Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wow! What a sidewalk!

cz70pro

I've had a sidewalk strip in town that has been calling my name for quite some time. I finally had a chance to get out to it this past Saturday. I only had three hours to hunt so I got out there bright and early. From past research, I was able to learn that this particular sidewalk once fronted an old 1880's multi-story sanatorium that became a hotel in the 1890's. Not long after, it burned to the ground. Now two 1930's era homes stand in the spot of the sanatorium and you would never know anything else had ever been there.

I started running a row down the edge of the sidewalk from one end of the block to the other. At my third hole I got a 12-42, dug down about 7 inches and was surprised to pull out a 1935 Mercury dime. I continued down towards the half way point and dug lots of coins and a few Wheaties. At the mid point I dug two Wheaties out of one hole and then about 15 feet further I got a sweet 12-46 signal. The ground had a gravel layer that I had to get through but once I did I pushed the target out of the side wall and was surprised to see a silver quarter tumble out! I figured it would be a Washington but soon realized I had a 1908-D Barber quarter! That's my second one this year and I was a very happy camper. I ran the coil over the hole again and I got a another sweet 12-45 high tone. I dug a little further and pulled out a 1944 Mercury dime from the same hole. I then went a little further down the walk and soon got a 12-45 and found another Mercury dime dated 1937 in the plug just four inches down. Some of the other finds I made were a very nice brass padlock keyhole cover, an early costume ring and a monogrammed cuff link. I only managed to cover about a third of the area that morning so I will definitely be going back.

Wow, what an epic hunt you had! Congrats on the multiple Silver's and especially that big Barber. Way to go!

utmike said:
Wow, what an epic hunt you had! Congrats on the multiple Silver's and especially that big Barber. Way to go!

Thanks Mike! It definitely was an awesome hunt. I love finding those big Barbers.

Nice research and congrats on that quarter. I have had a few strips pay off well also over the years.
Some dont look like much but they can hold some goodies.

Great finds , hope the return trip is just as good !

That IS a good sidewalk! Think of all the things that people have lost everywhere....it’s just sickening thinking about all of the loot I’ll never have time to recover!:)
That old “dinosaur” is treating you very well...

floodplaindetector said:
Nice research and congrats on that quarter. I have had a few strips pay off well also over the years.
Some dont look like much but they can hold some goodies.

Thanks FPD.

IDXMonster said:
That IS a good sidewalk! Think of all the things that people have lost everywhere....it’s just sickening thinking about all of the loot I’ll never have time to recover!:)
That old “dinosaur” is treating you very well...

Yep, I love my T-Rex.

Delta Digger said:
Good finds man. I love those side walk tear outs. We're you using the x-5 coil.

Thanks Delta. Your old machine is still finding the goods! I was using the stock coil and this wasn't a tear out. Wish it was. This is an existing sidewalk right next to a very busy residential street. I usually use my X-5 at the end after covering it with the larger coil.

Excellent finds - a job well done !