Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do detectorist use to put dirt on while digging a hole

cheesehead2

I wanted to bring this up just in case there is someone out there that doesn't use any kind of device (Towel or mat) to lay down next to a hole and place the dirt on after digging the horseshoe plug.
I use an old cheap rubber 12"x12" rear car floor mat. I sit it down by the hole. Kneel on the corner, dig the plug and turn the dirt over an scoop dirt out and place it on the mat until the target is found. Once done I lift the mat up and funnel the dirt back in and drop the mat and kneel back down and replace the plug.
No evidence.
Only posting this because i believe I dug without anything for a good 6 months. Then upgraded to a towel which didn't do the greatest.
The rubber mat works awesome and can be rolled up and tucked under the arm while detecting. I never detect without it.
I'm sure most everyone uses something but thought maybe a new-be may find this informing.

I use a surgical towel, but any small cloth or towel will work. Wads up and goes in my treasure pouch until needed. .

I use a beige heavy shop towel. That's when I don't just throw the dirt into the air and recover the item before the dirt falls back and refills the hole in time to put the flap back.Ya gotta be in very fast mode those days.Yazoo

Congratulations on finding something to dig. What kind of machine you got? Just kidding I use a medium sized thin towel. HH

I use one of those plastic cutting boards that roll up. I can keep under my arm or stick in my back pocket while detecting until needed. They work great for funneling the dirt back in to the hole.

I made a cloth from the back of an old military or sailor type raincoat.

It is easy to keep clean, it folds up small and is very durable.

I will never use anything else.

frisbee

pic05-1.jpg

Jerry

n/t

I use a 14'x14" piece of old denim (blue jeans), the fabric is pretty slick and not much dirt sticks to it.
I carry that and my accumulated trash in an old skeet shooting pouch, it will hold about as much junk as I willing to dig.

A cheap paper plate works well for me. When finished with it, I fold it twice and put it in my finds pouch. The cheap thin plates are very flexible and when folded take up very little space.

I use a ziploc freezer bag. 11x12 inches. Folds up nicely. Dirt slides off easy. Never needs washing, well, maybe a wipe.

I use my wifes red silk place mats, dirt doesn't stick and folds up nicely.:ranting: Just kidding, use old kitchen towels that have been demoted to garage rags.

MOOSE HH!!

I use a percale pillow case. dirt doesn't stick to it and I can haul all my gold and silver away in it at the end of the day.

Anyone kneel on these things?
Guess that is why I use a rubber mat from a car.
Can kneel on the corner even in slight gravel, don't worry about getting pants or knee dirty. Rolls up nice and very sturdy.
Pretty neat of how many different things people use.
Was waiting for someone to say they use a foldout lawn chair from walmart.

I use a corner piece of tarp about 24x 30. The corner grommet gets a key ring in it and that attaches to a
key keeper on my belt. Duct tape the cut edges both sides to keep it from pulling apart. Works great if the
ground is wet, you can kneel on one end and still have plenty for dirt. Hoses off if your digging in mud also.