Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Post brought over from Resource center: Software update suggestions for CTX 3030.....Feel free to join the discussion....

I'd pay for the firmware upgrade that would give me new or additional features. For example, ability to display several stored geohunts would be in my mind an upgrade.
Updates, I expect to be free. For example, changing functionality of the On/Off button so it would require a long push to turn the detector off, I'd consider to be an update. Actually, IMHO it would be a bug fix.

If they update the software I would want a seperated menu that shows both the current time and battery status. As it is now you only see these things on the screen with a microscope. and I have 20/20 vision.

I want a way to be able to combine Geohunts with old ones in the same area.

Just be able to merge the two files.

flhunter said:
I want a way to be able to combine Geohunts with old ones in the same area.

Just be able to merge the two files.

In Xchange, igf you have geohunts (from the same area) in the same collection, they all display at the same time. No need to combine.
At the moment, AFAIK, saved geohunts can not be displayed by CTX. If and when Minelab upgrades the firmware so saved geohunts can be displayed on the CTX's screen while a new one is recorded, I would like to be able to to combine several saved ones into one file.
Still, the first (and to me) the most important part is the ability to display saved geohunts on CTX's screen.
Why do I keep repeating myself? So others start asking for the same thing. I know that Minelab listens but, I also know that they listen better when more people are asking for the same thing so,
keep asking for it! Hopefully, the squeaky wheel will get the grease.

squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, ..................................................... squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak,
heck, it would be an upgrade I'd willingly pay for! :poke:

How about an alphabetical screen to that you could rename FindPoints, WayPoints, GeoHunts, and Programs?

Being able to reorganize the modes on the CTX, would be nice also. The only way that I have figured out how to do it was to drag the modes from the CTX to a collection in Exchange, delete them from the CTX, and drag them back in the order that I want them to appear.

I hunt in the piedmont area of North Carolina mostly - much red dirt, high mineralization. I hunt in many old areas that are iron infested which combined with high mineralization is a challenge for any detector. If I made any suggestions for software(or hardware) upgrades it would be the following::
1. Raise the recovery response time to at least 5.0 from 2.0 (E-trac 1.5). There is one other new detector that has accomplished this but falls short in many other areas. I know Minelab can do this and my guess is they are already looking at this enhancement. The blanking becomes less of an issue.
2. Provide an option where specific ferrous/conductive values(12-40,12-41, 12-10 etc etc) can be programmed in for a audio response that is looped into the specific VID display numbers. That audio response controlled by the VID ferrous/conductive identification numbers would be the primary audio response loop under this option, nulling out all other ground sounds and other ferrous/conductive responses from the coil, other than the numbers that were programmed. This would help on the reliance of having to visually detect from the nulled or blanked VID numbers flashing across the screen because of ground conditons and it sure would make this hobby more enjoyable. Thanks

OK I have a few ideas:

First, An "ignore tone/target when depth is < or > x" This would be very easy to implement and very useful.

How would you use it? Lets say you have a brand new site. You set the ctx to "ignore tone/target when depth is < 4(inches)". Now all deep iron and targets are ignored allowing you to clean all the surface stuff out and you can progressively clean out a site "in layers".

Would it really work? Well if the processor speed is quick enough, which I believe it is, then yes. All this would take is adding a fair amount of code to the software.

Second, What I call the "third number". Let's say a copper penny comes in at 12-43 and worn silver dime at an angle comes in at the same. The addition of a third number might differentiate the two. So, a copper penny at 12-43.(lets say 0-5) i.e. 12-43.2 and the worn silver dime at an angle 12-43.(lets say 5-9) I.e. 12-43.6 so you would be able to see that it reads higher. Now this is a perfect world example and there are a ton of variables that would throw the numbers off however, it might help your decision to dig. As a side, this might help with iron falsing as I would expect the "third number" would be higher. So like 12-45.(5-9)? im not sure, just a guess at this point :)

Would it really work? Well the whole thing here is, can the processor see the speed difference in the signal between the two when they are that close in TID? After all, that's what we are talking about here is adding an additional number that represents the time it takes the signal to go to the target and back. It could accomplish this by taking the "third number" and averaging it out as you pass over the target several times. This type of upgrade would be difficult to implement IMO and would improve your odds of digging better targets by an unknown (im guessing small) percentage. But it would be great to have.

Third, More accurate depth indicator by adding half inches. This would be similar to what was stated above. So if the "third number" could be achieved, then this would be easy to do as this deals with time as well.

Let's face it. Our biggest enemies here are Iron falsing, zinc pennies, copper pennies, aluminum, and depth. Unfortunately, the only way around the first four is a detector that can analyze metal compisition. As for depth, that can be overcome, eventually.

Howard Snell said:
New Idea

Now that we have a clock I would like a total hunt time counter.
This way we know the mileage on the machine.

You can already do that. Xchange 2 will show you start and end time for each hunt as long as you record the hunt.

How about target I.D. Normalization added so we only have to remember one set of numbers. I believe the XP DEUS just did this in 3.0.

I just got a update idea how about a low tide tracker, with the gps function that would work out well. I don't know if that thing has enough hard drive space though.

I just discovered that the CTX 3030 ($2500.00 Detector) does not have an auto power down feature. I don't know why, but I guess I just assumed that a metal detector in this class would have this feature (turn off after a certain period of inactivity) as do most of my other top of the line detectors. In any case I learned the hard way when I forgot to turn the power off and discovered the next day that the batteries were completely dead. As I couldn't believe that this was the case, I put a new set of batteries in the detector, turned it on and left it for three hours and yes after three hours sitting idle it was still on.

Auto Power-Down - After a certain period (preferably customizable) of inactivity, would be a very welcomed and useful feature.

I've got one: A way to disable that annoying "hey everyone look at me and come ask stupid questions!" Start up tone!!
It was neat like the first 2 times I heard it, now it is just like a dog whistle for busy bodies. So a way to toggle it off in Exchange 2 would be much appreciated!

BootyHunter said:
I've got one: A way to disable that annoying "hey everyone look at me and come ask stupid questions!" Start up tone!!
It was neat like the first 2 times I heard it, now it is just like a dog whistle for busy bodies. So a way to toggle it off in Exchange 2 would be much appreciated!

Let me clarify this, I use the WM-10, which I think is an amazing accessory by the way, and the sound of the start-up jingle comes through the detector speaker when using the WM-10. Now I don't know if using headphones directly connected to the CTX causes the start up tone to only come through the headphones or not but that is what I suspect. It would be nice if the detector could have the start up tone toggled off soif you are Using the WM-10 it does not play it through the detector at start up. Thankd

CTX-3030 suggested improvements:

01. Software toggle to silence startup audio (already mentioned - plays even with headphones plugged in - most annoying)
02. Software control to darken/lighten screen contrast (currently washed out in sunlight need more contrast adjustment)
03. Hardware: make adjustable swivel for screen (turn toward the user so easier to see)
04. Software setting for Auto + 3, +4, +5, + 6, ect. (why stop at + 3?)
05. Software addition that gives target confidence display set to common US coins (e.g. 20% Nickel indicates probable pull-tab)
06. Software change to increase number of programmable pattern bin segments to include divided combined mode bins.
07. Software to made audio tones user uploadable wave files for customization of audio bins
08. Software/processing change to add Boost Mode similar to T2/F75SE for overdrived performance
09. Hardware: make a 6" co-axial concentric coil (DD isn't the only game in town especially when minerals aren't overwhelming)
10. Software addition in conjunction with FindPoint to allow entering quick find/text data/info while still in the field
11. Software/processing change to add Gold Mode for supersensitivity toward tiny low conductors (i.e., for beaches with tiny/micro gold jewelry)
12. Software/processing that makes the audio tones fast, like a T2/F75SE/Deus/GMP wherein nulling is gone around iron nails

Go get'm Minelab Phd types.

How about an audio boost for the stock yellow and gg water proof headphones so you can actually hear your target in a noisy beach environment.

"Digger" is spot-on. He separates quite articulately the differences between Updates and Upgrades. Enough said here. IMHO, and given that I spend $hundreds a year, if not more, on software Upgrades, I would support of fee (reasonable of course). Upgrades should be free, and hopefully, like the "Salty Water" would add functionality much as promised by ML.
While it s self-serving, part of my reasoning for buying this incredible detector, WAS that it was upgradable/upgradeable unit unlike any detector before the CTX. The unit performs better than every other unit I have, but that's "me", not necessarily you. The spec on this machine make it potentially capable of mastering much more than it does. It's processor is amongst he fastest of any out there. I would gladly offer incentives for the stretching of its capabilities, obviously for something that was of value, not minor.
My personal "wish" is that an algorithm be developed to allow the CTX to be used for nugget shooting, more sensitive to Gold detection.
Best to all owners of this amazing detector.
Dave