Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Where are all the CTX users?

THIS thread made me register So, glad to see others still using it!

got mine and an extra coil about a month ago, as many others, went from ace250 to ATPro, to Eq800.. got a thousand hours on that..so, of course...got the CTX
and like the OP, nothing but 10 year old posts and vids.
Savage learning curve like the 800.
Found this forum looking for the elusive gonehuntingforhistory program
Not 100% happy with the silver or coin programs. my package came with sabiches book and a couple of others

GHFH program is nothing but running Combined tone option with Ferrous Coin target separation option. Nothing exotic.

THIS thread made me register So, glad to see others still using it!

got mine and an extra coil about a month ago, as many others, went from ace250 to ATPro, to Eq800.. got a thousand hours on that..so, of course...got the CTX
and like the OP, nothing but 10 year old posts and vids.
Savage learning curve like the 800.
Found this forum looking for the elusive gonehuntingforhistory program
Not 100% happy with the silver or coin programs. my package came with sabiches book and a couple of others
Andy Sabisch book on the ctx is good. After awhile you will be designing your own discrim patterns. But the really important part of the CTX is its very good ability to accurately ID coins. Coins and aluminum trash are far apart on the CO line. Target trace is good seeing and IDing multiple targets under the coil at the same time. Looking for rings? Then look for rings where rings would likely be found. Beaches, volleyball courts, totlots and dig all. I have about 8 months on the CTX. For me much easier to use than the 800. Learn your modes and why they are different and use them appropriately. Just like any detector in the beginning dig everything. It will come to you quickly. The depth gauge is very accurate. When using tones, I mostly use combined tones and leave them as they are so my recognition of tones will be consistent at all times. Sometimes when hunting civil war relics I will assign 3 ringer bullets a very distinct higher tone than all other tones in the combined mode so as to really wake me up when I get an ID in the 3 ringer range.

nothing but 10 year old posts and vids
Those old videos are still relevant. There is no magic "turn on and go" setting for every environment for the CTX. Due to its highly customizable and complex features, it will take trial and error for you to figure out what settings work best for you in your dirt. When you get your coil over what you think is a good target, switch search modes and see what the machine is telling you. Notice the differences based on things like discrimination, fast on/off; deep on/off; ferrous coin; ground coin; high trash; low trash; and seawater. That is the one thing I wish I would have done differently 10 years ago when I got the CTX was experiment more in the beginning. But I came from the E-Trac, so I thought I could replicate my old E-Trac search patterns and go kill it. Same for new CTX users who load up someone else's search mode and use the machine as a turn-on-and-go detector. Your dirt is not the same as my dirt; not the same as Andy's dirt; and not the same as Evan's (GoneHunting) dirt.

I started experimenting more around my fourth or fifth year swinging the CTX, and I now have a clutch of very customized search patterns that work with deadly precision in specific conditions in my dirt. I know I missed targets in my early days with the CTX because just last month I re-visited an old site that I had declared "hunted out" in 2015. My perfected search pattern sniffed out nine (!) additional silver coins that other detectorists and I missed in the past. Put in the hours and experiment with the settings. You will be happy that you did.

That is basically what I have come to learn and am starting to do that. My CW sites are different from my park sites where I hunt coins. It is pretty easy to switch modes and find out if that coin sounds better in HT or FC and learn from that info.

New ctx owner here but not new to detecting. Coming from an etrac it shouldn’t be that hard. Just received mine in the mail today. Now the learning begins.

New ctx owner here but not new to detecting. Coming from an etrac it shouldn’t be that hard. Just received mine in the mail today. Now the learning begins.
that should be easy for you. I came from 3 years using an 800. The learning curve was made much easier with the help of forum member with tons of experience with the CTX. For me this is the perfect machine.

I took it out for the first time in my yard. I noticed it’s much quieter than my Etrac. Running the stock programs for now. I did find a dine that was about 2 inches deep. It was a clad dime. Nothing to show, probably get out tomorrow and play with it.

I took it out for the first time in my yard. I noticed it’s much quieter than my Etrac. Running the stock programs for now. I did find a dine that was about 2 inches deep. It was a clad dime. Nothing to show, probably get out tomorrow and play with it.
I have had mine for 10 months now after using Nox 800 for three years. Love this detector. Really not hard to learn. High trash and ferrous coin pay close attention to what the manual has to say about these modes. Very helpful when trying to get stable TID's.

The CTX has been out for 10 years now. I was one of the early adopters getting it one in first month or so.

And I still use it.

I was one of the first to get the Nox 800. I don't use it at all, sold it after 3 years and bought a detector better suited for me, my CTX3030.

Congrats on the CTX. I'm new to the CTX as well. Just received it the other day and got out with it for a few hours this morning and I can tell I'm going to love this thing. Found a few clad coins and a copper disc about 8" deep. Thought at first it was an LC cause it's the same diameter, but it's really thin and can't make out any details. Possibly a flat button but I didn't see where a shank would have been attached.

When I started looking into the CTX I also noticed there wasn't many newer posts, but there is still a ton of good info out there. I watched a ton of videos and studied Andy's book, in addition to browsing the forums. Seems like folks really like the Nox and Deus. I have both (and AT Pro) but I'm ready to off-load the 800. I know some people really love the Nox but I just couldn't connect with it. I'm sure it's a great machine for some, but not me. I dug more trash with it then I do with the AT Pro. Yeah, the CTX is a little on the heavy side but when I dig more keepers than trash - ON MY FIRST HUNT WITH IT - I'll gladly deal with the weight!
I have had the box 800 for a few years and I have found a lot but I think the ctx is a up grade I mean 1 khz to 100 is better than just to 40

I bought my new CTX3030 30 days ago. Very few CTX owners post here any more. Lots of good archival stuff. Did they all buy Nox 800 or XP Deus detectors?
Same with other forums. Actually this is the best forum for CTX info. It is just older stuff. Which is not bad, because CTX info is pretty timeless. Just wondering.
The CTX is no deeper than an equinox and not as as fast AS NOX .mINE CAN'T HIT A COIN AT 5 INCHES

Hi all . I'm new to Ctx as well recently upgraded from nox 800. Slowly progressing from explorer to the ctx now. I'm always wanted to own one but couldn't afford it. I'm looking forward for new adventure with ctx.
Cheers

whelp..... the used ctx i got, came with a harness... hated it, but honestly last time out caught myself getting lazy after a couple of hours, broke out the 800 to keep going, but honestly the CTX has me spoiled, so last night spent an hour maybe screwing around with the harness, converted to LH, got the wife to help as I've never even worn a backpack, and honestly...I think....its a game changer...
i may use the 14x9 coiltek it came with too, dear feck that things heavy!
the rig makes that thing just float, still needs field tweeking.
no idea how i'm going to do the finds bag, pinpointer, or hand trowel AND that wrap around monkey on my back, but.... i have some huge fields that are suddenly doable

I see the 14x9 coiltek coil got negative reviews early in 2017, the date on mine puts it around 2019, advantage over the stock coil, other than more coverage? I am lovin the pinpoint on the stock coil, as tight as running the euqinox and 6* coil, tiny plugs