovereign as well. I was hunting an old section of beach at the Hudson River up on the dry sand side that used to be an old Boy's/Girl's scout camp in the 30s and 40s. Got a SCREAMER on my ole' Sov XS that I could swear was a can. Used my foot to kick at the sand and popped out a MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR! Also had a hunt at an old school house with my Troy Shadow years ago and was hunting the edge of the property near the road. Of course there are a lot of cans and trash there as well and I got another screamer that said "coin" with the coin check button. Dug up TWO large cents one on top of the other. You never know... Still use my Sov XS as my main detector and do best WITHOUT the meter. HH , George

When I first started watching the forum's in early 2000. Lot of Tesoro hunters. Guys talking about their Sabers, Bandits, DeLorins, Cortez the Compadre. Than the mysterious Golden. Troy had a good run. I believe Tesoro sold a gang of Mojave's. Just a few years ago too. Than Wammo. K-Put.
So rather the guys quit hunting or got too old or moved on. Just not many guys telling of their hunts. Things sorta dried up in the school yards & parks, but you can still dig up some fun. Deep Tech trying to get their new analog a foot hold in North America. I was looking at the Fisher F5. It's like a Hi Bred , got knobs and a silly screen. About the closest I have found since the fall. You know Tesoro sure put a lot of tech in those little boxes. Gonna B missed. Well as for me, I got the Light Brigade. Mojave and the HH Pirate Pro. Their both closing in on a thousand coins this season. Makes a challenge.
I got my first proper detector over 30 years ago, I'm 45 this year so not that ancient 😁, the machine was a Fisher 1265X and I still have it in near mint condition, I found so much great stuff with it. I took a long hiatus from detecting because life got in the way, I didn't keep up with anything about it. Coming back into it over the past few years has been a shock, it use to be a 'fringe' hobby,I was the only one doing it where I grew up. Nowadays with social media internet/YouTube, like almost everything, I think it's turned into a circus and totally oversaturated, there are no secrets anymore, it's all about having 'the best' machine, which in most peoples view is a digital entertainment box with the latest tech and a clock, I do sort of understand this, it's within the mainstream companies interest to make machines that are accessible as possible to as many as possible, creating an environment like this will clearly make them more money. Do I think it's great for the hobby? in all honesty, no I don't, it can attract the wrong kind of people getting into it for all the wrong reasons - "Code Of Conduct" .. anyone ?

The same thing has happened with carp fishing, people see others catching big carp - the equivalent in the detecting world to silver coins and gold rings, and think "I want some of that" so they start a YouTube channel and become a self styled guru for the hobby within a week or two, fishing and hunting for as many likes and subscribers as possible seems to be the main motivation, don't get me wrong, if they enjoy it fair play, who am I to judge, I just feel like the actual art of detecting is secondary to followers, likes and potential sponsorships. From this the circle repeats, others see it and do the same, and the circle repeats again, mud-larking on the Thames has suffered the same fate ......... the amount of farmers and land owners I know in the UK that are sick to death of people turning up at their door wanting to hunt their land is pretty crazy, many have had bad experiences, holes not filled in, rubbish left etc ... so when I show up, some one that loves history and detecting that respects and appreciates the land I get to hunt, I'm usually given the cold shoulder. I know things change but they don't always change for the better, technology isn't making us more intelligent, I actually see the complete opposite in the society around me. I purchased an Equinox 800 'knowing nothing of the hype around it', it's clearly a capable machine and I've found plenty of stuff with it but there was a huge disconnect, I felt like I was playing a game, not actually detecting. I now swing a Nexus Standard MP V2 which I love more than life itself, it's totally analogue and allows me to connect with the ground beneath my feet in a way I've never experienced.

I got my first proper detector over 30 years ago, I'm 45 this year so not that ancient 😁, the machine was a Fisher 1265X and I still have it in near mint condition, I found so much great stuff with it. I took a long hiatus from detecting because life got in the way, I didn't keep up with anything about it. Coming back into it over the past few years has been a shock, it use to be a 'fringe' hobby,I was the only one doing it where I grew up. Nowadays with social media internet/YouTube, like almost everything, I think it's turned into a circus and totally oversaturated, there are no secrets anymore, it's all about having 'the best' machine, which in most peoples view is a digital entertainment box with the latest tech and a clock, I do sort of understand this, it's within the mainstream companies interest to make machines that are accessible as possible to as many as possible, creating an environment like this will clearly make them more money. Do I think it's great for the hobby? in all honesty, no I don't, it can attract the wrong kind of people getting into it for all the wrong reasons - "Code Of Conduct" .. anyone ?

The same thing has happened with carp fishing, people see others catching big carp - the equivalent in the detecting world to silver coins and gold rings, and think "I want some of that" so they start a YouTube channel and become a self styled guru for the hobby within a week or two, fishing and hunting for as many likes and subscribers as possible seems to be the main motivation, don't get me wrong, if they enjoy it fair play, who am I to judge, I just feel like the actual art of detecting is secondary to followers, likes and potential sponsorships. From this the circle repeats, others see it and do the same, and the circle repeats again, mud-larking on the Thames has suffered the same fate ......... the amount of farmers and land owners I know in the UK that are sick to death of people turning up at their door wanting to hunt their land is pretty crazy, many have had bad experiences, holes not filled in, rubbish left etc ... so when I show up, some one that loves history and detecting that respects and appreciates the land I get to hunt, I'm usually given the cold shoulder. I know things change but they don't always change for the better, technology isn't making us more intelligent, I actually see the complete opposite in the society around me. I purchased an Equinox 800 'knowing nothing of the hype around it', it's clearly a capable machine and I've found plenty of stuff with it but there was a huge disconnect, I felt like I was playing a game, not actually detecting. I now swing a Nexus Standard MP V2 which I love more than life itself, it's totally analogue and allows me to connect with the ground beneath my feet in a way I've never experienced.
So true. But a lot of people buy a detector use it for a couple three weeks find out it's not all fun and games gold coins and rings aren't popping out of the ground like they envisioned so the detector gets put in the garage and forgotten about. Same thing happens to guitars

When I first started watching the forum's in early 2000. Lot of Tesoro hunters. Guys talking about their Sabers, Bandits, DeLorins, Cortez the Compadre. Than the mysterious Golden. Troy had a good run. I believe Tesoro sold a gang of Mojave's. Just a few years ago too. Than Wammo. K-Put.
So rather the guys quit hunting or got too old or moved on. Just not many guys telling of their hunts. Things sorta dried up in the school yards & parks, but you can still dig up some fun. Deep Tech trying to get their new analog a foot hold in North America. I was looking at the Fisher F5. It's like a Hi Bred , got knobs and a silly screen. About the closest I have found since the fall. You know Tesoro sure put a lot of tech in those little boxes. Gonna B missed. Well as for me, I got the Light Brigade. Mojave and the HH Pirate Pro. Their both closing in on a thousand coins this season. Makes a challenge.
I bought my Vaquero about 7 months before they shut down.

CJM, as one of my heroes said " never, never, never give up." I'm in my middle '80's and still try to get out daily. Can't give up 'till they pry it from my cold, cold hands. Among other things! Yesterday I was only 50. Still can't figure how I made the '80's so quick.

Absolutely in complete agreement.
I started in 74 with a Sears or Radio Shack.
Though I dug lots of silver and old coppers.
Numismatic ment nothing to me at that age.
Just pocket change for candy and comic books.
Without guidance. Hard to find back then.
Girls soon became more important.
Picking up a detector now and then through the years.
I didn't become serious again until the early nineties.
By then the digital age was coming on strong.
Yep I got caught up in it.
Just had to have one of those talking Garrett's.
Still have it. Kinda of fun to play with it now then.
On to the MXT and Explorer. Great machines.
But now I'm definitely digging more trash.
And most likely skipping good targets for the recommendations of that dang digital screen.
Now I'm back on track I hope with the Sovereign GT and that sweet little Mojave.
Just picked up the Tejon.
Definitely impressing me with it's ability to run under 33 thousand volt power lines just 30ft over head going into a substation. Very impressed.
One of my biggest pevs.
Is getting chased off a property I have a good permission on.
Because some pieces of crap saw me detecting.
And night hawked the property leaving gapping holes everywhere. Beer cans and trash scattered about. Wrecking any possibility of me having a good relaxing weekend. Until I find another new permission.
Back to the cruddy well picked beach again.
Hardly find a pull tab anymore.
Get a rare good hard cut from a noreaster here on lake Erie. I'll occasionally find some 50ish coins.
The Greedy thief's are wrecking this hobby.

Absolutely in complete agreement.
I started in 74 with a Sears or Radio Shack.
Though I dug lots of silver and old coppers.
Numismatic ment nothing to me at that age.
Just pocket change for candy and comic books.
Without guidance. Hard to find back then.
Girls soon became more important.
Picking up a detector now and then through the years.
I didn't become serious again until the early nineties.
By then the digital age was coming on strong.
Yep I got caught up in it.
Just had to have one of those talking Garrett's.
Still have it. Kinda of fun to play with it now then.
On to the MXT and Explorer. Great machines.
But now I'm definitely digging more trash.
And most likely skipping good targets for the recommendations of that dang digital screen.
Now I'm back on track I hope with the Sovereign GT and that sweet little Mojave.
Just picked up the Tejon.
Definitely impressing me with it's ability to run under 33 thousand volt power lines just 30ft over head going into a substation. Very impressed.
One of my biggest pevs.
Is getting chased off a property I have a good permission on.
Because some pieces of crap saw me detecting.
And night hawked the property leaving gapping holes everywhere. Beer cans and trash scattered about. Wrecking any possibility of me having a good relaxing weekend. Until I find another new permission.
Back to the cruddy well picked beach again.
Hardly find a pull tab anymore.
Get a rare good hard cut from a noreaster here on lake Erie. I'll occasionally find some 50ish coins.
The Greedy thief's are wrecking this hobby.
I totally agree

CJM, as one of my heroes said " never, never, never give up." I'm in my middle '80's and still try to get out daily. Can't give up 'till they pry it from my cold, cold hands. Among other things! Yesterday I was only 50. Still can't figure how I made the '80's so quick.
Life Flys by

Hey Chuck, I just had to respond here about the tones of my Sovereign as well. I was hunting an old section of beach at the Hudson River up on the dry sand side that used to be an old Boy's/Girl's scout camp in the 30s and 40s. Got a SCREAMER on my ole' Sov XS that I could swear was a can. Used my foot to kick at the sand and popped out a MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR! Also had a hunt at an old school house with my Troy Shadow years ago and was hunting the edge of the property near the road. Of course there are a lot of cans and trash there as well and I got another screamer that said "coin" with the coin check button. Dug up TWO large cents one on top of the other. You never know... Still use my Sov XS as my main detector and do best WITHOUT the meter. HH , George
I would love to dig those. Still looking.

I still have my Cortes, a couple of Golden Sabre II, and my Compadre. I sometimes think about selling them but....They still have their place and I still like looking at them and using them. They look like an instrument. Not really into the new phone look of the newest detectors. I like the bells and whistles and screens but sometimes I still need the Tesoro hip mountable analog audio of the GSII's and my wife likes the weight and simplicity of the Compadre. The Cortes....well I like the expanded disc range with the graph with a second check SUM mode and it looks cool.

HH
Mike

Well said everyone. I turn 39 this year and besides a bad choice of Garrett ace 350 at the start, compadre was my first of many. Now have 11 tesoros.
I have a couple "fancy machines". Nokta fors relic and racer 2 I got back when they were released. Also just got a legend, but I still will always love my tesoros. The new beep and digs are cool looking but the cost is pretty high up there. Part of my love for tesoro was the cost and performance. Most mine were bought used and they just work.
Yes I use fancy machines too, but I can't tell you how many times I end up with the compadre in my hand during a hunt lol.
I even thought it was funny that I bought any of the other tesoros lol.
I was lucky enough to get 2 Mojave before they closed and prices went crazy.
I have no plans on ever seeing any of my tesoros. Even had a fight with my ex about one of the Mojave which I technically got for her but she never wanted to go use. Lol
I won and still have it haha 😆

Honestly. I can't find the missing years from 10 to today. Last I remember I was digging in the gravel pit near my grandparents house. Actually finding gold nuggets. A bright flash. And now I'm in this old broken body with memories that feel like they were flashed into my brain. Auuggghhhhhhh

The horse makes me laugh. I saw a cartoon once with a cow that looked to be in the same condition. An old rough looking cowboy is telling the vet "And then this morning, I noticed she didn't look so good." There is a kind of museum in La Junta, Colorado called the Koshare Indian Kiva that has wood carvings of characters similar to the horse in quite humorous settings.
Love to see those.