Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Totally Confused

gare-oh

This Machine is giving me fits. A lot of people on here have tried helping me and I WANT to thank each and every one who has tried helping me. A few weeks ago i was detecting with another 3030 user. He came up on a iffy signal and I could not get a reading. He had set my machine up EXACTLY as his. Same size coil and i could not hit it. Out of the ground popped a 1954 dime :( WE both had tried hitting the spot all the different ways and i could not get a locked u\on signal like him. Now in the past 3 weeks i have tried various settingsd and even changed coils. In the year and a half i have never found one piece of silver. I have found clad dimes. Today i went out and found a 1846 large cent at about 7 inches that read 1-35 . I could not get a good repeatable signal on the large cent either. I also found a 1923 wheatie at 5 inches. At about 6 inches i pulled out a zipper tongue or latch that you pulled on to open and close the zipper. I also know to find silver you have to PASS the coil over it. Is it thaT I AM LOOKING FOR TO MANY REPEATABLE SIGNALS ? My ID numbers are jumping all over the place also :( Does anyone have any hints ?

Gare

It sounds like your unit is substandard when used next to another one. If you have already tried a master reset, It might be time to send it to service and let Minelab take a good look at it. Something is obviously wrong with it, send a copy of your post above with it too.

Well, as I don't know any of your settings I would suggest the old KISS thing, Keep it simple. I would do a restart, then use only the stock coin program, get me a test garden with objects on a paint stick with the stick measured in one inch increments. Then I would go to a volleyball court, or the beach, or anywhere there was ground easy to plant the sticks. Then I would go over them at 2:, then 4" then 6" and make notes as to what is happening, tones, target placement, numbers, etc.. This will give you brain a start place, so that you know the machine works or doesnt! Then I would check the soils., Is it iron heavy, mineralized? You may need to 'ground balance manually'.

It took me about 3 months of daily use to get semi comfortable with the 3030.

I joined up just to post here Gary. I will back you up. The unit is sub standard. I agree he should send it in. I set his machine to run exactly like mine and his did not behave like mine would. There were more than the 54 Rosie that he couldn't lock onto. There was also an 1890 IH and there was also an instance that his machine had him 5" off center of a large that i was able to get dead on with my machine. I watched him set it to stock in a video that he was on the phone with Digger. Even after the master reset an air test of an Slq at manual 30 his machine wasn't seeing the coin as far out as mine.

Send it in Gary!

-Noel

Are you on different frequencies? I dont know what I mean by that except to say that Marks CTX and I were on the same wireless freq and I could hardly get anything when within a hundred feet of him. He had no issue but mine was no depth and could not get many targets. We reset it on a different freq and all was fine.

Noel would find a signal and call me over. He would turn his machine off and i would trun mine on and could not get thje same signal. I would then turn mine off and he would turn his back on and get the signal. WE would USE the EXACT SAME Settings EVERYTHING !!!. Now yesterday like i posted i found a zipper latch (tongue) it was like 1/2 inch long and maybe 1/4 inch wide at about 6 inches. I guess i am going to recall minelab today and send it in before winter.

I had called minelab before and they told me that they would test on certain known targets in the ground like we would. How do they test in the frozen winter then ? I asuming they test outside away from other electrical interfence

I would send the machine in and ask for a fix or a new machine. It isn't that you are making up things, since you have another machine to compare it to. His is obviously working correctly and yours isn't. I can take a much more complicated computer to the any computer repair store and get it fixed and back in operation within a few days.

I wonder if what you need to do is let someone that is well experienced with the CTX use yours for a day to see what they think. The reason I say this is I have seen this many times myself with the Explorers, Sovereigns, E Tracs and a few others. Many times we do comparing on signals to see what some act like and sometimes at different settings as if you haven't notice sometimes one can get a signal and one can not even is set the same. What matter is what a person understands of what we hear and what we don't hear and learn to set our detector to what works for the person that uses the detector even though you can copy the same setting.
Here is a few examples I have seen, First in a Explorer XS as one guy was doing so much better that the other person so they compared signals to see one didn't get some of the signals the one was getting that were deeper, even set the one to the same setting the other one was and still didn't do as well. First thing we thought of was the one Explorer was bad, so the one that was doing well switched the detectors for the next hunt the next day. the same person did well again with the other detector and said he felt it worked better than his did.
I also see this with my Sovereigns as I do well with any one of them, but seen some when we hunt together complain they get no depth and don't get the signals I do even though we use the same settings and check the same signals, but if we switch detectors that person still don't do well.
My first CTX 3030 I didn't do well at all, but was one of the first ones out so I had nothing to compare with and later on found out it had a bad coil, so sent it in and Minelab sent me a new one even though only the coil was bad as it was in the connection where the cable connect to the control box. Got it back and worked much better with much less falsing. This is why I feel you should let a person that is experienced with the CTX try your CTX for a day and see what he thinks on how it works. If you found that small zipper pull as deep as you did you know it may working like it should, but is it always working as it should where someone that is well experienced with a CTX could tell if using it for a day or so. Some quick test don't prove much, but if using it for a day by a well experienced user will I feel. This way if and when you send it in you have a person that is also experienced with the CTX opinion too and it he feels it only act up once in a while or all the time.
I like most like to blame the detector when I cant find much and thought my first 4 Explorers were bad as the guy hunting with me was doing so much better, tried the same setting it didn't help, traded Explorers for a day and he felt mine worked better then his, so I know then it wasn't the detector and had to learn how to make it work the best for me. 4 of the guys that use Explorers or E-Tracs around here I hunt with all use different setting as these work the best for them, but if they try one of the others setting they don't do as well, the secret is knowing your detector and how to set the setting to work the best for you.

Like I say you may have a bad one and to prove it you may have to have a second opinion by someone well experienced with the CTX so you don't send it in to be told it is working just fine and have to send it back several time before they find it, happened to me with other detectors as they don't have the time to use them for a full day trying to find a problem that don't act up for them, so they will do a basic check over and try a few targets to see if it is working right and maybe shake it a bit trying to find a bad connection, but after so long they have to move on to the next detector to be worked on as I am sure they get many sent in that nothing is wrong with as they are not finding what everyone else is when out detecting, so you need that second opinion from a person that is well experienced. Would be nice to send it to Digger wouldn't it?? I think Minelab would take his opinion on it being he was one of the field testers that help them and knows how it works.

Rick

Vez said:
I joined up just to post here Gary. I will back you up. The unit is sub standard. I agree he should send it in. I set his machine to run exactly like mine and his did not behave like mine would. There were more than the 54 Rosie that he couldn't lock onto. There was also an 1890 IH and there was also an instance that his machine had him 5" off center of a large that i was able to get dead on with my machine. I watched him set it to stock in a video that he was on the phone with Digger.

Variances between two detectors of the same make and model is not uncommon. However, based on comments I've heard and read, this unit should be sent in for an evaluation.

One other thing I would like to comment on..... that video you referenced is a VERY sore subject with me. gare-oh had contacted me (last year) to help him better understand his detector. We communicated back and forth via email, and eventually visited by phone......several times. He wanted me to "walk him through" the process while he was using his CTX3030, which I did. Shortly thereafter, I received a copy of a recording that he had made during our phone call. Until then, I was unaware that he had been recording our phone conversation. I immediately contacted him and told him I was not happy with him recording me, without my permission. I don't mind helping others with their detector woes....I just don't subscribe to a "one size fits all" solution. What we discussed was a private conversation, specifically geared to gare-oh and his situation. He then sent me $20, which I returned, along with a reminder that I was very disappointed that he chose to record (without my knowledge or permission) the information I had been willing to share. I now read your post, stating that he allowed you to watch the video made while talking to me on the phone. Unbelievable!

I, too, am still having some difficulty in detecting "good" targets. I don't believe there is anything wrong with my machine or coil(s), it is just that I don't yet fully understand its' language. Coming from a Fisher F75 standard, the CTX is a whole new world. The most important thing I have found, and this may be due to the Bluetooth hookup of the WM10, one needs to swing much slower. When a target is detected, you should swing around it to see if what you hear is being influenced by something close to your original signal. I am still amazed at this machine being able to display two or more targets and give the user an opportunity to home in on what looks good......I have found a silver dime (1954 Rosie) about two inches below a rusty nail and saw both targets on the display. What I don't know, is how to determine what is worth digging, other than "dig everything" to be sure. I have downloaded the eTrac chart of Fe/Co readings for particular finds and it seems to be, for the most part, all over the scale for anything!

Does anyone have any basic rules for what they consider good targets (what should be dug)? I know about repeatable signals on the x/y axis and those items considered high Co, but, there are so many exceptions, that it almost seems that one could simply go out with a shovel and a pinpointer and start digging.

To a degree, gare-oh, I feel your pain.

Everyone stay safe and HH,

Roland58 said:
The most important thing I have found, and this may be due to the Bluetooth hookup of the WM10, one needs to swing much slower.

As with the earlier FBS units, a slower sweep speed may be an important factor when properly processing target information. Although the CTX3030 & WM10 Wireless Audio Module uses the same bandwidth as Bluetooth, it is not Bluetooth. The CTX3030 implements Wi-Stream.

Wi-Stream wireless technology was developed especially for the CTX 3030 to provide no perceivable delay (less than 10 milliseconds, which is 1/100th of a second) This is important for detector users as lags in the audio response make it difficult to locate and pinpoint targets. Wi-Stream does not transmit audio data, like other technologies (e.g. Bluetooth). Instead packets of data are sent to the WM 10 and then converted to an audio signal within the WM 10. This increases the speed of signals and greatly reduces the effects of electrical noise.

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/93182/KBA_21-1-CTX-3030-Audio-Options.pdf

That's some really good info, Digger, thank you......I appreciate it and the link. While we are on the topic, maybe you can tell me why this machine, using the WM10, seems to be much less susceptible to EMI? My F75 can't even get within 100 yds. of a riding lawn mower without going crazy......it's a great detector, but, does not like EMI!! I can walk right under power lines or over buried power and the CTX doesn't seem to mind at all, no adjustments needed. Any thoughts?

Stay safe, Sir.

Discussing why I think the EMI problem is so widely acknowledged on the F75 would be better served on the Metal Detecting forum. But in response to your question here on the CTX3030 forum, I would suggest that some of the reasons that the CTX3030 is much "quieter" is due to the digital connection between the control housing and the smart coil........Auto Sensitivity operating on multiple channels, and not "overdriving" the receive signal........Full Band Spectrum (28 frequencies from 1.5 - 100kHz) technology instead of just an induction balance VLF at 13kHz........ quality "shielding" within the electronic components and board assembly..................and the fact that the CTX3030 offers both Auto NC and manual NC, with the availability of eleven channels. It is not a "trial and error" method using four channels, as stated on page 27 of the F75 manual. JMHO HH Randy

Sounds like the ground balance is engaged. If it were my machine and all the changes you have made has not solved the problem Minelab would have it . HH :minelab:

Thanks, Digger and I apologize for the F75 question in the CTX forum. My reasoning was simply for comparisons between the two and the fact that the CTX seems to be virtually immune to EMI. You sure seem to know your way around metal detectors, your experience is obvious and your sharing of knowledge is much appreciated. My 3 yrs. of detecting with one detector (F75), leaves me in the newbie category, but, I am learning. The CTX is, no doubt, a challenge, however, one that I will surmount......if I last that long!

Thanks again for your time and sharing of expertise.....

Stay safe and HH,

The ctx doesn't like electric fences at all . I have to plan out my hunts with my friends moving cattle to get a clear signal .

I guess I haven't been close to any electric fences with my CTX.......I'll keep that in mind. I do know it does not like to get close to steel poles, like those supporting playground equipment in a tot lot. She will begin screaming when you get within about two feet, regardless of the angle you approach.....I guess that says something for the range of the coil?

with the side by side differences with the CTX3030's try swaping the coils and see if the problem switches to the other detector. good luck !!

The 11" coil emits one heck of signal, and yes it will pick up on steel poles and other metal playground equipment from at least a foot away.

Drop down to a 6" coil and it will let you get a lot closer.

INSAYN said:
The 11" coil emits one heck of signal, and yes it will pick up on steel poles and other metal playground equipment from at least a foot away.

Drop down to a 6" coil and it will let you get a lot closer.

Yeah, I figured that. I have the 11" and 17" coils, but, will have to save a few buck for the 6" (Christmas is a drain). If I really need to get close to iron poles, I always have my F75 as a back-up, even have the sniper coil with it. I don't worry a lot about getting close to the iron poles, just a difference in the detectors that was pretty obvious. For now, I am concentrating on the CTX......downloaded and installed the "Trashy Parks" program last night. It looks a lot like a program (mode) I made for coins in a trashy area....I just modified the Silver mode.

I know we are in the same boat, INSAYN......just keep rowing, we'll get there!!