Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Post brought over from Resource center: Software update suggestions for CTX 3030.....Feel free to join the discussion....

parkgt

There is so much unrealized potential for productivity enhancing customization. If Minelab doesn't want to put the effort in to bringing it forth, maybe it could be opened up for someone else to develop.

I imagine there are a number of CTX users that would even pay a little to see some additional customization options be made available.

How many users would pay for instance $20.00 or less than 1% of the initial cost to see some of the functionality improved as suggested in these posts?

Administrator's note: This post provides an excellent opportunity for CTX 3030 users to provide feedback to Minelab, regarding future upgrades. Not updates....upgrades. I encourage each of you to contribute your thoughts as to how you would like to see your CTX 3030 evolve, and your opinion as to what you are willing to do to help get it there.

Updated again, due to posts that have nothing to do with software functionality suggestions........I keep finding posts that have nothing to do with software enhancements or how we might expect Minelab to implement them. If you have comments other than how we would like to see the CTX 3030 evolve, please make individual posts on the CTX 3030 forum. If they are made here, they will be deleted. Nothing personal. Just trying to keep this string of posts on track. Thanks. HH Randy

I moved this post over from the Resource Center as I think it is an excellent topic for discussion.

As parkgt said, "there is so much unrealized potential for productivity enhancing customization". Just think what that means to us, the consumer............When the first Explorer was brought to the market in the late 1990's, it offered functionality like we'd never seen before. Eventually, the Explorer evolved to the Ex2, then the SE. With these new models, many of us witnessed the introduction of functionality that had been on our "wish lists" for years. The only problem was, to get the new functionality, we had to buy the new detector. The Explorer series was replaced by the E-TRAC in 2008 and became their "new Flagship" for the next 4 years. Then, not quite a year ago, the FBS2 - CTX 3030 was introduced. When you consider the flexibility offered by this platform that allows us to update and upgrade the CTX 3030 right from our PC.......who knows how long it will reign as king. But did you notice I said update and upgrade? To me, there is a difference.

I view an update as something provided FREE by the manufacturer, to resolve an existing issue. For example, the Li-Ion battery causing shut-downs (early on) was something that needed to be fixed. And Minelab did that via an update. They also provided "Salt Water mode" via an update. Again, speaking strictly for myself, I think the Salt Water improvement should have been an update. And if any additional issues come up in the future, I think these "updates" should be provided by Minelab FREE to anyone who's CTX 3030 is under warranty.

Locking Pinpoint was provided via a download that was part of an update. Frankly, I would have called that one an upgrade as I consider it a product "enhancement". But Locking Pinpoint is just one small example of what I believe parkgt was talking about when he mentioned the unrealized potential enhancing customization on the CTX 3030. If you've looked at the "software suggestions" over on the Resource Center, you know there have been some really good ones. And I'm sure each of us have found our favorites. But whether they offer an upgrade that allows for more bins in a Combined mode, more colors on the screen, assignable tones, or the ability to zoom in on a portion of the screen ( to name but a few)........how much would we be willing to pay for such upgrades? Does the money you might save by being able to "upgrade" instead of buying another detector come into play?

I encourage each of you to let the rest of us know what you think.

HH Randy

Now that Randy has thrown me under the bus::tongue: Count me in!

I have been involved in forums on other consumer electronics where independent developers have been compensated by the user community and have either hacked or been given code to work with.

The CTX seems to be a solid platform that could be so much more.

I have been critical of Minelab for not making it more; but they delivered what the brochure said I would get when I agreed to purchase it. They are under no obligation to go further even though I think they should and wish the would.

If they don't or won't, I hope they will let or help someone that will.

Now I am willing to pay more to get more.

Greg

I was of course kidding about being thrown under the bus. We all know that Randy shares our passion and wants to see the CTX be all it can be.

Is no one willing to pay more to see the CTX experience improved? We have to show ML that we are more than idle talk, money speaks loudly!

Many of you have made your opinions known on what you would like to see changed.

Are you willing to spend a little to get it; if so how much?

I kike the idea...
I would pay...
If it were a major upgrade I believe it could be a very marketable endeavor for Minelab.....
Hard to say how much it is worth to the consumer not knowing what might be offered???

Minelab is not sticking up too thare Word Free updates so that was Just the selling Pitch???? Yes I will go $20 Bucks or Less 4R a update, Mickfin

mickfin said:
Minelab is not sticking up too thare Word Free updates so that was Just the selling Pitch???? Yes I will go $20 Bucks or Less 4R a update, Mickfin

First off, Minelab is not the one who is making this inquiry. As someone who has been involved with the CTX 3030 long enough to recognize that the platform offers unmatched potential, I thought parkgt's comments were worthy of discussion with CTX 3030 users, and brought his post over from the Resource Center.

Secondly......as to Minelab not sticking to their word........ The CTX 3030 has been out less than one year. During that time, we've had 3 FREE updates and Minelab has not given any indication that updates won't continue. How can you, in good faith, say that they haven't stuck to their word?

Third...the selling Pitch????.........As I mentioned, the 3 we've received so far have been free. But for the sake of future updates, (and continued discussion on this topic) could you point out where their "Free Updates" statement is located? Thanks. HH Randy

nolanation said:
I think offering Minelab $20 per update is quite insane. Part of the $2500 price tag was because it offered free updates,

Nolan

For a while the "free updates" thing had me critical of Minelab. But I couldn't find in writing where they ever hinted or promised that future "upgrades" would be free.

Not that I particularly like it, but I have paid to upgrade a lot of software over the years. In almost every case the enhanced abilities were worth it.

nolanation said:
I wouldn't pay to put someone elses developed software enhancements on my CTX. I could see that immediately voiding the warranty. Even if they did release code, it could easily get into the wrong hands.

I think offering Minelab $20 per update is quite insane. Part of the $2500 price tag was because it offered free updates, I understand they don't have to do this, but we have already heard from Gatekeeper that there are a few on the way, and they do have a reputation on the line.

Nolan

I agree that the potential for this code to get in the wrong hands is real so therefor I can see our warranties being void because of such things too. If Minelab or a Minelab accredited developer releases an update, I might buy one and even then, I wouldn't spend $20 on an update unless it is a big helpful advancement.

I'm appreciative of the updates Minelab has released. Even if no more updates come along, this is still an incredible machine. :minelab:

No, you misunderstood what I said. I do not work for Minelab, and what I said was Yes there would be updates in the future as the software evolves. That was my personal opinion, But I never said when or how many.

This is an interesting topic thou. I can understand that some users would not want to pay for an update. Why would someone want to pay for one when the price tag is $2,500.00. On the other hand, I don't know any other machine that is customizable and updateable either. I try to rationalize this in my Pea-sized brain and came up with this analogy. Say you buy a vehicle. The vehicle come with base options. If you want more, you pay more. Just a thought. As it is, we all have a bad a$$ machine that is WAY above the competition. Just like any company, Minelab has employees, and Minelab has to pay their employees. To write a code for a specific upgrade does take time and money. The question then is, Should Minelab eat the cost of making a few people happy? From what I have read, it seems to me the most asked update requested so far is extra bins.

Digger has gone thru this already, but there is a difference between Updates and Upgrades. My thinking would be updates are just improving the firmware to fix glitches, the operation of existing features, etc. Upgrades are additional features or improving features so they will do more than they currently do. I use a comparison to computers: When Microsoft releases a new version of a Windows operating system, I have never been offered or received a free upgrade of the new Version. However, they do provide free updates to the existing versions, for repairing glitches, etc. I never questioned the additional cost of upgrading to a new version with a PC or cell phone, so I would not expect (I would like it though) a free upgrade for another product. We have received an update and a FREE upgrade already, and Minelab addressed things that were reported on this website. The R&D of these upgrades or updates just can't be "cranked" out over night, just because we want them "now". Any changes to the operation or addition of features, has to be checked to determine how it may interact with the existing features. I will just be patient and see what follows in regards to updates and upgrades. Maybe I will be more proficient with the current features when any possible improvements are released..............HH

Minelab is keeping tabs on the "software update" requests, over on the Resource Center. In fact, the Pinpoint was brought about by a suggestion on that list. Unfortunately, many of the ideas posted more recently have been "repeats" of a suggestion posted earlier. (which reminds me...I need to go clean those up). I encourage those who have "software upgrade" ideas to review those already posted. And if your idea is new, share it with us. Thanks. HH Randy

Wow What a great post. For starters i would definitely pay for more upgrades on the CTX. The sole purpose of these upgrades would be designed to increase the performance of the detector which would mean increasing the possibility of more finds,faster, and more accurately.They should sell these upgrade functions individually or in mix n match bundles that way you wouldn't be paying for something you don't want or need. Don't know if this sounds stupid but I think a really neat function would be a target tone match function. So for example people from the UK make a visit to America and they don't know what an Indian head penny sounds like in 50 tone conductive mode they can play the tone on the detector after they detect a signal and see if the tone from the target in the ground closely relates to tone the detector plays back for them. Kinda like having a sound simulator built into the detector using sound wav files from hundreds of different types of coins around the world.So this way if i were to travel to England i would be able to recognize what their coins sound like. Good luck

Did you really ever think they were going to give you Windows 8 with all of their hours of development to get where they got with it? In fact if Microsoft would have had their way through the last 8 years or so you'd have paid $150 for Windows Vista, $200 more for Windows 7, Ultimate and another $150 for Windows 8. And personally except for Vista I think you'd have gotten your moneys worth out of both Windows 7 and the new Windows 8. XP was solid as a rock in it's day but improvements came. Some took advantage and others complained. I can't wait to get a Windows 8 phone to share data easily with my Windows 8 home machine. And I'll be paying for all these enhancements.

If you're the leader or one of those perceived to be right at the cutting edge in a field I'm betting major improvements in software will come at a cost and rightly so.

Just my take...

Guvner..

How much would you pay to trade up to the CTX 4040?

Many that own the CTX own it because it is the latest and greatest ML detector with features that set it apart from the Etrac, 705, etc. For the most part they did not buy because their old detector quit being able to find things.

ML could make some substantial upgrades to the CTX software and screen interface change the colors and label and call it a CTX 4040. How many would sell or trade their 3030 and end up with it costing them several hundred to trade up.

When viewed that way does $20 or even $50 for some serious upgrades seem out of line?

I would definatly pay for upgrades particularly the ones I posted as any thing that can help me be more productve is worth having!
And I think if they knew we were willing to pay they might have one of their software guys build them for us.

The other day I even rang coiltek to hastle them about making a 15in and a 10x5in coil for the CTX too and I'm willing to pay for those too! As I loved them on the etrac and believe they would be absolute weapons on the CTX.

With windows you did not have to pay for the updates. They came free. Now if you wanted to upgrade to another version, for example go from XP to windows 7 you did have to pay for that. In my opinion that would have been an upgrade. One of the reasons I did not mind paying the price for the 3030 was the idea that I would be getting free updates in the future. Maybe not a total software upgrade but updates and software changes, fixes, etc.

Bill_S said:
With windows you did not have to pay for the updates. They came free. Now if you wanted to upgrade to another version, for example go from XP to windows 7 you did have to pay for that. In my opinion that would have been an upgrade. One of the reasons I did not mind paying the price for the 3030 was the idea that I would be getting free updates in the future. Maybe not a total software upgrade but updates and software changes, fixes, etc.

This is a new era in technology which is revolutionizing the metal detector industry. No longer does electronic devices/equipment exist in the relatively limited realm of hardwired and discrete circuits/functions. In an era where processor based, software driven and controlled, intelligent devices are the orders of the day, the method/strategy of designing, developing, producing and marketing of metal detectors is bound to change. With this new technology and versatility, no longer should the customer be expected to necessarily purchase new hardware to achieve new/improved function. Considering processor capability (IE, processor/memory size & speed, architecture/instruction set, etc), software based improvements, fixes, updates, new function, etc, can be implemented in software (Micro_Code). The business strategy for releasing different software updates/fixes (free or paid) has been considered, I'm sure. Hopefully free for updates to improve short comings with existing features/functions (IE, interface, screen view-ability/custom-ability, etc). For upgrades (IE, new functions, features and releases I would expect some kind of reasonable fee based system, especially after having paid $2500.00 for the existing CTX. 3030. As you stated in your windows case If you want to upgrade to a new version, you purchase a new software release, not necessarily new hardware. Improvements for existing functions, short comings and bug fixes I would expect to be timely and free.