Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Post brought over from Resource center: Software update suggestions for CTX 3030.....Feel free to join the discussion....

I have sent this suggestion to Minelab as a way to save the Screenshots we create on the CTX.

Snapshots/Screenshots can't be saved to the CTX internal memory. These Screenshots are a very important tool in learning and sharing information with other CTX users. See Possible Solutions below:
a) Update CTX software to allow this; if possible.
b) Update software to allow screenshots to be saved to a thumb drive; if possible.
c) Release documentation to show how to backup Screenshots to a USB Host compatible Smartphone. This can easily be done now with the use of a UTG (On-The-Go) cable connected to a USB Host compatible Smartphone and then connected to the CTX 3030. The Smartphone will then see the CTX as a Mass Storage Device and allow you to copy the Screenshots (PNG files) easily. It works great on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

How To (condensed).
Once you have saved some Screenshots to your CTX, you can save them to your USB Host Compatible Smartphone as outlined below. You will need the following: Compatible Smartphone, CTX 3030, USB OTG cable and the USB cable that came with your detector.
1. Smartphone that has USB Host compatibility. This example is using a Samsung Galaxy S4. You will have to find out if your phone has this feature. I think most Android phones with version 3.1 or above will work (don't hold me to this; you'll have to find out for yourself).
2. Use a USB Host OTG cable (found online cheap). This cable consist of a 5 pin USB Type B micro male end connected to a 4 pin USB Type A female end. FYI pins 4 and 5 are connected together, so a standard cable will not work. The female end will connect to the cable that came with your CTX 3030 which has a USB Type B male end and a USB Type A male end.
3. Plug the micro end of the OTG cable into your Smartphone (it should be turned on). You will see a message in the status area that says "USB connector connected" Figure 1.
4. With the CTX on and your Screenshots created, plug the USB cable that came with the CTX into the detector.
5. Now plug this cable into the OTG cable. You will see the message "USB mass storage connected". Figure 2.
6. You should then see "Saving screenshot.....". Note the screenshots are NOT saved to your phone yet. Figure 3.
7. You will now see a screen with a CTX3030.MLX and a screenshots folder. Figure 4.
8. Open the Screenshot folder, and you will see a list of the screenshots you took. Figure 5.
9. Now, check the screenshots you want to copy to your phone. Figure 6.
10. Now touch the button in the upper right corner of the screen to allow you to copy these files and select copy or move. Figure 7.
11. Now navigate to the folder where you want to store the files. In my case, it's a folder named Screenshots on my SD card. Select the folder to open it. Figure 8
12. Now select Paste here, and you'll see your Screenshots show up. Your Screenshots are now copied to your Smartphone. Figure 9.
13. Screenshot examples. Figures 10-15.

You can find several YouTube videos that show how to use your Smartphone with USB Mass Storage via the OTG cable.

Findpoint should show different information when creating. Displaying the Lat and Long on this screen seems useless. It would make much more sense to show the depth, target separation, and possibly the mode.

When creating a Findpoint, I find it more logical to start the process, but don't save the Findpoint until the target has been dug. Then you can decide if you want to save it or not. This is much easier than deleting it later; if desired. In doing this, it would be helpful to be able to see the depth, and at least the Target Separation. I'm sure no one gets any benefit from seeing the Latitude and Longitude at this point. Of course, this information is important, but it is saved with the Findpoint anyway. An even better option would be to allow the user to select what items he/she wants displayed on this screen.

I don't know how many times I've started the process to create a Findpoint, and forgot what depth the target was supposed to be, and at times the Target Separation as it sometimes makes a difference in the FE and CO values.

Nice examples, great idea..

When you click on a Findpoint on the XChange 2 software, you should be shown the FE, CO and Depth and possibly the Target Separation and Mode. You shouldn't have to click edit to see this information. Displaying a thumbnail of any image stored with this FindPoint would also be a great addition.

The Snapshot feature will not work in Pinpoint mode. It should be possible to allow this via some software changes.

PinPoint Type should be displayed on the status screen especially if you are using the User Button to switch between Standard and Sizing. It is very easy to get confused as to which one you are using.

Fix GeoHunt lockup problem - GeoHunt locks up after performing a mode edit. The workaround is to pause GeoHunt before performing edit. Minelab is aware of this bug.

Status Bar is too small. See Possible Solutions below:
a) Increase the size of bar and move "time" from the center where it don't get covered up by Target ID Panel.
b) Add an option on the User button to display full screen status when needed.

The XChange 2 / Google Maps software will not allow enough zoom when you have created a GeoHunt with lots of Findpoints in a small area making it hard to see where a particular find came from. This is a limitation of Google Maps.

Possible Solutions:
1) Provide the ability to export the GeoHunts, Waypoints and Findpoints via GPX format so they can be used with other mapping program.
2) In addition to the above, provide a de-clutter feature that will only show selected Findpoints and Waypoints.

With the XChange 2 software, it is very easy to overwrite a GeoHunt, Waypoint or Findpoint. If you have a Collection that already has a GH01, a FP001 and a WP001, and you drag new items from the CTX that has the same names into the collection, the original items get copied over, with no warning. Please either change the nomenclatures to be continuous (Ex. GH001-GH999, FP0001-FP9999, etc.) In other words, don't reset the numbers every time the CTX is cleared. Give the user an option to reset these when he wants. Or, change the software where it automatically renames duplicates to prevent overwriting or at least warns you. I've been renaming my GeoHunt by date (ex: GH20131229) which helps, but takes time. Maybe that's the answer: Tie the names to the date when they were created.

Anyway, these are a few suggestions with some possible solutions that I think the Minelab engineers need to look into. I put a lot of work and into this, so I hope you will at least take a look at them. The Minelab CTX 3030 is a great machine, but as in everything, there is room for improvements and since the software can be updated easily, why not.

I hope my post is appropriate for this area. I feel like I have been left out in the cold as far as upgrades. I can't even download my DVD for the exchange program. I am a MAC user. I feel that Minelab is not doing enough to help the MAC user. I realize that there are more Windows PC users, so they catered to them. I would like some sound advise from a Minelab. What are my options as a MAC user? I read a few posts on the site of what others are doing. I would like some advise from Minelab. Being the holidays I can't contact them by phone, all their voice mail boxes are full. I haven't got that far to think about upgrades. Can someone please give me some sound advise? I am very confused as to what is even on the exchange DVD. When I get this worked out I will worry about upgrades.

Jim

I feel your pain on that JerseyJim, I am surprised that Minelab hasn't came out with a Mac compatible app. Most likely the easiest thing for you to do would be to pick up a cheap Windows laptop, ask a friend to use theirs, or plug it in at a library PC after installing the Exchange software. The Exchange software is going to allow you to load different setups from other CTX users, manage your CTX's settings, including waypoints and findpoints, and load firmware updates. Honestly, I haven't plugged mine in for many months, and most likely a lot of other users don't either for long periods of time, so at this point I can honestly say don't feel like your missing out on much.

As far as upgrades go, if you have the pinpoint lock and saltwater mode on your CTX then you have the latest and greatest.. A lot of us are hoping for an upgrade soon since it has been over a year since the last one.

PS.. there are probably hundreds of cheaper laptops you could purchase on Craigslist in your area. Just don't get a mini laptop. I tried that and the resolution of the app wouldn't adjust down properly to my maximum Dell Mini resolution, so the app was pretty much useless

The XChange 2 software should provide the length of each GeoHunt. Every handheld GPS I've ever used provides this information; including the App on my Smartphone. The XChange 2 software will show you how long you hunted, but not how far. It would be nice to know the elevation changes within a hunt also. Showing the distance of each GeoHunt, WayPoint and FindPoint to the center of the map seems useless to me. Come on Minelab, get with the program.

GateKeeper said:
No, you misunderstood what I said. I do not work for Minelab, and what I said was Yes there would be updates in the future as the software evolves. That was my personal opinion, But I never said when or how many.

This is an interesting topic thou. I can understand that some users would not want to pay for an update. Why would someone want to pay for one when the price tag is $2,500.00. On the other hand, I don't know any other machine that is customizable and updateable either. I try to rationalize this in my Pea-sized brain and came up with this analogy. Say you buy a vehicle. The vehicle come with base options. If you want more, you pay more. Just a thought. As it is, we all have a bad a$$ machine that is WAY above the competition. Just like any company, Minelab has employees, and Minelab has to pay their employees. To write a code for a specific upgrade does take time and money. The question then is, Should Minelab eat the cost of making a few people happy? From what I have read, it seems to me the most asked update requested so far is extra bins.

That is a good point Gatekeeper. My wife has a Honda with a GPS if you want to update they charge you.I think it is $350, It is the same thing. They give you all the changes in the streets and highways that were made in the last five years or so. I don't know why the average person would needs them. I am not sure if I would pay if Minelab charged for up-dates on the CTX.
Jim

I found out later from Minelab, that you can't easily overwright an item.

Great post. I most definitely would pay more for upgrades. One of the reasons that I purchased the CTX was because of its capability of being able to upgrade. I hope that Minelab builds on the great foundation that is the CTX or allows others to.

Not sure if it has been mentioned... Just this morning I dug an iffy signal Reale. After I was trying to remember the exact numbers and how it sounded, I thought it sure would be nice if the machine would record audio and screen for later playbacks. Could be triggered by a running buffer that would over write at 5 mins When needed, could press button to save that file on machine. Could retrieve on PC and playback later. I guess could be triggered by find point too. Think it would be an awesome leaning tool! ???

mcb613 said:
Not sure if it has been mentioned... Just this morning I dug an iffy signal Reale. After I was trying to remember the exact numbers and how it sounded, I thought it sure would be nice if the machine would record audio and screen for later playbacks. Could be triggered by a running buffer that would over write at 5 mins When needed, could press button to save that file on machine. Could retrieve on PC and playback later. I guess could be triggered by find point too. Think it would be an awesome leaning tool! ???

I have thought the same thing. So many times those iffy targets are crap but when they turn into something nice it would be nice to be have the pre-dig data to be able to analyze.

I've used the Etrac for 33 months & have find over 350 silver coins, which is my main target.

I hear people don't lie the ctx coming from the etrac, due to lack of tone. The worst thing you want is seasoned brand users mad at your newest flagship detector. Sales will drop off because of exactly what we see here, which is, Minelab didn't do it right. They are really close & can fix all our wishes & wants with updates. My friend says they won't because it will kill etrac sales completely. But the main reason people buy what they can is because of money, their own budget. The etrac could be lowered in price, sales will increase & then the CTX would be the upgrade they've always wanted. "If" it sounds the same.

My list of wants:
1. Etrac tones
2. More bins or allow user control of how many
3. In 50 conductive, allow user pitch control on each segment plus an level tones. This could be the same as #2 above

And there are many other great ideas here, but the above are my top 3. I feel we've paid good money, but I wouldn't be outside the idea of paying for them, but don't feel we should. To me, Minelab didn't complete the detector as it should have been made.

Well, I guess that's why there's a spell check vs an edit button. I haven't posted enough to know better.

Corrected text from above.
metaldetectingoregon said:
I hear people don't like...

3. In 50 conductive, allow user pitch control on each segment plus an adjustable or fixed iron level tone......

The question is, "Does Minelab use their own detectors?" Because you know dang well they would have questioned the same issues. And if so, why didn't they address them?