Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Post brought over from Resource center: Software update suggestions for CTX 3030.....Feel free to join the discussion....

I woudln't mind an alarm on the ctx. It has a clock so why not have an alarm. So you can set it before you hunt instead of always looking at the time an alarm can let you know if your time is up if you have a limited time to detect.
Les

There are so many good suggestions here! I too have a suggestion for the clock, why not move it to a location where it's visible all the time? And I second the idea of having XChange 2 available for Mac users. I would be willing to pay for the upgrade - maybe in the form of a CD. As it stands we have to forgo this benefit or pay in some other way to utilize this option.

I had to look back at the brochure for the CTX before it was available to clarify what they had said about upgrades or updates...
In it there was a blurb about Software Upgrades and to look for exciting new developments from Minelab. I suppose it didn't say that they would be free, but in my mind I figured that they were going to be since it didn't say they would have to be purchased.
[attachment 272851 upgrades.JPG]
And this was in the Update from October of 2012, (the last time the machine was updated), again they talk about future proof detecting through updates and upgrades. They don't say a thing about Visa or Mastercard accepted to get them
[attachment 272852 Capture2.JPG]

My gosh since the last upgrade it has been about 297 days!

Hello Minelab? Is anyone home? We are here about the updates, and upgrades you touted.

Regarding the poor clock placement that Smittyman mentioned. From practically day one we all probably realized that the clock placement was wrong, and so we have mentioned it here numerous times, hopefully Minelab will take notice and change that.

Alright, I am done venting....

Might seem odd but I'd like an indoor feature. Something that shuts the coil down. When I plug my machine in or just turn it on to create modes etc I'm always trying to position it so I don't detect my desk or other furniture. I suppose I could make a pattern that discriminates it all but it's just a thought.

Pay to update? No, updates should be included with any purchase so no, we should not have to pay for updates but, I would be willing to pay for an upgrade.
Don

Regarding updates & the many suggestions that have been made by members that would improve the CTX3030. GkMan mentioned in a previous post that it has been around 297 days since the last update, October of 2012. This doesn't really surprise me since Minelab seems to have a culture of "Snail Slow" when it come to to responding to customer requests/suggestions. I have owned Minelab detectors since the original Sovereign and they have always been this way, seems to be in their DNA. I remember when I purchased the Explorer XS, the first thing that I suggested to enhance the detector was to put a grid on the screen to help with readability/better target determination for the cross hairs. They said that they would consider it and it took around 10 years for them to finally include this on the CTX3030 (thanks minelab). It took so long that I finally designed a grid template for the screens of my Explorers (XS, EX II, EX SE) & E-Trac myself, which was a great improvement. The same thing happened when users pleaded for a faster processor for the Explorers. I took Minelab several years/models to finally include this on the E-Trac which was as anticipated by users a big improvement over the Explorers when it came to target separation etc. I can understand this to some degree because these were all new/non software upgradeable models with each having to go through the typical hardware/software development/test cycles.

The CTX 3030 is a totally different animal which was designed as a software driven/upgradeable machine. From my knowledge of programmable micro processors all that should have to be done is to develop/upgrade/test the software within the defined functions/capabilities of the processor (ARM) architecture (microcode instruction set). I am quite familiar with ARM processor's data flow and architecture. This processor ARM is very powerful and should, I would think be able to support many of the functions/changes requested by customer's with very little impact to existing performance. I don't want to get into trouble here but with the unbelievable advancements in memory size/density/coupled with such a processor as (ARM), I would think that this machine could be programmed with many really awesome features. Shucks, a certain competitor (no name) which uses this processor included a complete user guide & tips for instance.

Oh well maybe in another 10 years we will get some of the improvements/features that we are requesting. In any case Minelab you still produce some of the best/most innovative detectors in the world, we just want to help make them better!

Enough said!

I think there should be an option to select coil size. Maybe this will correct depth gauge. Also, would be nice to select a boost or selective power option for deeper penetration. User could decide whether the battery was worth the extra power. Lastly, just some periodic updates to machine, as I know they have not stopped working on technology for next generation machine. But I guess that would impact sale of new machine. However, we were sold on the ability for updates.... Now lets see em!!!

I would like to selectively turn on recorded geohunts. Lets say I am recording my sixth hunt - I would like to turn on hunt # 1 and # 3 to overlay and see where I have been.

when I have the gps map screen up, the little man has to go all the way to the edge before it re-centers. seem like it is always at the edge and I can't see where I am going.
I would like the map to re-center every 20 seconds, or when it is half way to the edge instead of all the way, or force it to re-center when I switch to hunt mode then back to map mode.

I scanned through the 5 pages of suggestions and did not see this simple to fix little suggestion.......when using the WM10 module, the headphone jack on the machine is left wide open for dirt, dust and moisture to get inside. A simple little cover or plug would be nice, especially if on a tether so that it would not get lost. The other option is to go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase a rubber plug that fits in the hole or put a piece of tape over it.

#2. Make it recognize and alert the user to aluminum (large or small) and gold. I'd be happy to pay a little more for the machine if it could do that!! :thumbup:

P.S. Could someone please explain "Locking Pinpoint"......I can find nothing on it, other than the mention in the very first post.

Locking Pinpoint gives you the option to pinpoint targets without having to keep the Pinpoint Trigger pressed. Simply press it once to turn Pinpoint on and then again to turn Pinpoint off. This feature is enabled via the Options menu.

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/115754/ctx-3030-upgrade-brochure.pdf

[attachment 276597 activatingpinpointlock.jpg]

Thank you, Digger!! And, thanks for posting that upgrade brochure. My CTX already had all the updates/upgrades on it when I got it.......I'm still in the learning mode, but, coming on quickly. Made my first "GeoHunt" the other day. I was wondering how to superimpose my tracks onto the Google maps, until I clicked on my stored hunt and, Presto!, it was already there!! Pretty amazing, and, my find points were all listed, as well. I still have a long way to go to become proficient, but, I am a very determined old f*rt.

Just thought of another option I would like to see available in the Tones department.

50 Tone-Combined.

This would allow users to run an open screen, have more tone seperation over just the 4 tones, and still HEAR the iron grunt.

MInelab, write that down. :smoke:

I would definitely think true upgrades to software and firmware that truly enhance the abilities and functionality of the CTX 3030 would be well worth the price of $20.00. Any fixes to existing known issues should remain free. If done by a company other than Mine lab then it would have to be an accredited company sanctioned by ML.

Just think how cool it is that upgrades to our machines CAN be made to improve or add extra functionality for us! If others do not want to pay up to $20 then they can run stock! Buyers choice!
Great topic thanks for posting it!

McClod

McClod, If Minelab had originally stated that there would be a fee for upgrades then I could care less about twenty dollars, but you will find no mention of having to pay (or not pay for that matter) but if they planned from the beginning to make us pay for these types of things then they should have stated it clearly somewhere.

At this point I am annoyed at Minelab since they seem to have circled the wagons and are not saying a thing. Hell, put out a teaser video of new features coming soon..Dangle a carrot or throw us a bone, show us that you still care about your current and future customers.

Are you a CTX user McClod? We haven't seen you round these parts before...

I personally would much prefer paying for periodical upgrades that improve performance and add functionality. It would be far better, and less expensive than having those features put into a new machine (4040 example used before) and have to lay out thousands of dollars in cash for a new machine.

Look at the gaming industry for example, the PS 3 came out and came with some games, as newer better games came out you could choose to buy them or not. Firmware updates increased some functionality and fixes issues. Some games (programs) cost more than others because they're better, and/or more compiles and entertaining.

To me, this is the same thing many of us are hoping for here. Sure, eventually down the road the technology improves so much that the current platform can no longer support it so the manufacturer has to develop a new platform for it. At that point we individually decide if its worth the money to buy the new platform ie CTX 4040 or keep our 3030, which we have been fortunately able to improve with the better capabilities of our choice through frequent upgrades to make it a better over all machine.

If they are working to developed these enhancements why would we expect them to work for free? We bought the machine and paid the price based on its performance and its capabilities, anything else, with the exception of firmware updates to resolve issues is extra!

Wouldn't that be good?

McClod said:
I personally would much prefer paying for periodical upgrades that improve performance and add functionality. It would be far better, and less expensive than having those features put into a new machine (4040 example used before) and have to lay out thousands of dollars in cash for a new machine.

* Don't know about you McClod, but this is one of the things that was attractive about the CTX 3030 in the first place (at least for me) software upgrade-ability, so as to not worry about the expense of buying a completely new machine every year or two (been there/done that). And in case you haven't been following industry practices very much, it is not uncommon at all for software updates/upgrades to be free for a product as expensive as the CTX 3030 (especially for the first year or two) and Minelab didn't specify the conditions (free or not) for their updates/upgrades, which is part of the confusion. This all should have been spelled out in the first place as others have previously mentioned.

Look at the gaming industry for example, the PS 3 came out and came with some games, as newer better games came out you could choose to buy them or not. Firmware updates increased some functionality and fixes issues. Some games (programs) cost more than others because they're better, and/or more compiles and entertaining.

* Games for the PS 3 are separate entities than the PS 3 (hardware/underlying control programming) itself. The CTX (hardware/underlying control microcode/firmware) is the entity that is the CTX 3030. Not a valid comparison as I see it.

To me, this is the same thing many of us are hoping for here. Sure, eventually down the road the technology improves so much that the current platform can no longer support it so the manufacturer has to develop a new platform for it. At that point we individually decide if its worth the money to buy the new platform ie CTX 4040 or keep our 3030, which we have been fortunately able to improve with the better capabilities of our choice through frequent upgrades to make it a better over all machine.

* Not hoping for, demanding (whether we are charged or not), since Minelab promised this in their sales pitch/brochure as others have mentioned previously. Just wondering what's taking so long, been a year and a half now (took less time than that between the release of the hardwired Explorer SE & E-Trac)!

If they are working to developed these enhancements why would we expect them to work for free? We bought the machine and paid the price based on its performance and its capabilities, anything else, with the exception of firmware updates to resolve issues is extra!

* As stated above because they (Minelab) didn't spell out the conditions (free or not free/time frame). I purchased the machine because of the advertised features/functions (and the promise of software updates/upgrades) and because it was a departure from the old hardwired development/production model of the past.

Wouldn't that be good?

Hi GKman,

Yes I am new around the forum in general and the CTX specifically having just got mine a week ago. So I wasn't aware of what Minelab said they would do as far as update and upgrades so perhaps I posted from an uninformed point of view.

My apologies if I unintentionally stepped on anyones toes here! I was only posting my thoughts on what I felt would under most conditions would be an update or upgrade that could be expected as free or one that would be made available for a price based on other products. I definately did not intend to make it sound like I would agree to Minelab charging users for for upgrades that they used as selling points by saying users could expect them for free.

Like I said, I am a CTX User just recently and I have appreciated very much the help I have received in reply to a question or 2 I had posted and received replys to from more experienced users including yourself and did not mean to stir the pot here. I can see that I did just that by jumping in half cocked so to you and Altamaha and others, please accept my apology for popping off without having the whole story first.

I know software updates are expected from many vendors putting out hardware that depends on their software to run correctly and that anything that can be fixed or improved by a software update should be and normally would be free.

But there is a point to which any any software upgrade can go to that it would go above and beyond what could be expected to be free and that was what I posted for. Not to say "by all means Minelab, forget about your promises in your promotions and charge us for what you said you would do for free and what should be expected for free".

That was not how I meant to come across at all! I walked into this party a new guy, I probably should have been a wall flower a little longer! HH

Don

Nice to have you on board Don!

I did submit a valid bug report last year (I even made a video demonstrating it) http://youtu.be/uFRL73QR2qE Maybe it wasnt that big of a deal but I was told that they would get back to me but I havent heard from them

I have been a strong supporter of Minelab detectors ever since the Explorer series came out. I had the Explorer and was more than happy to upgrade to the Explorer SE (both great detectors) I also had the two latest Excaliburs. I like them both but I really did like the screen on the Explorer (the Excalibur didnt have that) When I heard about this new Minelab coming out with a screen and yet was capable of being used in the water I was super stoked. I remember when we were all waiting patiently for it to finally come out. And the fact that they gave me the impression that there would be software updates and enhancments ... that was a no brainer..After all MINELAB = QUALITY ... Im in (The Explorer and Excalibur are top quality detectors to this day)
My jaw dropped when I first heard about the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I soon got over that (I have never spent so much on any detector). No problem. . I sold my Explorer and Excalibur (Im not rich and my finds supplement my income...and I have made some truly great finds that makes it well worth it) Anyway....I jumped right in and was feeling great about this new detector...but all of a sudden my screen started getting all these rainbow colors all over it and I contacted the Minelab dealer here in Canada and they sent me a brand new detector ( this was before they stated that this was NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) No worries..it just cost me $100 (insured) to ship it back to Eastern Canada because Im on the west coast and they sent me a brand new one.
My new detector works great but I still get the rainbow effect, its just not as bad as the first one I had.

My question is this: If they ever fix that problem (Please, dont try and tell that this isnt an issue) am I SOL because I was in at the very beginning? (that would pretty well lower the value of my high value product)

Starting to feel a little let down at the moment especially with all this stuff going on and hoping that it will all be resolved soon and we can all go back to being HAPPY MINELAB USERS

Have a great day
Ron L