Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I'm Getting Discouraged..!

fastdraw

I haven't found anything really good in months.

I'm a Treasure Hunter...!

But yet,.. No Treasure...??

I hunted an old 1800's School House on two separate days (Picture Included) and all I got was Can Slaw..!
I didn't even find a modern clad Krusty coin.

I spend a few minutes looking at the terrain before I even turn on my detector, then I do a proper ground balance... plus an EMI... I checked my settings with a test coin... and I repeat the process if I'm not happy. (Nox-600)

I'M still have a good time,.. Kinda..? but it's starting to get to me. 😠

I WISH I could post something great on this forum, but it's just not happening.

I'm NOT looking for sympathy,... I'm looking for advice, and that's what this Forum is all about.

Attachments

• Goldhillschool.jpg
    Goldhillschool.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 90
I feel your pain. Since I moved to Florida, I rarely hunt in the summer. Once the weather cools I get a bit more excited about hunting. If hunting a promising site is not producing as I feel it should,
I get superstitious and toss a few old coins on the ground to "show" the Nox what to be searching for. Call, me crazy but I think it helped with recovering a '43 P war nickel...go figure.
HH & GL.

Scout out some new places… Don’t try too hard and enjoy the time outside. When you find something great it’s just a bonus!
YES! I too have those streaks where nothing good is to be found. But... I remind myself about the fresh air, the exercise, the learning more about my machine and the research of where to go. Most of all, though, I got to enjoy walking through older neighborhoods and admiring classic architecture of older homes. I also get to enjoy the cool breeze, hot warm days and general park hunting and people watching, etc. :)

YES! I too have those streaks where nothing good is to be found. But... I remind myself about the fresh air, the exercise, the learning more about my machine and the research of where to go. Most of all, though, I got to enjoy walking through older neighborhoods and admiring classic architecture of older homes. I also get to enjoy the cool breeze, hot warm days and general park hunting and people watching, etc. :)

Do not despair. We have all had months, even bad years, until we find some promising place.
The lack of rewards on the site you visited can be due to many factors.
1º Maybe other people had the same idea as you
2º It may be that other people, will be ahead of you, seeing the information in the forum
3rd Perhaps, it had too much discrimination
4th Perhaps, he wanted to cover everything and did not focus on searching "carefully"
5th Have you tried searching without discrimination with a slight background tone and paying attention to weak signals?

As you can see, many things can influence. Cheer up friend, when you least expect it, the hare jumps. (proverb) ;)

fast draw, I think we all have periods of lack lustre finds. I know I have, anyway. Save for knocking on doors, which isn't my cup of tea, there are few, if any, new spots to hunt and while getting a new detector can give one renewed faith for a while, soon reality begins to set in. As has already been mentioned, though, the hobby isn't altogether about the finds. Other rewards can be achieved from it. Non the less, as finds become leaner and leaner during such periods, I believe most of us have a tendency to press harder and simply not (re)work a spot carefully as we typically do. We hunt faster and move from spot to spot more frequently. I am new to the Nox and I have found the key to any kind of success with it is too hunt slow. Its pretty good at sniffing out good targets in a trashy park environment, but not so if one is pressing their hunting manner. Just my experience, anyway, Good luck! HH jim tn

I hunted an old 1800's School House on two separate days (Picture Included) and all I got was Can Slaw..!

I spend a few minutes looking at the terrain before I even turn on my detector, then I do a proper ground balance... plus an EMI... I checked my settings with a test coin... and I repeat the process if I'm not happy. (Nox-600)

I'm NOT looking for sympathy,... I'm looking for advice, and that's what this Forum is all about.
it will happening for you when you least expect it. When in doubt zoom out. Think of it like this. No place is truly hunted out the find levels just change. Keep on swinging and the best of luck to you

I feel your pain the ground is so hard it's difficult to force a digger in the ground. Been forced to go to the sand which has been productive but not my favorite type of hunting. Persevere and it will come!
HH Jeff

It wouldn't hurt going out with somebody else or buying a different machine to play with.

In my soil, coinshooting, the Nox is my last choice over my other minelabs. I do take it out. It did register a Rosie that my Etrac located-- (high warble, 8" deep, high probability it was silver). However, I would not have dug had I not had some experience under my belt-- it was better than iffy, but not a classic coin signal. I spent quite a bit of time messing with settings-- you might consider dropping iron bias to 0 or 1, as that gave me the best results, again, on this coin in my soil.

Another thing: always dig a one way signal, if it is repeatable at 90 degrees. On my ctx/etrac, it is usually junk; on the nox, it has a good probability of being a coin.

Maybe make yourself a coin garden.

It is possible that there just isn't anything there. Rural schoolhouses I have detected have produced zilch.

You are correct in that sometimes the ground is so hard it would take a pickaxe to recover a coin
I use a pic hammer often where I hunt. It helps get the hole started where then I can use shovel. My advice for that school is 1st determine if it's been pounded hard. If you still feel there's something there? Start a grid. You might have to start digging those deeper iffy targets. Dig it all! Don't cherry pick!

If everyone found treasure every time they went out everyone and his brother would be detecting.
That how it goes sometimes you do sometimes you don't.
A lot of times back in the day kids didn't even have shoes to wear
losing money didn't happen often.
Sounds like that schools been detected before?

Don't get discouraged Fastdraw... we have all been there.
Earlier this year, I tried a school that was built in 1958 to see if it held any silver.
I searched very close for a solid hour and all I found was one clad dime and a clad quarter.
I decided to try for one more hour and if things did not improve, I was going to leave.
I went over to another area, and things started to happen then.
I found only two silver coins that day, but also found a pile of clad.
I went back numerous times and found more silver and more clad, but not much more in the area where I first tried.
That site looks promising, but I have also been to many promising sites that did not yield much in finds.
I will say this.. in my opinion, you have a good detector and if it is there, I believe you will find something there.
You have made some great finds with that Equinox... have no doubt about it's capabilities.

Some of the best looking old coin spots such as your 1800’s school house sometimes are a bust. Others could of hunted it before us or fill could of been brought in. Lots of variables….
In stating the above, look around and say to yourself, “ self, where is the last place I would ever hunt at this school house?” Then head to that area and hunt it. I have done this many times with my hunting grounds and have been pleasantly been surprised with beautiful old coins that everyone missed. Move further away from the school house and hunt the perimeter, woods, look for large mature trees, look for stone walls, hillsides, top of hills, any and I mean any type of water supply that could be in the area. (Brooks, streams, maybe there is an old well ) try to locate where the outhouse was. Look at old aerial maps and see if you can identify things from above. The Equinox has found me boat loads of old coins and clad this year. It’s a super machine for all types of hunting. Don’t give up and keep the pressure on this old school for a few more hunts. “Spot hunt” this school location each time you go there. If you latch onto an old coin, then hunker down and grid the snot out of the area. You have the correct tools, it’s just a matter of latching onto an area that’s been missed. Good luck and keep us posted.